HEMI arrived in a big orange box.

-

BB69

Reaction score
Our project Dart is moving along very well. Yesterday, we took the wraps off the brand new crate HEMI! It looks great.

http://www.oakland.edu/org/pdmc/images/hemicrate.jpg

We are also in the process of replacing all of the rotten sheetmetal throughout the floor, toe board, and trunk. These repairs are not at a concours level, but they are strong and will do the job well. You can see some pics here:

http://www.oakland.edu/org/pdmc/dart.htm

It's really nice to work in a facility that has the space, tools, and knowhow to do a job well. Trakon Customs has been helping us out in this department.

http://www.trakon.net/

We are on our way to having the Dart looking pretty good at the Mopar Nationals. The car should be ready for paint by the end of next week.

Ken

seems like a raly nie projekt and that new style hemi should do its job very well:)
is there any special isues to conect one of those newstyle hemis to an old A999 transmission?
good luck with your prjekt and hope too see more of it here!

The A999 is supposed to bolt right up to the 5.7L. Chrysler kept the bolt pattern the same. When we get ready to put the two together, I will post some more pictures.

Thanks
Ken

Thats sounds like fun. I wish I had a hemi to put in my dart! one day I guess. :-? Keep us posted on the progress.

All right, someone else doing what I'm doing! On the auto tranny mating, you have to cut the ring gear off the flexplate from the Hemi and then you may have to widen one of the holes on the tc to mate it to the flexplate. Billy at Dallas Dodge used a 90's van tc to mate the A500 to their Hemi. What are you doing in this reagard? I'm using a 727 in my 67 Barracuda conv. So far I'm using the TTI headers and mounts and a pan from www.hotrodlane.com.

-Daty

Daty,
I'm not sure right now. We will be sitting down with Mopar to figure out the details. I will let you know when we find out. I guess the proof will be in the pudding. We do need to get a new pan. The Mopar guys said Canton has a pan as well. These are all good questions, and ones we will answer in the coming weeks.

Ken

Hey Ken,

I think Charlies is making the pans. One thing I noticed is you went with the carb version, I went with the FI motor. www.hotrodlane.com installs takeout Hemis so there are some issues they deal with that we won't (drive by wire, etc) since the crate motor electronics are self contained (yea). They use a 99 Vette filter/regulator and custom tank with pump, I'd rather not if I can get away with using the tank I have (moidified) but it may be easier in the long run.

Any EFI guys out there that can chime in on this issue?

-Daty

That is sweet as hell. My friend Dave and I do EFI Mopar stuff at http://www.EFIMopar.com you should have stayed with the FI you wouldn't believe what you can do with it on this engine.

Hopefully we can get it to paint in the next few weeks, and take it out to Mopar Nationals with the Engine/Trans dropped in. It's going to be painted in the style of the Gratiot Auto Parts car, only the colors are Plum Crazy with Metalic Silver stripes.

ONEBADMK8 said:
That is sweet as hell. My friend Dave and I do EFI Mopar stuff at http://www.EFIMopar.com you should have stayed with the FI you wouldn't believe what you can do with it on this engine.

We will most likely move to FI later. One of our goals is to teach students and young engineers the basics of cars. I believe learning how to tune a carb, and seeing how tough it is to make a carb work on multiple environments, will make people appreciate FI more. It's hard to fully appreciate some of today's technology without knowing what it replaces.

Ken

FWIW, I was reading an article over the week end on a dyno test of the new 5.7 crate motor. The 360HP rating from MP is through the stock truck style manifolds. When they tested it with the new TTI A-body headers they were a couple of horsepower shy of 400HP.

They also stated that the cam is the stock truck cam and figured there was a lot more power to be had with a more aggressive cam in it.

dgc333 said:
They also stated that the cam is the stock truck cam and figured there was a lot more power to be had with a more aggressive cam in it.

That is something we are defiantly looking into. We have crunched some numbers on a simulator, once we can fab something and throw it on a dyno we will post the results on our site, under specs. That is probably 3 to 6 months off.

BB69 said:
We will most likely move to FI later. One of our goals is to teach students and young engineers the basics of cars. I believe learning how to tune a carb, and seeing how tough it is to make a carb work on multiple environments, will make people appreciate FI more. It's hard to fully appreciate some of today's technology without knowing what it replaces.

Ken

Got Ya'

We did some calling around today, and it seems like the TTI headers are not yet available. They are about 6 weeks away. That would us past our deadline for making the Hot Rod Drag Week. It looks like we are going to have to make our own headers. The engine mounts are also many weeks away, so I am going to start some work on motor plates. Should be fun.

Ken

Hey Ken with the Dart, any updates? Mine is coming along nicely, I'll be dummying up the headers/mounts/kframe this weekend to see what is in the way of whatever. I'm real interested in how it's coming along.

-Daty

dgc333 said:

They ended up getting 81 HP more out of it with just a cam swap. That's near 500HP with just a cam and headers!!

The 81 hp also had headers and an aftermarket chip put into test mode to bypass the factory rev limiter. Looking at the dyno sheets most of the power gains were above 5000rpm, a range my motor will rarely see (street cruiser). I love the flat torque curve and the very lightweight weight as delivered.

On mine, I got the TTI headers and mounts, waiting on the oil blockoff plate, have the kframe needed, and am talking with FBO on the fuel delivery. They offer a stock tank that is baffled and sumped, perfect for my application, andwe are discussing the balance of the fuel system now. The TF is being rebuilt now and got the belt routing figured out.My slanty died over the weekend (electrical probably) so I'm putting the vert in the air real soon to drop the drivetrain out and clean up the bottom.

Still to do; radiator hoses, water and oil sensors, radiator fan, and other stuff that has to wait until the motor is in to figure these out.

-Daty

-
Back