Help with leaf springs for my car?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I had a slant 6 car, and I now have a 360 with about 400hp.
My car did come with a 8 1/4 rear end I am replacing it with a 8 3/4.
I am thinking I should get new springs. The tires are getting pretty chewed up as it sits now, so I'm thinking at least a 1" lift should be helpful.
It will mostly be a steet car, but I would like to take it to the track a couple times a year.

I did see the XHD springs, and the SS Springs on sale ($230.00 for a set). What would you recomend for my application? I noticed they had 2800, and 3000 springs. I'm not sure what that matters?

Thanks much!

It matters if you don't want the car to sit higher than 1" more than what you're looking for. Personally, I don't like the SS springs because they usually put the rear up higher than I like even with the lower rate. I like my cars low and that can still be done with a heavy duty spring but with less arch. If there's a spring shop near you, I would call them first.

the ss springs will jack the car up like air shockes . i didn`t know until after they were installed i had to pull 2'' lowering blocks .they said that the factory 340 springs would raise it up prolly bout a 1'' or 2'' not like 4''

That is 1 inch higher than stock so if yours are saging it will be more of a lift. I run the S/S 3000lb springs on my Dart and like them. If your not going to take it to the track much the XHD's may be a better option.

If the XHD don't give quite the lift I need, is it so bad to use air shocks for an extra 1" or so? These springs I have don't seem to sag at all, and are only 3 leafs... I think?

If the XHD don't give quite the lift I need, is it so bad to use air shocks for an extra 1" or so? These springs I have don't seem to sag at all, and are only 3 leafs... I think?

Yes it is bad.

Bad because......

1. Shocks are not designed to hold the car up.

2. (Mostly this) If you are getting new springs, you should be getting the right springs and not need air shocks.

XHD springs can be ordered in stock, stock +1", stock +2" and so on.

Ok will do! Is there anything else I need to buy other then the springs? The hangers on my car are pretty good. Do I need bigger U bolts going from a 8 1/4 to a 8 3/4? Or should it swap out?

Thanks!

Most just cut the old U bolts off and put new ones on. There so crusty/rusty most of the time it is just easyer that way. May want to fet some rear shackle bushings. Front one should be pressed in all ready.

-
Back