help with installing my 8 3/4

-

snowmobiler7c

Reaction score
I have a 70 dart swinger 318 car. I just recently pulled the stock axle and have been painting my underbody. I will be ready to mount my new springs and axle into the car in the next couple days. I dont think it matters but my center section is a 3:55 sure grip unit. I bought this from a guy that supposebly pulled it out of a running car. My probem is it isnt complete. I beleive eveything is there but the center section is not in the axle. I have not removed the axles from the housing as he did put them back into it. Just curious if anyone has any suggestions on properly assembling it and possibly checking the center section and the bearings before final assembly. IF there are any write ups on disassembly and reassembly that would be great.
thanks for any input
mark

I'm a little confused to your question, but here is some general info I have found on the 8 3/4 from past experience, incase it helps.
The 8 3/4 uses a pumpkin carrier, like a Ford 9", or like a Toyota housing. To pull the pumpkin (where the gears are), you need to first pull the axles. You will need to pull your drums off, then unbolt the axles. Slide both axles out, and then remove the carrier. I would just turn the yoke with your hand and make sure everything spins freely, without any rubbing or grinding. Check the gears for any cracks or chips, or any noticable problems. Clean the old gear oil out, bolt the pumpkin back in with a new gasket, slide the axles back in, bolt them in with new gaskets. Then remove the square bolt in the pumpkin, and fill it up with 80/90 gear oil, until it is level with the hole. The 8 3/4 is pretty tough, so you shouldn't have any problems.

ok thanks sounds easy enough. The pumpkin is already out i will just have unblot the axles. I think i am going to replace the axle bearings just for safe measure while i have them out. I imagine there are seals that should also be replace and are there any shims or anything else that i need to watch out for? thanks
mark

For sure chenge the wheel bearings and gaskets... It will save you in the end instead of having to rip it all apart again...

Will do! how hard is it to install these bearings at home? I do have a 20ton press just havent used it much.

-
Back