Help with Power Wagon roof rust

-

340doc

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy back my 79 Crew Cab Power Wagon for a good price. The only thing holding me up is each front corner of the roof got real bad, to the point that the inside sheet metal of the cab needs repaired by the sunvisor mounts also. Any older truck owners on here that have addressed this? I cant find any patch panels for this area. The windshield is coming out anyway. I know this is a problem area for these trucks and cant believe no one makes anything for it. I thought about finding a 80's reg cab pickup and cutting the two corners out and fitting them in. I believe the outer roofline is different but I can make a panel for that. I'm mainly concerned about the inside, and the ledge where the windshield mounts. I'm thinking it might be the same. Will welcome any suggestions.

Well....I have a 70 Power wagon (my Avitar) with the same issues. The only way to fix it right in my opinion is to find another roof. Unless you can make panels. I cleaned my gutter out with a wire brush and used the extend metal prep and then used what I think it is called AlMetal or something like that. It is a good body putty with metal particles in it. It is still not the quality of the new roof. My inside I tried to clean it good and took it to the bare metal and fiberglassed it and then tried to coat behind (mine has a cardboard interior roof panel) with like POR 15 but like everyone says...you just can't stop rust. Good luck and let me know if you find anything that works.

I appreciate your input. If it were just the outside I guess I wouldn't be so hesitant.

If you can get the outside sealed off and painted I always put two coats of brush on undercoat on all the inside surfaces under the rain gutter and above the door (upper) jam before installing the headliner. If water ever does get under the rain gutter into the cab it can't cause any rust!!

treblig

The inside worries me more that the outside. I can poke my fingers through the inside metal by the sunvisor.

The inside worries me more that the outside. I can poke my fingers through the inside metal by the sunvisor.

I'm talking about "after" you get it repaired. I had to put a new roof on my 68 W300 Power Wagon after I rolled it. You don't have to replace the whole roof....just the front corner section that include the sun visor brackets (that's a lot easier).

Treblig

The only permanent repair is to replace with parts from a more solid truck. To be honest, it would be easier finding a truck out west and bringing it back, or the cab, and replace the whole cab. 80s vintage are not the same in that area. You need a 73-79 cab or parts donor.

-
Back