Help with 360 I.D.

-

BrianT

Here we go again...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody. I bought a running 360 last night for a couple hundred bucks and I'm trying to get some more info on it. The casting numbers are 4006830-360-5 which I know aren't much help, so I cleaned off the stamping pad and the only thing I see is what looks like a backwards J and the number 3. This is contrary to everything I've been able to look up. Can anyone shed some light on this block for me?
upload_2017-7-13_6-48-28.jpeg

On the driver's cylinder head I found these casting numbers 2658920-4 and 08256

That's what I've been seeing so far. Those are closed chamber heads on a 360? The intake was a Holley Street Dominator with an Edelbrock 750 carb. It also had headers. Maybe someone had built a hot little torque engine for their 3/4 ton snow pusher???

"I can tell you" how that runs, I've been there. Around 197?? 7? I sold a 360 with 273 heads "because that was what I had" the thing was an absolute torque monster.........up to about 4500RPM and then you either shift or shut off the key and give up, because it just did NOT breath "up there" LMAO

There's where I want to be. This is going in a truck with an OD transmission. Not going to be a hot rod, I've got the Dart for that. I'm gonna pull the heads and see what's been done and then pick out a cam to match. I want to run a Performer intake a 600 carb and I have a pair of cheap headers. Should be fun for running around town and decent on the highway with 3.23 gears and OD.

Hey everybody. I bought a running 360 last night for a couple hundred bucks and I'm trying to get some more info on it. The casting numbers are 4006830-360-5 which I know aren't much help, so I cleaned off the stamping pad and the only thing I see is what looks like a backwards J and the number 3. This is contrary to everything I've been able to look up. Can anyone shed some light on this block for me?
View attachment 1715068804
On the driver's cylinder head I found these casting numbers 2658920-4 and 08256

Here's how to decode the block info:

How to ID a Small Block Engine Block:

Personally I think running those small port heads on a 360 is a mistake. My experience was a thing that happened back then. The only reason I left the 318 heads on my temporary engine a few years back was because the 360 heads drop compression on a 318, and there's some argument whether you gain or lose. In years past, I also had 360 heads on the 318 in my old Landcruiser with a mild cam, and it WAS a bit doggy bottom end. The cam was more mild than a 340 so it was not the cam.

-
Back