Help With Carburetor selection, Please.

-

ValiantGuy

Reaction score
I have a 1960 plymouth valiant with a stock 170 slant 6 in it. I am going to *possibly* soon put a 225 slant 6 in it that i have in my garage. I would like to put a [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Edelbrock 500 CFM 4 brl carb. Do you think that it would be to much for the 225 engine? If yes, then would it be better to do a 2 barrel carb? (I have a non stock intake manifold that works with the edelbrok, im just hesitant, because I'm not exactly sure if it will be to much for the 225 or 170)
Thanks,
Corey
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Corey
Thats way to much carb for the 170 and Most 225's. That being said the Eddy is ok because its a vac advance carb. This is the carb I run on all my race slants. For just stock street engines I recommend a 2 bbl Carter BBD or Holley 2280 you just dont need any more than that. If you Really want more carb a Holley 5200 500cfm will fit the bill.
Good luck,
Frank

The referenced Holley should work ok. You may want the Mopar linkage setup??? A 500cfm will do anything but all out race engines.
The 2280 was a factory piece on some of the super six cars. It is compairable to a Carter BBD. I dont think the 2280 is still made.
Frank

That being said the Eddy is ok because its a vac advance carb.
Frank

Correction, Vacuum secondary is what your trying to say and that is not exactly correct, but suiteable for the idea.

Corey, I agree with Frank, a 2bbl. is what you should be looking at for an upgrade on a /6. It'll take a bit for a 500 to be working at it's capcity, but it's doable.

Ok thanks you guys! I'm using a Hyperpak intake manifold that i have from Clifford Preformance. This is not a racing rid, just for street but with a little beef for fun!
Do you guys have any other suggestions? I'm pretty new with slant sixes and i thought a beefed up slant six would be cooler than jamming a hemi into my valiant!
Thanks again,
Corey

Here is the intake manifold That i will most likely be using if seeing it is any help to you guys...
http://www.cliffordperformance.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CP&Product_Code=45-4800&Category_Code=MY

That manifold is a very poor choice for what you are trying to do. I don't have any personal experiance with the Hurricane two bbl manifold, but if you want "eye candy" it should function well, or a stock cast iron "super six" manifold will be very functional.
http://www.aussiespeed.com/details/?page_id=110

Frank (66acuda) can help you out with one of the Hurricane manifolds.

When I had a \6 in my Barracuda I ran a Holley 390 cfm 4bbl. That combined with an Offy 4bbl intake, headers, a small cam and slight increase in compression via head decking made for a very good running 6 cylinder.

Slant6.jpg

350cfm holley 2 brl is what I would run on a stock to very mild slant.

390 4 barrel would be what I would run on warmed up/performance slant.

500'+'cfm 4 barrel is what I would run on a street/strip slant.

cam/app/driving style/trans/gear is really what's gonna dictate how much/lil carb will work best for you.

Ok thanks you guys.
Do you think you could possibly lay out a setup i might want (I feel im getting alot of information here and its kinda hard to dig through it to find the right set up)
Just a new intake manifold with a good carb And any other things that would be required with those. I'm not looking for real "Race" power its just a street ride but i want some beef to give my valiant /6 some muscle. Nothing too powerful or crazily priced, but please not to weak.
Thanks and links/pictures would be appreciated!
Thanks so much again,
Corey

That Aussie intake is a nice intake. IF I was just doing a basic bolt on and mild cam step up, the 2bbl. unit I would use. That oughtta work really nice.

What did they want for the Aussie equipment?

That Aussie intake is a nice intake. IF I was just doing a basic bolt on and mild cam step up, the 2bbl. unit I would use. That oughtta work really nice.

What did they want for the Aussie equipment?
Which 2bbl would you use? The holly 500cfm? or a different one? I'm planning on getting a new intake manifold (I would actually like to get that aussie intake) and new headers but yes my main priority would be the carb and cam set up.

Which 2bbl would you use? The holly 500cfm? or a different one? I'm planning on getting a new intake manifold (I would actually like to get that aussie intake) and new headers but yes my main priority would be the carb and cam set up.

I would use the Holley 350 cfm carb. The barrels on the 500 are a little too large to get a good signal for low speed operation, with street gearing and a torque stock converter. You could use the 500, but I think you would be happier with the 350.

I would use the Holley 350 cfm carb. The barrels on the 500 are a little too large to get a good signal for low speed operation, with street gearing and a torque stock converter. You could use the 500, but I think you would be happier with the 350.
Ok great! Thank you! I'm happy with really what ever works for now. Because this is one of my first projects. Is there a certain camshaft or anything else that i should use with the Holley 350 cfm carb?
Thanks again,
Corey!

Is there a certain camshaft or anything else that i should use with the Holley 350 cfm carb?
Thanks again,
Corey!

You don't match camshafts with carbs, but, rather size the carb for the engines intended useage/power output. The cam will be selected on needs, RPM operating band and lift, what the heads are capable of, useage of the engines build.

You don't match camshafts with carbs, but, rather size the carb for the engines intended useage/power output. The cam will be selected on needs, RPM operating band and lift, what the heads are capable of, useage of the engines build.
Sorry my bad, So then do you have a recommendation for a camshaft for a street ride that would give me enough power? As you probably know im running a 225 /6 I'm also willing to get new/upgrade headers and intake manifold. If you have any suggestions...

Sorry, no, not exactly.

What is your gear ratio, tire size and intended target for performance?

The 350 2bbl. carb is plenty for the street and headers are a plus. As far as a intake goes, my knowledge falls a bit short on this area for the /6's. Alot of the intake selection would be based on what cam and performance taget your looking to get.

IIRC, the super6 intake should be very good for the street and mild upgrades. I noticed the Aussies have a intake in 2 or 4 bbl. versions that look very good. They call it the "Hurricane"

Honestly I am not sure What the gear ratio on this car right now is *Because i do not know the history of this car. I would imagine that the ratio would be stock therefore being *1st = 2.71 *2nd = 1.83 *3 = 1 to 1 *Reverse = 3.49

Currently the tire size is a 13in But that could change...
I was wondering if you could look at a manifold that I'm thinking about..
http://www.cliffordperformance.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CP&Product_Code=45-4800&Category_Code=MY
This is a "Hyperpak" manifold that was originally built by Chrysler...
Here was the Chrysler set up...
hyperpak.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you give me any advice as to if these headers are anygood?..
http://www.cliffordperformance.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CP&Product_Code=55-0010&Category_Code=MY

Once again!,
Thank you so much,
Corey

-
Back