help with 8 3/4, some questions

-

streetdak

Reaction score
so I bought a 67 charger shell that had a drum to drum 8 3/4 for $100, too good of a deal to pass up. I intend to put it in my 74, so my question is, can I buy aftermarket a-body axles, and just have the housing shortened or am I going to need to get some different pieces. any help would be great, looking to go bbp.

Your 74 A-body? You are starting with a clean sheet of paper so to speak. Yes you can have it shortened to any length you want and them order the correct length axles from a supplier like Moser.

Move the perches in on that housing 1/2" each side and bolt it in. That's what I have in my 74 Sport. Also if you look from the back of the car forward, you will see that your front wheel width is wider than the rear. That B rear will take care of that too.

Is that B rear BBP already?

Notice in my sig pic below, I'm running stock Rallye wheels too.

Your 74 A-body? You are starting with a clean sheet of paper so to speak. Yes you can have it shortened to any length you want and them order the correct length axles from a supplier like Moser.
Yea my 74 Dart Sport. I was looking to basically just buy as least as possible, I was going to order some new axles from superior axle for a abody, and then just get the housing shortened.

Move the perches in on that housing 1/2" each side and bolt it in. That's what I have in my 74 Sport. Also if you look from the back of the car forward, you will see that your front wheel width is wider than the rear. That B rear will take care of that too.

Is that B rear BBP already?

Notice in my sig pic below, I'm running stock Rallye wheels too.

No Kiddin?? Wow, this may be all i need to do for a while, ive noticed how far that the back wheels sit in, then I imagine i just need to make my adjustment in the offset of the wheels I buy. I think I'll do it this way

Is that B rear BBP already? Did they make a SBP B body 8 3/4?

I think it is, but yes some earlier 8 3/4's were sbp in the early A's

Before and after the rearend change. I am also running factory Rallyes on it with factory backspacing.

Attachments

• before rear.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 249
  • after rear.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 221
If you decide to go this route, make sure and scribe a line from the perches inward. I did that so I could keep the factory pinion angle. It was a fairly straight forward thing to do.

Your emergency brake cables will work as well, BUT you have to loosen the adjustment under the passenger side front seat, under the car, so you can get both sides hooked up.

By the way you will more than likely have to shorten and re-balance your driveshaft.

Attachments

• rear in car.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 204
I put a b-body 8 1/4 (44oc) in my 72 without moving the perches it fell right into place.

Some folks do and it will work, but more than likely over time it will wear out your spring bushings because each spring is now 1/2" out with side pressure.

If it "fell" into place your bushings are probably already worn.

I'm not saying it's the wrong thing to do, don't get me wrong. I just decided to stay with the original configuration.

Yea my spring bushings are well worn. I plan on moving the springs under the frame so I didn't want to move the perches twice.

So I just want to ask, if I go from 7.25 a-body to 8.75 b-body is the swap just as painless as well? Move the perches by .5" and the wheels will just sit 1" further out per side? shorten the drive shaft and done?

As I posted in #4, I was just trying to be nice.

yeah I read your original question wrong, I failed to see the "B" in it and I was just referencing all 8 3/4's in general. So by me saying I wanted to stick with BBP, I was referencing that If I needed to shorten the housing, and needed to buy A body axles I wanted to make sure I bought BBP axles, which apparently don't exist. Thanks a ton for being nice about it, SGBARRACUDA

Lonewolf3165 however I'll give the benefit of the doubt, i don't think he wasn't trying to be rude with his bolding, cause I don't mind a knowledgeable person, but can't stand a know-it-all who is a jerk about knowing it all lol

-
Back