Help with block ID

-

SSG_Karg

Enhanced member
Reaction score
Picked up my 340 block from the machine shop few days ago. Was looking it over and noticed a couple things that threw me off. First of all I noticed the word "RACE" stamped on the front wall, behind where the cam gear would be. Second, there are no numbers stamped on the ID pad on the pan rail. On the rear china wall, I has R2 cast into it. Can someone ID this- maybe warranty block, early race block?

Attachments

• motor 019.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 193
  • motor 020.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 192
  • motor 021.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 206
  • motor 022.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 190
  • motor 023.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 216
are there any number on the left side under the head mounting surface? these would be stamped not cast.
So far nothing seems odd other than it being maybe a warranty block. If it is a 68 cast engine the vin stamp sometimes will be on the lip where the trans bolts to the block and not the pad. when was the block cast?

The X-blocks are marked as a 318 not a 340.

Thanks Krazy, I checked this out already. Good info but it didn't really explain the word "RACE" stamped on the front or the lack of any numbers stamped anywhere else. None on the pan rail and none on the front just below the deck surface. It's a 1970 casting.
Anyone ever seen any blocks with the "RACE" stamping?

It could be one of the MP race blocks, I don't know how they are marked/identified...

What do the main bearing saddles look like? Post a picture...

Maybe they marked it race so when you destroy it you cannot get a replacement. May not really be anything at all special about the casting itself.

Post up more pictures of the block from all sides so we can take a look...

That's the same casting number that was used on 340's from 68-73 according to the mymopar reference section.

We need to see more pictures of all sides and markings to be able to tell any more...

for all we know someone took a stamp and marked the block for their own personal reference. The stamping isn't square either. Machine shops stamp info on blocks all the time. Customer information etc..
There are just to many variables but none seem consistent to what Chrysler, Direct Connection or Mopar performance would have done or do now.

A few more pics. I forgot to mention the holes in the lifter valley that were drilled and tapped. I'm guessing they are for crossover oiling, they were plugged with pipe plugs when I bought the block. Still have no idea why there are no numbers on it and the word race is on the front.

Attachments

• motor2 005.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 81
  • motor2 004.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 85
  • motor2 003.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 77
  • motor2 002.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 92
  • motor2 001.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 103
  • motor2 008.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 89
What about in front of the engine just under the left head? Are there any marks there?

to me, it doesn't look like a race block as the main bearing saddles are the same as a stock production block. I am thinking that it is a 71 340 engine that was a warranty replacement if it wasn't the original engine in the car...

Someone who worked on it since it is out of the factory may have stamped the 'FACE' in it for some reason....

-
Back