Help with circuit board pin

-

bvt69dart

Technically Challenged!
Reaction score
I'm currently replacing the dash pad on my new 'cuda and I discovered pin broken off the inst cluster circuit board. Can it be repaired? The pin is for the right turn signal indicator. Pictures of the board and completed pad replacement. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMGP1243.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 154
  • IMGP1234.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMGP1235.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 146
There's been numerous posts on this. One way is to find some solid copper wire which fits inside the pin. You bring it through the board, up through the pin for reinforcement. You want this scraped CLEAN and be good with soldering. Too much heat can ruin the board.

On some of these boards be careful on the BACK of the board, because there is not much room there between the board and the metal cluster housing. You might need some thin plastic, etc for an insulation barrier

My 67 was so bad (several broken and or loose pins) that I simply soldered wires to each pad and brought them out to Molex style connectors.

I soldered the pin back to the tracer, then super glued the pin to the board. Took a couple tries, but it worked.

Thanks guys, the Molex connector idea sounds like it would ease reassembly also. Restorations can be so much fun...

One or more broken pins at that connector isn't so rare. In my experience the very top pin on the other board is much more often broken. The slickest alteration I have seen was the use of trailer harness connector ( small, flat, 4 or 5 ports ) to replace the 3 pins on the smaller board.
One sad case I saw was huge gobs of solder holding the pins to the copper trace. Next time the connector was pulled they brought ribbons of copper off the board with them.
I cant post this pic too often. This is a spot where the circuit board extends beyond the housing. We have a tendency to grab and lift the panel here ( its narrowest point ), but its a bad move.
Before I ship a panel I cover this spot with tape and advise the installer to leave it until the last minute.

Attachments

• DOH! factor.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 134
-
Back