hemi dart clone?

-

freightdriver

Reaction score
been thinking about building a hemi clone because i'm in need of a new project it'll be in primer with the front end in just gel coat as they came when they we're delivered. i'll be starting with a /6 car there's no huge differences between 67-69? im building this for myself and just want it to look partially correct it'll have no radio,heater,a/c,a100 seats,no back seat,etc but i'm going to keep the rolldowns and afew other things hopefully i'll be starting this project here in afew months as soon as i find a decent /6 car... if anyone has any info on these car's or pictures i'd gladly appreiciate it. :notworth: Thanks Josh

I've built 2 of 'em--had alot of fun doing it. In terms of the "fine details", what do you need to know? I can tell you it's easier than you think. Any specific questions, PM me. I enjoy building these things more than owning them. The items specific to these cars may be kinda hard to find, but I found ways around that too.:lol:

I can't seem to get the first link to work. I also have a Dart I want to make a Hemi Clone out of. I would like to know exactly all the difference's between the stock and hemi versions. Hemicop, do you have a list? And what specific items are the hard ones to find?

From my "research" all Hemi Darts were based off a "270" model and not a GT as the manufacturers broadcast sheet stated. The cars had no sound deadener or insulation. side glass was thinner (good luck finding THAT!), bumpers & doors were acid dipped (some places still do that), the battery was an industrial unit (Antique battery co. has 'em), Rear springs were specialized (& still availible), & the torque boxes (I'm told ) were reinforced. The cars used 6-cyl torsion bars up front The hard parts to find? Good, correct A100 seats, their seat brackets (Kramer Automotive has 'em, but I made mine--MUCH cheaper), the correct radio AND heater delete plate (it's one unit, I have 3 of 'em ) , the outside mirror delete plate ( ssandafx sells 'em---pricey, though). The wheels the car's were shipped on had a weird offset and I don't know where you'd find them, assuming you even want those skinny things. While many of the "hard" parts don't SEEM that hard to get, when you actually start looking for them they seem to disappear:scratch:. Technically, these clones aren't hard to build at all, it's getting the fine points "right" I enjoy .

Thanks, that's a good start. What about the mod to the shock tower? The mod to the master cylinder? The K member? Was it just a big block K member? One other question. Where do I get the rear springs?

Thanks again.

THE PASSENGER SIDE SHOCK TOWER WAS JUST HAMMERED TO FIT (BELIEVE IT OR NOT!). The master cylinder was simply moved over with an adapter plate availible from Mancini Racing. The K-member was a specialized piece as 440 & Hemi blocks had their motor mounts positioned differently BUT there is aplace in Calif. that is reproducing the right K-member (for something like 700 bucks)--I used a motorplate on mine. The S/S springs are likewise availible from Mancini.

More questions!! What are the years for the correct seats? 1968? Did they just have the stock seat covers? Do you have a template for the seat brackets? Do you want to sell one of your radio delete plates? Do you know how much the mirror delete plate is? And last, at least for this email, :) what rear is was used? I have read that the automatic's used and 8 3/4, the 4 speed used a dana, and that they were stock B body rear ends. Is that true? Your help is greatly appreciated!!

The seats WERE '68 a-100 seats which were all pretty much the same but the S/S cars had about a 1 inch gap between the seat base and the back and had no welting along the seams. I believe Legendary Auto Interiors has the correct covers--check with them. I have a template for the seat brackets--I copied them from Bill Stiles old S/S 'Cuda (it's here in town). I can send you a copy of the template or I have 2 sets of them also. I could let 1 of the delete plates go--pm me with an address. The correct mirror delete plate (last I heard) was 175.00 from SSandAFX. The rearends on these cars were as you said, but a B-body won't fit-- it'll have to be cut down. Use a "489" case for the 8 3/4-- Gearing from the factory was 4:88 in the Dana, 4:86 in the 8 3/4. In the real world, if you're going to drive this on the street & don't mind giving up too much, go with a 4:30 or 4:56, IMO. When you start your project post some pictures, I'd love to see it.

Yes, we can definately help you out with the A-100 seat covers. Thanks. Eric @ Legendary Auto Interiors, Ltd 1800 363-8804 ask for sales dept.

Hey Hemicop, is Bill Stiles SS still correct under the hood ?
Any pics you could send me for my SS 68 Cuda build ?

-
Back