Help!!!!!

-

69bronzeT5

My wife's car is faster.
Reaction score
I was working on my '73 Duster w/ a 318. So I changed out the melted plug wire (couldn't find a new one that would fit so I used one from a spare 383 distributor I have here). Changed the valve cover gasket, put everything back together. Went to start it and it ran for a couple of seconds (4-5?) and then died. Thought okay, I flooded it so I waited a couple of mins, came back and went to start it...it turned over but wouldn't start. I only tried that for a couple of seconds and then packed it in for the night. So what's up? An answer tonight/morning would be appreciated. I'll be up at 8am PST....I gotta leave by 10am PST.

Re-check all your wires and make sure you have connection,you might have not clicked them on all the way.What else could you have done?Check coil wire also.

That's all I did tonight. Just swapped out that one wire and did the valve cover gasket. Also took out the battery and cleaned it up.

Car show here I come. Good news and bad news. Good news, it was the wire I replaced. The way the boot was sitting on the distributor made me think it was on properly. This morning I pulled the boot back and really pushed it hard down onto the distributor. Then I put the boot down back. Turned it over and it started and then died. Waited a minute, tried again. Start and ran awesome. I took it up the street and back and it it's running great now and it WAS the wire! Bad news is my neighbours probally don't like me anymore! hahaha

I had lots of fun today....well besides the oil dripping and burning off on the headers when I booted it lol. I took it easy after that and no major oil drips or smoke.

-
Back