Help with tire sizing

-

Superod

Reaction score
I have a 69 Barracuda and I would like to get a 10" tire or better under the fenders. What is the widest tire you can fit under this car? Also, what's the restriction under the car, the leaf spring or the tire well?

I've read other discussions regarding a 10" tire on a Dart or Duster but I also have heard that the 69 Barracuda has a little more room under the rear fenders. Is this true?

Also, has anyone used the offset shackle kit where the spring is offset 3/4" or so? Just wondering if I need to use these and if I do, can I use Caltracs with them?

(Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place. I originally started asking if the rear needed to be shortened and then slimmed my question down to the real point, tire sizing)

Thanks!

Your question probably belongs under Wheels & Tires.

The restriction depends on the width and backspacing of the wheels you are using. You probably need a 7" or wider rim for a 10" tire section (a 10" tread width would require even more rim width). So you ought to start by narrowing down what wheels you could reasonably acquire, and work from the standard backspacings offered. Otherwise, it's easy to come up with a combo on paper that optimizes fitment, but that isn't for sale in the real world.

Not sure if the section width is quite 10 inches, but I fit a 275-60/15 Nitto Drag Radial under mine. No rubbing at all, and it hooks up hard.

-
Back