Help with new gas tank

-

1974PlymouthDuster

Reaction score
Hi all, As posted a little while ago, I purchased a new Spectre gas tank and all the junk to go along with it..

Tank
Foam Pad
Straps
Filler Grommet
Felt strips for Straps
tank included a gasket and lockring

I phosphotized the tank with some etching stuff from home depot, cleaned it off, and hit with two liberal coats of rustoleum professional grade rubberized undercoating.

Put in new filler grommet (put in tank first, then slide on filler) Lubed up both mating surfaces with power steering fluid, as I read this is the only automotive fluid that wont attack the rubber?

For the life of me, I cant shove, jiggle, or force this tank on the neck sufficiently to allow the tank to line up in the filler tube.

Currently, it is sitting about 2-3" too far to the right/passenger side, and won't clear the frame rail on the pass/right side because it won't slide on the filler tube.

I haven't done this job on a plymouth before, so is there a trick? Angles, etc

Thanks guys!

-Ryan

Have you disconnected the fill tube from the fender? It may give the flex you need, then fasten last.

That was going to be my next attempt - Thanks Kit!! will let you know how I end up, are there any other tricks you guys have tried for this project?

Got the tank done yesterday. The filler neck did come out, then I put the gas tank in place. This then prevented the filler neck tube from going in, because of the reduced clearance from tank hole and inner body panel. Some crowbar work against the inside of the quarter panel, but it finally got done.

Filled up with 16 gal and no problems so far. Thanks!

If one has 3 arms, it still a chore to put in tank. Two to manuver tank, one to manuver filler tube loose in fender.

-
Back