Hemi against a 904

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Guys....I can guess what some of the responses are going to be here, so I'll ask in advance for a bit of kindness.......

I've been thinking of a Hemi for an A-Body.....Have 2 candidates....my '67 Cuda Notchback, and my '72 Demon.

Both have 904's right now.....the Demon's is mated against appx. 280 HP currently........Trans is strong and solid, and I like the idea of the lighter weight and small boost in HP over the 727......BUT, the new Hemi's are going to be a bit stronger than I'm used to with a 904.

The Demon is the probable guinea pig, since the rear is set up with a great 8-3/4 Posi with 3:55's already...........the Cuda needs a change.

I guess the burning question is this....... In your opinions, would I be crazy to mate the new Hemi 5.7 with the 904 and good rearend?........Too much torque maybe? Raw horses over the threshold for the 904?

I don't know....maybe the thing won't even mate up to a 904 for some reason...I haven't done all the research yet...I know the kits are out there for the A-Bodies........... Let's hear some wisdom on this one....I'd appreciate it.

Thanks guys.................. Doc

pastortom1 i think that hemi denny, or his brother is either going to be doing this, or is in the middle of this now. i think he would be the best help on this as they already have hemi dusters and demons. they know better than anybody what you are looking at with that combo. shoot him a p.m.

Built right the 904 will take plenty of ower. It may be cheaper to go with a 727 though.

I think he means that by the time you spend the cash to build a 904 to stand up to the hemi it might have been cheaper to use a mildly built 727 then an extreme 904

A stock 904 with XX,*** miles on it may not last very long. Has it been rebuilt ? How much power are you planning on making with the 5.7 ? Will you need to upgrade the 904 and if you do will it last long ?

Im not saying its a bad idea it just may end up cheaper using the beffier 727 in the long run. I plan on running a 904 behind my 500 horse 340 but my tranny has been very well built. Theres probably close to $2000 in the trans and converter.

Like Adam said the 904 will hold up,but it needs to be built up preaty good,i'm running a 904 with manual VB behind my 410 stroker,but it's just a weekend cruiser with a bit of track time on occasion.

pastortom1 said:
I don't follow.......The 904 is in place........how would it be cheaper?

Whether you end up using a 904 or 727 behind that little Hemi I'd recommend a shatter shield around the tranny, if it'll fit. Just my own opinion.

demon seed said:
Whether you end up using a 904 or 727 behind that little Hemi I'd recommend a shatter shield around the tranny, if it'll fit. Just my own opinion.
I agree with you there. I'd personally want the added security knowing that there's something between my arse and that tranny if something DID let go. This is an "experiment", after all... I doubt test pilots go up without a parachute!

Bakarooda said:
I agree with you there. I'd personally want the added security knowing that there's something between my arse and that tranny if something DID let go. This is an "experiment", after all... I doubt test pilots go up without a parachute!
i agree, and good point, use a shield just in case

-
Back