hemi

-

americanmuscle

americanmuscle
Reaction score
I found what appears to be an early hemi in the woods. it's fairly small, but the wires running through the valve covers give it away. my question, is what is it worth? it's really rusted,probably full of water, but it's complete.

depends how much damage is done

absolutely NO ONE is gonna buy it if the cylinder walls have a lot of rust on them

true, I'm guessing pistons are probably seized, but you could still sell the heads and intake and stuff like that. is there a difference between the mopar hemi and the early ford hemi? because they did make one for like a year.

greaserkid said:
absolutely NO ONE is gonna buy it if the cylinder walls have a lot of rust on them
I wouldn't bet on that. I was stupid enough to buy a rusted up block. Ended up spending an extra $400 at the machine shop to put sleeves in 4 of the bores. I did that just to save a 340 block.

The only Ford "hemi" was the 429 SCJ (Nascar and limited street run) and if you find one of those in the woods you'd better go buy a lottery ticket and call up some supermodels for a date because you'd be the luckiest guy in the world!- And yeah and they look nothing alike.

mrspeeddemon said:
The only Ford "hemi" was the 429 SCJ (Nascar and limited street run) and if you find one of those in the woods you'd better go buy a lottery ticket and call up some supermodels for a date because you'd be the luckiest guy in the world!- And yeah and they look nothing alike.

i think that that 429 hemi was a 429boss the 429scj stands for 429 supercobrajet! and those cylinderheads on the 429 boss would not rust since they are made of aluminum, but ford also had another Hemi engine the 427Soch hemi wish made 616real horsepower but that was a very shortproduction engine!

your right on the 429- I was thinking Boss but for some reason I wrote SCJ- And the Cammer engine isn't a hemi engine they still use the old FE block and theres not enough room for a hemi chamber- The only other "Ford Hemi" is the old Ardun conversion for the flathead- although not stock was occasionally sold through dealers.

I know a guy from seattle that has 14 cammers ! He restored an old front engine 60's dragster for a guy I work with. It has a fuel injected blown cammer running nitro. You should have seen all the guys running out of the nieghboring businesses when they started it in the parking lot!!
Too bad he can only show the car, since the strips wont let them run a 1/4. I guess they're unsafe at those speeds .

What are the numbers stamped into the top of the block? They will be located on a machined surface on the front of the block just in front of the intake manifold, viewed from the top. Example: D55-3-3911C (de-coded this number is a Dodge, 1955, and the number of the engine produced.) It is a 55 Dodge 270 cu in. Super Red Ram. I just bought this one out of an old truck at a local wreckers and paid 750.00 Canadian for. The wrecker sells old mopar, especially hemi so he knows what it is worth. If you de-code the hemi I could phone and ask him what he thinks is a fair price.
I also had a 354 that was rusted and seized and soaked it in W-D40 for 6 months and it unseized.

Dorian

There are a bunch of early hemis..Some chryslers, some Desotos, from like 270" to 392, with carbs from 2bbls to 2 4bbls. Price depends on what it is, and condition. I seek out frozen cores..I find most are easily saved. 4 sleeves is a lot, but when I buy a core for $50, spending $100 on a sleeve still leaves me ahead of the game. The rings rusting to the bore, water left in the cooling jackets (freezing/cracking), rodents in the cylinders (they go in thru the manifolding and open valves, and the urine just eats everything) are just a few of the issues you'll find. So, if it's free, and you dont know anything about it, it's probably a decent investment to pick it up and snoop thru it. If the owner wants anything for it..Leave it there.
The shop just had a Boss 429 come thru..The block (#s for a Mustang) had signs of previous issues...4 sleeves, no welding, but LOTS of schrapnel marks. The heads are coming Monday..Cant wait to see those..I've only seen them on a running engine.

360scamp,
sounds like you know of jim. I didnt want to print his name (might make him a target) . Great Guy! and it sounds like he ran with the big dogs in the 60's. The assassin was run by Jim Crooke , I work with him down in Boise.
I found a picture of him (Jim Crooke) running Pamona on the internet about 5 yrs ago and showed to him. He got the bug and located the chassis in Canada. Then had Green restore it. I may be a Mopar nut ,but that car is awesome!

-
Back