Hemi vs. Wedge $$ wise.....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
You always read how a HEMI cost so much more than a wedge to build. Thanks to my latest bout of insomnia I have done some #’s crunching, and while the HEMI did indeed come out on top $$ wise, it was not as bad as I thought. Keep in mind I am talking a like for like build. Not a used wedge block compared to a new HEMI block. So seeing as how, for argument sake INDY charges the same for a Aluminum Wedge Block as they do for the Aluminum HEMI block, likewise for the Iron version that is not a factor. Neither is anything else in the bottom end, same price on crank, rods, pistons were slightly more for HEMI, oil pan is the same etc. The difference was in the top end. Now sure, you could say run a set of used iron heads on the wedge to save some money. But remember like for like. And lets say the displacement for both was going to be 572”. From what I have read a Max Wedge port is needed at this size of a wedge. Went to HUGHES to get a price for a set of cnc ported MW Victors. With valves they were $2800. A set of Stage V heads, from the numbers I have found, this is ported with valves is $3400. Really not that much of price difference. The valve train, well that is a bit different. Sure, you could get a set of inexpensive rockers from HUGHES for $550 but they are not in the same league as Stage V rockers with KB stands & shafts. So if you get into something a bit more realistic for a 572 Wedge, say Harland Sharps, the price is $1200. From what I have figured the Stage V rockers, Keith Black stands and shafts are going to come in around $2700. So far the difference in dollars is 2100. In my case I have a set of Valve covers for a HEMI, granted someone scratched them up on me and they need to be re-finished but I still have them. I also have an intake for a HEMI, a crossram set up for EFI, complete with fuel rails and throttle bodies. Am I missing something here on the $$ end of the HEMI vs. Wedge comparison? I realize there is a lot more to it than this, but……Suppose it would be helpful to ad that, lets say, 750-800 hp would be a target....So if I am way off, someone please enlighten me.....:happy1:

Well.....remember too that Chrysler introduced the wedge to reduce costs as compared to the Hemi because they were even expensive for them to make.

The math works out. What gets people is the "intangible" (?) abut the Hemi's finicky-ness, extra weight and simply how few people can/want to actually work with them. To take all this a step further, the longerpushrods, heavier pistons (generally) the Hemi's sensetivity to valve lift (too much & you start slamming valves together if the valves float) along with today's various wedge heads that make as much power, don't have the packaging concerns & will cost less,albeit slightly, are all attractive "pluses" to the wedge-vs-Hemi argument.
However, there is no denying that when there are no rules, price ISN"T an issue and maximum power is wanted the Hemi wins out.

Good explanation there HEMI cop.

the one thing I have noticed is that everyone wants to do things as cheaply as possible and cry over the littlest of things like there being raped in public. They will be tight lipped about overpaying a few bucks because every one has a big mouth and a "Well, that was stupid, I would have done..." remark.

(Yea, I know, the same twits with engines on a stand for years talk this talk)

I really do not see 7 or 8 hundred HP a lot for either engine if your going into the aftermarket blocks. You could add another 300 HP without so much as a twitch in the eye.

Bottom line, I guess... if your going for it, then GO FOR IT! It's only money!

And then on the other side of the fence.....

Attachments

• 91_Octane_NA_Hemi.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 401
The reason is fairly simple:
The BEST engine builders around, regardless of make will produce just shy of 2hp/cu. in. for a NA motor on gas. The peak hp/torque may very in RPM depending on cam, heads intake, but that's the limit. What that translates into for the average hotrodder or low-dollar racer is cubes are king. We all know that, but tend to forget. So if you want a mega HP, NA engine for the street you have to "go big or go home". Now given alot of us don't know or can afford "the best" we either build our own or use what we can afford which usually means getting closer to 1.5hp/cu. in. or less.
Sonny Leonard can build you a 900+ cu. in Chevy/Hemi giving you almost 2k HP but who has the bucks, skill or ambition to use such an animal on the street?
The answer is simple: be happy with what you can afford, or spray or boost the thing........

-
Back