Help with TTI X Exhaust

-

grassy

Reaction score
Thought this was going to be easy...install an exhaust that was custom made for your 108 inch wb A body car....nooooo.

Bought 2 gaskets from napa for the stepdown between the headers and the exhaust pipe ...both same part number ...but were different !

It seems like the pipes are far to long. My X (cross over) is directly under the end of the 727 trans. It also looks like there will be interference with the drive shaft.

Has anyone any experience with this system ?

Thanks
Ian.

have you called TTI? maybe they can give you some tips. most posts i see about their exhaust say they went on pretty easy. could they have sent you the wrong part number parts?

Abodyjoe,

I actually didn't buy the exhaust from them ...the PO did...in '07. Not sure if they would talk to me.

Below is a pic of the installation guide picture.

Would the logical step be to attach the hanger to the rear of the mufflers and to measure back and cut ?

On another note..that unless I can move the muffler's up, there is no way I can do a side exhaust.

ian.

tti%20exhaust-L.jpg

Demon 408,

It looks almost identical to what I have, Did you have to cut any length out of x-pipe so the mufflers would fit ?

Thanks
ian.

your gonna have to do a little bit of trimming. its not an exact fit. it took me and evening to do mine. i put dumps in also. just gotta trim a bit. test fit and trim some more. overall i was very impressed with the quality.

...this is good...I don't weld so when we have he car aligned, I will get them to tack it in place.

Yes, it looks like good quality. One less thing I have to redo :)

I'll post how it goes.

Thanks

I knew someone out there in FABO land must have bought the same stuff..

Ian.

Demon 408,

We are pretty discouraged. cutting a bit off the pipes is no problem but the hangers just don't fit.

The angle of the muffler hanger is far too small so it doesn't hang vertically nor is there a hole for the tail pipe hangers.

did you have these problems ?

Grassy

Reading on the 'net that this non fitment on Dusters/Demons, etc. is a problem and a known issue...and many are having problems...at this point, TTi isn't impressing me.

Demon 408,

We are pretty discouraged. cutting a bit off the pipes is no problem but the hangers just don't fit.

The angle of the muffler hanger is far too small so it doesn't hang vertically nor is there a hole for the tail pipe hangers.

did you have these problems ?

Grassy

No, I didn't have any problems. I actually thought this was a very easy install.

Ok...fixed the front hanger issue with a BFH...now they hang correctly...

So we crawled under the car and went to install the x-p and elbow to the headers.

From inner outside of the left ipe to the right pipe (headers) I get 17 1/2 inches.

The x-pipe with elbow I get 19 3/4 inches. Do i cut the elbow where the dotted line is ..and a little over an inch ?

This was easy ? Pehaps itis because mine is a '75 ????

Thanx
Ian.

tti%20exhaust%201-XL.jpg

where the first slip joint is going into the x-pipe is where your gonna need to trim. the pipes that slide into that joint need to be shortened. they will slide farther into the x-pipe and it will narrow up the pipes. your gonna have to trim the tube that goes into the slip joint just past where your diagram shows the line to part # XA-25MP-R

Hi,

So rather than where I have the dotted line, the other end..the one that goes in the x pipe.

Would an inch off be too much to start with ?

Thanks
ian.

I hate it when mechanical things beat me..

Hi,

So rather than where I have the dotted line, the other end..the one that goes in the x pipe.

Would an inch off be too much to start with ?

Thanks
ian.

I hate it when mechanical things beat me..

on mine i did half inch pieces at a time. i also ended up triming a bit off the female end of that same joint also. its just gonna take some effort. cut some check it and then cut more if needed. if you get pissed off at it walk away for a bit. they really are great systems. they just take some adjusting.

Thanks...I have been using that mantra..it is no fun working while pissed off.

We are trying to get this on the road by end of August ....

I appreciate the help and words..

ian.

May help may not. When I got my TTI headers they came with 9 inch collecters. Then I bought the 3 inch H pipe system and it came with 6 inch collecters so I also got the welded thrush mufflers. We used the shorter collecters and shorter mufflers installed back to front didn't cut any pipes fit perfect. Used all band clamps also. Very nice stuff. Imo....

For the cost, I expected better. Sounds like you had to buy 2 systems..

Probably would have been easier without the "X"..

There is some talk on how to make this into a side vent system..

ian.

Well, it is finished and now I can say with all honesty that it is a custom exhaust.

I am not impressed that it didn't come with instructions and some note that I read weren't completely true.

There was no way we could do a clean side exhaust with it but that is ok.

The passenger rear pipe seems awful close to the leaf spring but we will see what happens when we drop the car on all 4.

I think it would be wise to have it tack welded.

Thanks for the help all...

ian.

-
Back