Help with Rallye harness replacing standard harness 70 dart

-

70CRUSH

Reaction score
I'm replacing standard dash with rallye dash/frame and cluster/rallye harness. I'm noticing that wire colors and positions in the bulk head disconnect are not matching the standard wire harness. I thought I could just replace the old harness with rallye harness - plug and play? Also the two 10 pin steering cloumn white plugs on the rallye harness don't match the standard plug wire colors.. Would appreciate any thoughts on this.

I'm replacing standard dash with rallye dash/frame and cluster/rallye harness. I'm noticing that wire colors and positions in the bulk head disconnect are not matching the standard wire harness. I thought I could just replace the old harness with rallye harness - plug and play? Also the two 10 pin steering cloumn white plugs on the rallye harness don't match the standard plug wire colors.. Would appreciate any thoughts on this.
Somebody did a write up a while back on this. I took a screenshot of this. I don't know who did the write up. Maybe this will help.

Screenshot_2020-02-02-14-06-37.png

Thanks for your reply. I do think the 70 harness is different than 74.
And I meant to say the two 8 pin connectors - not 10 pin.

You are trying to use a 74 harness in a 70? WAY different. And 74 had the much hated seat belt interlock

Regardless of year/ options, you simply are going to have to sit down and do a 'wire by wire.' Also realize that from ?? 68ish to 70 whatish ?? service manuals there was a mistake regarding the yellow start wire and the horn wire where they go through the bulkhead. This is easily resolved.

So far as ralleye, if you can post a good shot--or maybe two shots, of left and right of the cluster, the functions are easy to figure just by looking at them. Then go to the harness and figure the purpose of the wires, AKA what is power, what is oil sender, etc etc

You are trying to use a 74 harness in a 70? WAY different. And 74 had the much hated seat belt interlock

Regardless of year/ options, you simply are going to have to sit down and do a 'wire by wire.' Also realize that from ?? 68ish to 70 whatish ?? service manuals there was a mistake regarding the yellow start wire and the horn wire where they go through the bulkhead. This is easily resolved.

So far as ralleye, if you can post a good shot--or maybe two shots, of left and right of the cluster, the functions are easy to figure just by looking at them. Then go to the harness and figure the purpose of the wires, AKA what is power, what is oil sender, etc etc

No, if you read my OP I am going from a 70 dash/harness to 70 Rallye and rallye harness. I'm just noticing the differences in wire colours per harness and concerned that it will cause problems? Thanks for any thoughts.

No, if you read my OP I am going from a 70 dash/harness to 70 Rallye and rallye harness. I'm just noticing the differences in wire colours per harness and concerned that it will cause problems? Thanks for any thoughts.
Well I read it and you didn't say, but you mentioned 74 later on. "A guess."

Like I said, tho, you need to go wire to wire individually. Wire colors did change here and there I'd think 70-70 would not. But follow the manual and go by the PURPOSE as I said AKA the oil sender wire, the temp sender, whatever. It will help if you would post a photo of of the rear of the cluster you are using. Then ask questions about whichever wires

What do you have for service manuals/ diagrams? That really is the "thing."

If you have a rally dash (round gauges) and a rally harness, you should be really close. The harness to instrument cluster should match up.
There are other harnesses, like heater and ac that are separate harnesses in some cases. That may be confusing.

Year one only lists one under hood harness for a 70 dart, so that would seem to me to say the bulkhead should be the same for either style dash

Make sure you get both factory schematics for dash and underhood. Rally and non rally and go wire by wire.
I'm redoing my 67 cuda rally dash and there are differences between 67-9 cuda. U would assume there might be differences in the darts as well.

Thanks to all. I haven't found a schematic for a 70 Rallye dash wiring. I do have the 70 Dart service manual showing the regular dash wiring. There are only a few challenges to sort out with tracing and continuity checks. I should be able to eliminate these one at a time. The Rallye harness I have is used and was for AC which I don't have, so some extras and some things not there for a non AC car but workable. My main concern is the bulkhead disconnect on the standard harness has white wirers running from the C and D positions but the Rallye harness has nothing in C or D. Plus the Rallye bulkhead has a White and a Black coming from the W slot where the non-rallye has just a black. Wondering if that white wire in the W slot takes the place of the white wires in C and D of the standard harness? If anyone has a thought on this that would be appreciated. Thanks.

The main wires in the bulkhead did not change from rallye to standard, but there may be a few differences. I'd have to check to see if I have a '70 wiring diagram for the rallye dash. There were changes nearly every year, though.

I see where 74 got into this thread at a drawing which is pretty much irelenvant here.
70 model standard/all got ignition switch and hazard switch moved to steering column. The rallye instrument panel from 69 and earlier was carried over into this new generation for 70 and 71. I have no idea what differences might be found in this "hybrid". Harness becomes hardness?
I think changing standard harness connectors to work on rallye panel circuit boards is easier. Change oil sender from warning lamp type to gauge type and done. Well almost. The rallye panel may need a couple of mods, solid state IVR and amp gauge changed to volts gauge.

Thanks to all. I haven't found a schematic for a 70 Rallye dash wiring. I do have the 70 Dart service manual showing the regular dash wiring. There are only a few challenges to sort out with tracing and continuity checks. I should be able to eliminate these one at a time. The Rallye harness I have is used and was for AC which I don't have, so some extras and some things not there for a non AC car but workable. My main concern is the bulkhead disconnect on the standard harness has white wirers running from the C and D positions but the Rallye harness has nothing in C or D. Plus the Rallye bulkhead has a White and a Black coming from the W slot where the non-rallye has just a black. Wondering if that white wire in the W slot takes the place of the white wires in C and D of the standard harness? If anyone has a thought on this that would be appreciated. Thanks.
I ran across something like that while helping a member make this standard to rallye change in a 72 model. A white hot wire came from somewhere, radio connector maybe, and went to a port in the bulkhead. A black wire was crimped in with it that carried the current on to the turn signal switch (I think, sketchy memory). There was nothing outside the bulkhead at this port so they had only used a bulkhead port as a junction location for the 2 wires and change its color. maybe so there wouldn't be 2 white wires at turn signal switch. The 68/9 diagrams would show that white wire added to radio connector going pretty much the same route but to power the reverse lamps instead of turn signals. I dont know who could keep all the changes straight in their head. Thats what diagrams are for.
The rallye panel always did have 2 switched hot wires to the circuit board. One was blue with white tracer and powered nothing but the voltage limiter in the fuel gauge. It came from the dash mounted ignition switch. 2 blue with white in the one terminal.
The other switched hot was black and powered the brake warning lamp. Anyway... at some year model the 2nd blue with white disappeared. On the standard panel, the one black switched hot powered brake warning, oil warning, and the voltage limiter. A harness built to connect to the rallye circuit boards will have switched 12 volts at 2 separate pins regardless where that power comes from or what color it is. Good luck with it.

-
Back