help with heater

-

1970-dart

Reaction score
my 70 swinger is a factory a/c car that was a slant 6 car as well. When i did the v-8 swap i stripped out the a/c stuff because i dont use it anyway but now its getting colder and im not ready to park the car yet.

i had just bypassed the heater core when i did the swap because it was summer and i had time to worry about it later. I went and got heater hoses and clamps and got that hooked up and put in new thermostat and filled new antifreeze.

i need to replace the heater control eventually because i need to wiggle it to get the fan to come on but it works fine after it comes on. The one that switches from hot to cold goes direct to the heater box so that's easy and working fine.

my problem is the rest of it because it runs off vacuum and with the a/c system removed and the small block swap everything is gone and i have no clue where to hook up the lines or even which ones to use. there is a set of ( i will get pics later today ) three lines coming out of the firewall near the heater box.

i have heat now because i just got up under the dash and pulled/pushed the rods to get some heat coming out of the defroster ad some on the floor. seeings i have heat and its blowing good in the places i need and i dont get driven much in the cold, im not sure if its worth the trouble to mess with the vacuum lines but if its a easy fix then its a easy choice.

the car is a a buddies house because i did head gaskets and i needed a oil pan gasket and had to wait for it to come in today. i will get and post a pic later today of the lines that come out of the firewall.

thanks in advance

If you will refer to the thread started by sargentrs, most of what is discussed there will apply to your situation as well.

I assume you mean you removed the ac lines under the hood but left the AC box under the dash. In that case life will be easier but you will still need to get a vacuum diagram out of the FSM so that the pushbutton controls do what you ask them to do.

You have a couple actuators, the water shutoff valve if a '70 has one and the reservoir that are all tied in to the vacuum system, so I'd make that your first priority.

I will check it out and thanks.I might not even mess with it if it becomes a big job because i adjusted the arms under the dash so I have good heat blowing from the floor and the defrosters and that's all I really need for the little I drive it in the cold.

Thanks

-
Back