help with cam choice with kb190

-

berry-cuda

Reaction score
hi there im building my 360 i have kb 190 pistons and need help with cam choice i run j heads with 2.02 it will be about 10.1 compression and used for street strip applications. 391 gears and a 3 speed OD std trans. 750 carb and dual plane intake. have anyone ran with these pistons before? i think i will need thicker gaskets because the compression will be to high the way it is now the heads are 67cc what do you think would be my best cam choice or what have people ran in the past with these pistons and how did it work out? thanks for the help

You can always stick a roller cam in it. Roller cams bring you into the power curve sooner and keep you there longer than a flat tappet cam.

hydraulics max out about 6k or 6.5k max rpms. dont believe the bunk even if you get NASA approved hydraulic lifters etc.

solids you can go higher.

roller versions have less drag so you get a little more horsepower back and theoretically might run cooler. however they take skill to get them blueprinted properly. i.e. they require a good knowledge of engine building to get all the clearances right etc.

as far as what cam. lower compression = a waste to have high lift. you dont put a .650 lift cam on a 7.5:1 engine for instance. (unless you have it turbo'ed or supercharged, special case)

at 10:1 you could go .480 lift or .520 or maybe a little higher. maybe even .580 or .590. keep in mind however, as you venture up past .520 you will need proper valve springs (spec'ed for the cam) as well as checking all clearances at all rotations of the camshaft. it takes a bit of work. you dont want to throw a .550 lift cam in there with stock springs and find out your springs are binding or rockers hitting or something, then have parts fly around loose in your engine as you are tooling down the road heading to the beach.

cam manufacturers will tout this and that and people will take sides saying my lunati metal is better steel than that crower blah blah blah and my ramp is quicker etc.

at the end of the day what you want is a good amount of lift and duration, dont go way overboard or way underboard either. but make sure you have the springs to match and know how to check valve clearances and rocker clearances etc. if you want to go a little high.

Well awhile back I bought a com cam 20-232-4 it's a .480 lift and 280 duration and 110deg centreline the reason I chose it was it was one of the bigger cams I could get with getting away with single valve springs I was told my j heads would have to be machined to fit dual springs, so now I got my heads completely redone and I will check my valve clearances now I think I will have to run .060" heads gaskets just to bring my compression down to 10.1 I have also heard that bigger cams help bleed off high compression

That's why I suggested a solid.

Yeah I was looking at that cam do you think it's still street able? I was kinda hoping to keep my dual plane intake how much would it affect me to keep it instead of switching to single plane I'm looking for a decent amount of torque out of the hole

Better, kinda big. I used to call Comp,ask for a split grind. The 280h Magnum on intake lobes,292 h Magnum on exhaust lobes. The extra duration bleeds off the cylinder pressure. JMHO....

Yeah I was looking at that cam do you think it's still street able? I was kinda hoping to keep my dual plane intake how much would it affect me to keep it instead of switching to single plane I'm looking for a decent amount of torque out of the hole

Everyone's idea of streetable is different.
I ran this cam in a 10.1 360 with a victor junior intake
And I loved it.
But I didn't have power brakes and live in VT so I was not in traffic alot.
Might not work for you.
Take your time and find out what works for you.
Goodluck.

Call howard cams (920) 233.5228
They will custom grind you a cam for your combo. I think they make some of the best cams out there and are cheap for what you get!

-
Back