Help with shopping list for my Dart '68

-

Nidhögg

Reaction score
Hey,
Not sure if this is the right place for this post, but I´ll try it :icon_smi:
I´ve got a 1968 Dodge Dart GT that I created a post about a while back, and also I made a post about engine identification on the engine that I´m gonna put in.
I´m missing a few items from both the engine and the car to get it running, and since I´m not used to working with Mopar cars (mostly worked on Volvo and BMW) I´m not really sure what to get, and what fits on these old cars.
So, I thought I´d make a thread about it here, and see if you could help me out :icon_smi:

So, some info about the car:
Dodge Dart GT 1968
Power steering/power brakes
Front disc brakes
727 Auto transmission
Engine is a 1971 340 with the
spreadbore intake

I have the engine block, headers, intake manifold, and one (1) exhaust manifold. Also have starter engine and water pump, but these are in pretty bad shape. No carburetor.
Also I have a 60 amp alternator, also not top condition, and I´m gonna run an ~20 amp electric fan, maybe an electric water pump, and subwoofers so I need to crank out more power.
I´m also missing one brake caliper, the master cylinder, and distributor.
Dont know the condition of the oil pump so that may also be something I could get.
I think that should cover everything.

Now, since this isnt the original engine for the car, I don´t necessarily need original parts.
I want to keep it as cheap as possible, but I´m still open to paying a bit more for quality stuff that could increase perfomance now, or in the future if I want to tune the engine. Like the carburetor, cheapest and easiest route would be a refurbished original one, but if I gain more power and/or convinience by choosing a carburetor with electric choke and a new intake manifold for that carburetor that is better now, or down the line if I want to chance camshaft etc, I´m open for purchase.

When I check the summit racing catalog, there are way to many options for me to decide upon (I have no idea what US brands are quality brands and which are chinese crap, since I live in Sweden). I can read which ones fit my engine and car, but there are way to many options for me. Hopefully you can help me out :icon_smi:

On to the shopping list.

Engine:
Summit Racing Street & Strip® Timing Set - Camshaft +/-4º Crankshaft +/-8º - Hows the quality on Summit Racings parts?

Mopar Performance Timing Chain Tensioner
- Good idea to help reduce slack in the future or not needed?

Summit Racing Street & Strip® Ready-to-Run Billet Distributor - Getting rid of the ignition box should be a good thing, right?
New starter engine for Dodge Dakota/Durango - This starter SHOULD fit on my engine, right? Also more power, and smaller, and new
FlowKooler Hi Flow Water Pump - Should I go with this mechanical water pump for $93 OR
Moroso Billet Electric Water Pump - for $332?
Mr. Gasket High Performance Thermostat - Might as well get a fresh one, hi flow so should work with the electric water pump
Powermaster Street Alternator - 140 amp, internal regulator - should be enough, have to bypass amp-meter
Summit Remanufactured Thermoquad Carburetor - Should I got with this one that should fit my intake, or get a newer one, with electric choke (I know Krazykuda gave some options in my engine thread, but I got confused at the time :D)
Fel-Pro Gasket Kit Set - Need a set
Fel-Pro Performance Head Gasket - "Performance", that I must have! All kidding aside, the other set didnt specify thickness, my head gaskets were 0.033" and these are 0.039" compressed, should be good
Mopar Performance Cast Aluminum Valve Covers - Just for looks
ARP Engine Bolt Kit - Need a kit
Mopar Performance High Performance Oil Pump - Should fit my engine?
Milodon Freeze Plug Kit -

Also gonna need piston rings and bearings, but I have to measure those first.
Now, about the exhaust manifolds. I have one 340 71 manifold, and both original 1968 273 manifolds. Should I try to look for the other side 340 manifold on ebay, run one or both 273 manifolds just to get the engine running asap, or ditch them all and get new long/short headers instead?

Air filter will have to wait until I know what intake manifold and carburetor I´m gonna get.
Krazykuda recommended The Wiand 8022 Stealth intake and the 80457 600 CFM Holley carburetor which sounded good, but apparently there would be a problem mounting the coil. Which I don´t know what it is, so, I´m open for more suggestions :D
Could this Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake Manifold, 1,500-6,500 RPM, fit a coil?

Electric choke carburetor would be nice, but it´s only gonna run in the summer so not required.

Brakes - Discs and drums are in good condition, need calipers, pads and drum repair hardware:
1965-72 MOPAR A-BODY BRAKE CALIPER KELSEY HAYES STYLE - Right front
1965-72 MOPAR A-BODY BRAKE CALIPER KELSEY HAYES STYLE - Left front, only missing right one, but might as well get both new
1960-76 MOPAR A-BODY BRAKE SHOES REAR 9" X 2" - I think I have 9", might as well get new ones.
1963-68 MOPAR A/B-BODY DRUM BRAKE HARDWARE - Kit that should fit?
MOPAR A-BODY DRUM BRAKE HARDWARE 9" LH - Same as above, left side
MOPAR A-BODY DRUM BRAKE HARDWARE 9" RH - Same as above, right side

Other:
Summit Racing Master Cylinder - The original is gone, and the brake booster is pretty old.. Should I get a Master Cylinder/Brake booster combo instead? Or just try it with only the master cylinder first, and get a new brake booster if needed?
Spal Electric Fan - Also Fan Harness Kit

I would check your rear brakes. I would expect that a power front disc brake car would probably have 10" drums on back, not 9". Some of the parts in those kits are the same 9" or 10" but some are different.

-
Back