Help with '69 Barracuda door vent window

-

larryo340

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm just recently found this site, and need some help for a friend.

My buddy has a 1969 Barracuda Formula S 340 that he's had for a long time. More than 10 years ago we gathered alot of NOS sheetmetal for the car as the body was very rough including the drivers door shell. He had the new door installed along with all the other metal work that the car needed completed 10 years ago and believe it or not, just now he is starting to work on it to complete it.

Now for the problem....

When I recently tried to install the drivers vent window assembly for him I made a surprising discovery.... it won't fit. There is a metal "support" on the replacement door instead of a slot where one of the vent window mounts is. It's the one that's accessed thru the little hole on the painted interior side of the door. I'm sure the door is from a '67 or a '68 Barracuda, but want to confirm that with all the knowledge you guys have here. I think the easiest way out is to find a vent window assembly from the correct year Barracuda rather than to replace the door with a used door. That would suck considering it was new.

These are pictures of the NOS door shell from outisde the door and inside the door:

100_5567.jpg

100_5569.jpg

100_5573-1.jpg

This is what the original drivers side vent widnow mount looks like (picture is of the right side)

Ventwindow.jpg

See more pictures of the car on my photobucket:

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm288/larryo340/Scotts Barracuda/

The vent windows are the same for all three years. That "extra" metal looks like someone welded in the handling tabs that are on some parts from the stamping operation.

The vent windows are the same for all three years. That "extra" metal looks like someone welded in the handling tabs that are on some parts from the stamping operation.

no they arent. there is deffinitely a difference in 67-69. i found this out the hard way after my car was apinted and buffed out. i drilled out the spotwelds, switched the vent window brackets around as my 69 were the nicest i had and they were complete. you will also run into issues with the lock and inside handle hardware. i know. check the location of the inside door lock hole and the location of the side view mirror. those will give you more of an idea on the year. i think both were changed for 69. the lock moved foward, the mirror moved back.

67 vent window uses different hardware there too. They will have a chrome phillips head screw showing where 68 & 69 have a plastic plug.
The hole for the lock button moved on 69 only.

no they arent. there is deffinitely a difference in 67-69. i found this out the hard way after my car was apinted and buffed out. i drilled out the spotwelds, switched the vent window brackets around as my 69 were the nicest i had and they were complete. you will also run into issues with the lock and inside handle hardware. i know. check the location of the inside door lock hole and the location of the side view mirror. those will give you more of an idea on the year. i think both were changed for 69. the lock moved foward, the mirror moved back.

I am going to Carlisle on Sunday and I'll try to find a door for a '67 just to see what that area looks like. We took care of the inside door lock knob by drilling the hole after measuring the right side door, and the latch and locks all are working fine.

If it's just a matter of removing those "tabs" I'll do it.

67 vent window uses different hardware there too. They will have a chrome phillips head screw showing where 68 & 69 have a plastic plug.
The hole for the lock button moved on 69 only.

That's what I thought, my '67 Dart GT had the screw head flush with the door. Do you know if the vent window assembly is different than the '68 and '69? The last picture in my first post shows the mounting for the '39 window.

Thanks guys for the infor so far, and if anyone else can add anything I would greatly apprieciate it.

I dont think the vent window assembly changed at all . Just the bracket and hardware design changed. The hole in the door didn't move. I dont have samples to compare here. sorry

-
Back