Henry's 70 Dart Swinger

-
Not sure of the history of this car, but yes, there are different pulleys for every aplication. Miss matched pulleys can be a nightmare. Another thing to look into is the harmonic balancer. They have a "thin", and a "thick" balancer, again depending on aplication.

the balancer is brand new from jegs, not stock. its a professional products brand balancer. looked to be the same width as what came of the car.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Professional+Products/428/80012/10002/-1

i was talking more the pulley of the PS pump being different between small and big block. seems kinda silly they would be different style to run the same pump on either block. doesn't seem cost effective for dodge to do that to me. but idk.

ok here are a few small block 70-72 power steering pumps and brackets. man i have a problem. what do i need 5 complete set ups for? lol. i played hell getting the proper set up years ago when i first put the yellow dart together so every time i saw a set up or parted a car i kept those bitches.. think i'm gonna have to clean out the shed this summer.. lighten the load some..:)

anyway here are the pics..

0F84FBDE-45F9-4040-AAFE-CB9591428E24.jpg

0A5A0A7D-0206-4581-96AC-A4C837C45F4C.jpg

BF2E4509-6D41-409E-92B2-F8878DB94F78.jpg

170571F9-A00E-4233-A434-997C2A70DB10.jpg

7E00C0E3-10F6-42BF-AF0B-7B33318BA230.jpg

7EC5830E-948D-4E04-9184-3180206DBB29.jpg

76B216AE-66EE-4220-A9BA-95F627B6B6B0.jpg

427D89F3-A5AB-4CFC-B30F-D5C0272FD2DA.jpg

73B17E12-074E-4DEA-96D1-C489AFE78FBB.jpg

90BB8E63-AE6C-4EDB-B6A9-8AEC62FD5308.jpg

59F42B64-ED66-42DF-A877-C94E40DAE28E.jpg

E9846D28-6F21-440B-9210-7367E9C368A4.jpg

73BCBB6C-29DB-415C-85CB-7BF4EC2EAC7E.jpg

89C79D9A-3696-4565-A88F-3CFC6CE8A0E1.jpg

A46EB28B-FA07-429F-B742-353B6BB551EE.jpg

the balancer is brand new from jegs, not stock. its a professional products brand balancer. looked to be the same width as what came of the car.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Professional+Products/428/80012/10002/-1

i was talking more the pulley of the PS pump being different between small and big block. seems kinda silly they would be different style to run the same pump on either block. doesn't seem cost effective for dodge to do that to me. but idk.

oh yea. there are a ton of different pulleys. its freaking crazy...

it appears that my pulley is smiliar, but my pulley is not solid metal....it has gaps with support arms. kinda like a lightweight version of that solid pulley. its def not a slant 6 pulley.

damn good job man! even got some measurements! nice! that will help me alot!

i need to measure my pump pulley and the spacing as you have shown.

My old one was a 3 spoke pulley and I found out later it looked like it was a typical BB pulley, mounted in small block brackets.

FWIW, Joe's first set of pictures, looks more like the one that's currently on my car.

My thoughts: Ditch the PS,put it in Granny's car. Plus you'll unload about 50 lbs off the nose of your car.

My old one was a 3 spoke pulley and I found out later it looked like it was a typical BB pulley, mounted in small block brackets.

FWIW, Joe's first set of pictures, looks more like the one that's currently on my car.

you know i do see those three spokes on a lot of big blocks. i could have sworn the one i had was off a 340 duster. i just can't remember or find the thing.

after driving it one day without the PS...i'll pass. it was a total ***** to turn the wheel while sitting still. my wife would never beable to do it. plus i'm sure the steering shaft and box is all different for non PS. i'm ready to wrap this thing up and enjoy it. i already saved about 100lbs in a/c stuff. so no biggie.

lol, my wife would not like that idea. plus something hot about my wife behind the wheel of an american muscle car. :burnout:

new exhaust. duals with H pipe and flowmaster super 44s. went to the mega mopar action series at the motorplex on Saturday.....didn't take the car....but I can tell you the import face off was more fun. way more stuff to do. mopar action series was boring, other then the super stock cars doing wheelies. at least the import face off had chicks running around.

[ame]http://youtu.be/69eHp8y9Jik[/ame]

went up to Lowe's and got some of the cheapo industrial carpet and cut out a trunk mat. it was 17 bucks and it looks fine.

took her to cars and coffee on saturday. had a good time.

Attachments

• IMG_8005.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_8014.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_8017.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 398
I just want to take a minute here to thank all of you that have helped my son. We have had some great times together here lately working on the ole girl and now she is finally up and purring. The new supper 44's are indeed more radical than the Turbos I had on her so ear plugs are a must LOL. My son and I are currently working on getting the kick down to low set right but we think we need to adjust the kick down band. The trans hasn't been touched since it was rebuilt in 1989 BaaaaHaaaa....yes, fluids have been changed regularly. Till next time..have a blessed day.

Awesome-I for one, am happy you guys have been able to turn wrenches on such a cool car. My Dad's not feeling his oats as much these days so I'll probably be working on cars by my lonesome after I retire from the AF...that'll probably be the first time I actually get to wrench on it.

well apparently it helps to have all of the brackets when you are putting the power steering back on. Pop and I put the new brackets on and the pumps lines up perfectly! runs great. thanks for all the pictures of the brackets and the pumps!! couldn't have thought that out correctly without those!

couple of other things i fixed.....hood bumpers are new and i adjusted the hood gaps and height. also lowered the hood pins to snug up the hood. no more wiggle waggle when on the highway.

fixed the tips of the sun visors with new rubber. no more rattle there now. fixed the rear view mirror so it would stay in place instead of flying around when you turned or got on the gas.

fixed the gas cap....the black handle on it was not in line with the body line. i took the handle off and drilled new holes in the cap to move it by 10 degrees. perfect. straight now and you can't even tell i moved it.

next up is tightening up the side mirrors and adjusting the wing windows in a bit. also the rear passengers window makes a rattle, i 'm guessing a track is loose in the panel.

just minor stuff. nothing really exciting. i'm to the fiddle stage. stuff that doesn't require any heavy work. the last 3 months of heavy work deserves a break.

when we get back to heavy work we will look at that pesty oil leak from the oil pan and the kickdown on the trans. Also take the drive shaft in for balancing....and if required a new one built.

oil leak still leaking, too damn hot to fix it right now. got this for my Dad for Father's day, its a 20x30 poster collage.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 339
That's an awesome litho-sucks on the oil leak though. I know that's frustrating. If you have tranny fluid coming out of the kickdown rod seal in the tranny, you might need to pop off the bottom and do some surgery...I can't recall clearly, but I think there's an O-ring or something in there. Getting the driveshaft shouldn't be too difficult in your area. My brother took his to a place in Lake Stevens, Washington; had it cropped 2", rebalanced it, and new U-joints installed-they painted it up pretty damn nice too...I think it ran like $250.

so this happened last weekend while driving. reverse servo arm guide pin flew right out and dumped fluid all over the highway. it was special.

as you can see, some dipshit put on a broken tail housing and stamped over the ends of the guide pin hole to hold the pin in.

genius.

I need a new tail housing with that retaining tab not broken off and I need a new reverse servo guide pin. I can't find the pin anywhere on the net. its not a part that seems to be replaced often or wanted much.

I think i'm going to rebuild this trans myself (I rebuilt the twin ultramatic in my Packard myself...easy) or I can get a new one from TCI for 1300.

I really want to go with a 3k stall, rebuild trans, new u joints and rebalanced drive shaft, and 3.91 gears. but that was about 3k

oh and oil leak has been fixed. new oil pan gasket is in, leak stopped.

Attachments

• photo 1 (1).JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 300
  • photo 2 (1).JPG
    145 KB · Views: 303
Trans fixed..... Now I need manifold 2863553 drivers hipo.

My dad had the one on the car welded back years ago and it finally blew open again yesterday. I swear if it isn't one thing it's another.

New manifold was found and has arrived. Thanks to that FABO member! see pics for the broken and new manifold. passenger's side was also removed...engine had to be jacked up to driver's side to remove though. new factory bolt kit with correct head markings has been ordered.

below is a post my Dad would like to make:

"we were at it again on the D.A.R.T…..( code for doing allright together) on replacing the broken exhaust manifold. Everything went WAYbetter than I expected on the removal. Next is the sand blasting and then thenew 2000 degree exhaust paint. After all this is done we will start onreplacing the points with the new 9k rpm ones and setting the timing at totaladvancement. All in all my son and I had a great time together. Making memoriesfor a lifetime….nothing better on this planet than this."

Attachments

• 340 Manifold.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 269
  • photo.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 240
  • 340 Dart.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 267
-
Back