Herb McCandless

-

HawaiiDuster

Reaction score
I have been contacted with I problem that I would like all of your help with. Herbs private phone number had somehow gotten out, and what I've been told was posted on Moparts and possibly other forums. He has been getting numerous phone calls from people asking all sorts of questions(ie "how do I tune a Rochester carb"). Herb and his wife are both retired and would like not to be bothered during his personal time. He still makes the rounds of shows and other events at which time he would be more than happy to talk with people, but when he's at home he would like spend quality time with his family. I'm sure we all can understand and respect that. I not a member of moparts (or any other forum) so if you could pass the word around and let me know if you see his contact info posted anywhere else. If anyone has any questions or info please contact Phil Painter at [email protected] or PM me here.

Thank you,

Craig

heres an idea.. how about if he don't like all the calls to just change his phone number. seems a lot easier then any other methods of stopping it. :)

heres an idea.. how about if he don't like all the calls to just change his phone number. seems a lot easier then any other methods of stopping it. :)

I agree with the numbers change, but what happened to respect? What is up with people and the idea that "geeze, I just found his number on the internet and I can feel free to give him a call anytime I like, because I'm a perfect stranger, and what I want is sooo much more important than anything he wants?"
To get rid of these idiots he's pretty much gonna have to chalk it up to a learning experience and get a new number. No matter how hard you ask, the people who do this from the start still won't listen.

yeah so everyone he knows will have to be informed of the change, like he don't know 100's of people?????

Easier would be to check yerself and not call up strangers & harass them about how to tune a pos rochester in the 1st place

You have to be a complete dip sht to call someone like that......

Joe, when you say respect has gone out the window, that is an understatement... and soon you'll see the death rate go sky rocketing in response to this disrespect we have today.

At some point in this thousand yrs of existence the gene pool became incestual and mental illness set in, this is the byproduct I think.

yeah so everyone he knows will have to be informed of the change, like he don't know 100's of people?????

Easier would be to check yerself and not call up strangers & harass them about how to tune a pos rochester in the 1st place

You have to be a complete dip sht to call someone like that......

Joe, when you say respect has gone out the window, that is an understatement... and soon you'll see the death rate go sky rocketing in response to this disrespect we have today.

At some point in this thousand yrs of existence the gene pool became incestual and mental illness set in, this is the byproduct I think.

x2 Totally agree with you 1W&C

I was lucky enough to meet the gentleman on Hot Rod power tour
this summer.
He was very friendly and didn't mind at all when I walked up.
All I wanted was to shake his hand. He said to follow him back
to his car(that great 300 with the hemi). He go's in the trunk
and pulls out a pic of his Demon back in the day. He signs it
and hands it to me. I asked him how much for the pic. Nothing,
was his reply.
What a great guy! But I sure wouldn't bother the man at home.
Please people respect other peoples privacy.

It is easy to change a number, but getting it back out to family and friends is a pain in the butt. It will probably, if not already, get changed. All he's asking is for a little respect of his privacy. Herb is a great guy thats given most of his life to a sport and hobby that all of us here love. And even though Respect in this world has just about become non-exsistant, I was hoping we as a community could still hold on to some old time values and possibly pass it along to people we associate with.

As easy as it is to change a number, its just as easy to say "I'll respect someones privacy and delete his personal number". FABO has grown into a well respected site and like they, you have to show respect to get respect.

Thanks to all that understand and to those that don't, please try...It will be greatly appreciated.

Craig

As easy as it is to change a number, its just as easy to say "I'll respect someones privacy and delete his personal number".

that may be the right thing to do and in a perfect world it would work.. but bottom line is the number has to be changed to get the desired results.. you talk like it was someone here calling him.. was it?

Thanks to all that understand and to those that don't, please try...It will be greatly appreciated.

its not a case of understanding or not. its the real world and the way to fix the situation is by changing the number. simple...

Joe, I wouldn't change the number either and I would guess that he knows a lot more people than I do. Whenever you change phone numbers (for any reason) you are bound to lose contact with some people.
He never said that someone on this site was calling Herb at home. He said that the number was posted on Moparts and maybe on some other sites. He's just trying to get the word out that he should not be called at home.

That does not seem like too much to ask.

And RESPECT??? Respect was gone a long time ago. When every wannabe rapper and street thug starts running around talking about respect...it is dead.

its not a case of understanding or not. its the real world and the way to fix the situation is by changing the number. simple...

could not agree more, we live in the real world. simple fix, change the number.

That does not seem like too much to ask.

and it is not, but common sense is something sorely lacking now-a-days. and while it is true that he may lose contact with some folks, I am sure that he has an address book of all the people that he talks to. what would stop him from calling them with his new number.

I guess my point is that he should not have to. If I were him I would probably put a message on my answering machine that quickly explained the situation while telling friends and family to leave a message. And yup, the only other way is to change his number.
Isn't there a way to block people from calling you...like dialing *67 or something right after you get the unwanted call?

i agree 100% that he shouldn't have to change the number. but bottom line is either he deals with all the calls or changes the number. thats the only two options. some jackass will still be calling even after a thread like this.. that is just the facts. sorry but its not as big of deal changing numbers and getting family to know.. hell they probably all have e-mail anyway.

caller ID is stil a pain in the ***. you run to the phone when ya hear it ring just to see its no one ya know. change the number and be done.. its so simple its stupid.

Well Joe, it's pretty obvious that he does not wanna change his number...so obvious it's stupid......

then he has to deal with the calls.. . his problem not mine. he has a real easy way to take car of it so he needs to change the number or stop crying about it..

that may be the right thing to do and in a perfect world it would work.. but bottom line is the number has to be changed to get the desired results.. you talk like it was someone here calling him.. was it?

I never said nor implied that anyone on this site was calling Herb. I posted here for help in passing the word around because like I said FABO has grown into a well respected site. Hopefully if we passed the word around people would think before calling a private number that gets posted some where, whether it was done maliciously or by accident. Not just for Herb, but for anyone this may happen to. We see crimes and unfortunate accidents happen everyday, some people will help and others will just turn the other way. As more and more people turn the other way, things get worse and worse. Sometimes all it takes is one person to stop and lend a hand to turn things around.

Like Edmund Burke said "Evil will prevail when good men do nothing" It may sound a little dramatic but just think about it. It can be applied to even the smallest of incidents.

I prefer to be in the group that stops to help.

I met Herb on last year's Power Tour. I stayed behind to help a guy with a bum starter and he walked right over and offered to "get dirty" with us; I was blown away! Super guy. and that car he was in; man was it NICE! I agree; if I ever got a number like this; I'd be very hesitant to call it, figuring I'd probably just get some recording anyway; but I certainly would not "spread it around".

Maybe he has a REALLY cool number and had it a loooong time and doesn't want to loose it.....or have the hassle of telling all his real friends and family a new number. He shouldn't have to change it because of some Dork let it out....same people can post their questions on whatever site they saw the number on! Duh

-
Back