Help with throttle and carb linkage on 69 dart, air gap intake, holley 1850-s carb

-

kotka

Reaction score
Hi all,

Mopar newbie here. I recently acquired a 69 dodge dart with a 318, air gap intake manifold, and a holley 1850-s 4bbl.

the only throttle plate/linkage I have is for the oem intake/2bbl carb and it does not seem to fit this application.

Can anyone point me in the direction of what I need to buy to hook it up? I can't seem to find any definitive answers online.

thanks!!

Automatic transmission or manual? If automatic, A727 or A904? Do you have ANY of the kickdown linkage parts? Stock valve body or reverse manual v.b.? This will determine what you will need for throttle linkage parts, since they all work together from common linkage points. If you have a manual trans. or a manual valve body, it's not an issue.
To start with, get a carb lever adapter for Mopars- it bolts to your carb linkage so it matches the working arc of the factory Mopar pedal.
Holley Throttle Lever Extension
Once we know what the rest of your setup is, we can recommend correct parts.

Automatic transmission or manual? If automatic, A727 or A904? Do you have ANY of the kickdown linkage parts? Stock valve body or reverse manual v.b.? This will determine what you will need for throttle linkage parts, since they all work together from common linkage points. If you have a manual trans. or a manual valve body, it's not an issue.
To start with, get a carb lever adapter for Mopars- it bolts to your carb linkage so it matches the working arc of the factory Mopar pedal.
Holley Throttle Lever Extension
Once we know what the rest of your setup is, we can recommend correct parts.
Attached are photos of what I have currently. 2nd pic is oem intake and 2bbl.

Its a a904 trans, sorry for not mentioning that!

IMG_6126.jpeg

IMG_6124.jpeg

You'll need a different throttle bracket that moves the cable further over towards the driver's side and up. You'll also need to modify the kickdown by lengthening it (you can buy a spacer) and by moving it further over (bending it and inserting it into the bellcrank from the driver's side). Also note that the throttle cable connects on the passenger side of the rod on the carb and the kickdown on the driver's side, opposite the 2bbl configuration.

And remember: don't drive it until the kickdown is functional. Bad things can happen
Don't be vague. This isn't the subject for vague. Tell him exactly what WILL happen if he drives it with the kickdown unattached or adjusted incorrectly. This isn't a Ford or Chevy. It will burn the transmission SLAP UP if it is driven with the kickdown not hooked up or adjusted incorrectly. That linkage controls throttle pressure to the transmission and must be installed and adjusted correctly BEFORE you ever drive it.

I hope that spells it out clearly. So get it right and then drive the wheels off of it!

Edelbrock sells the piece to lengthen the kickdown arm to the carb - the rest of the kickdown should work if it's the same transmission..

Holley offers the Chrysler throttle adapter to bolt to the carb linkage.

You will want to flip your kickdown arm over and insert it in the kickdown pivot on the throttle bracket from the opposite side as for the 2bbl - this will mean reversing the existing bend in the rod, because when you flip the rod over the bend will be down instead of up.

I actually have my kickdown rod going under the throttle cable and it works fine. I just bent it a little more in the direction it was already bent. I used the kickdown lengthener from edelbrock

-
Back