Here are the parts I have, what's the best approach?

-

Avispa

Reaction score
I have a 65 Dart,360,4 speed and it has the 7 1/4 rear. I want to upgrade the rear to the 8 3/4, here are the parts I have.

Bare rear 8 3/4 housing with the adjusters
741 pumpkin, peg leg, 29? ratio
SBP axles that need bearings
10" BBP backing plates and drums
The front brakes are factory SBP disk.
I have a full set of SBP Rally wheels that I have just had blasted and repainted the argent silver, also have the cone rally centers that i have just repainted the textured argent and added the new spun aluminum center disk appliques.

I guess the question is, do I go SBP on the rear? the problem is that I don't have the backing plates or drums, are they hard to find?, and get rid of the BBP backing plates and drums.
If I go BBP, I have to get 2 BBP rally's and redo them, and get rid of the axle's I have and two of the rally wheels I have just redone.
What would You do?

SBP all the way, Post a wanted classified for your sbp wants. Lots of other guys are going the BBP route.

Get SBP back plates/assy. Sell BBP plates/ assy.
Cheapest way IMHO.

All 4 same pattern for Future sale upon wheel change option.

D

Thanks, kinda the way I was leaning, appreciate the replies.

I'm doing the same thing in a 66 Valiant. It's a slant with 4-speed OD, 8-3/4 with 3.55 gears and 10" rear drums. I kept the SBP front and rear, it wasn't hard at all to find parts. As mentioned above, most folks want to get rid of their SBP stuff to go BBP. That makes for some cheap shopping on behalf of those wanting SBP parts!

I have sbp backing plates on the 7.25 rear end I just took out of my car, I also have some sbp drums that were on the front of my car dont know if they would work on the rear though?

I have sbp backing plates on the 7.25 rear end I just took out of my car, I also have some sbp drums that were on the front of my car dont know if they would work on the rear though?

Thanks, but I don't think they will work.

Keep SBP. Easiest and the drums are available new, just need the backers. Your not gonna like that rear ratio. Is your 7.25 a SG? They are not that bad in a street car with a higher rear end ratio. Youd be suprised how a 7.25 SG handles a larger ratio rear (ie 3.55) under a light A. The 7.25 peg legs were underbuilt for a small block with a 4sp.

Keep SBP. Easiest and the drums are available new, just need the backers. Your not gonna like that rear ratio. Is your 7.25 a SG? They are not that bad in a street car with a higher rear end ratio. Youd be suprised how a 7.25 SG handles a larger ratio rear (ie 3.55) under a light A. The 7.25 peg legs were underbuilt for a small block with a 4sp.

Good points and good info, I doubt very seriously if it's a SG, don't know what ratio either, I was just told it was a grenade waiting to blow the first time i "got on it", if I add gears and a SG to the 7 1/4, wouldn't that money be better spent on building the 8 3/4?
It's stock 360 as far as I know, Eddy performer intake and Eddy 750 carb, factory exhaust, but it does have new dual exhaust. just a cruise around car.

If its a cuise around car, I bet the 7.25 will survive cruising. Id look for a 8.25 before spending 800 on an 8.75... with custom SBP axles.

If its a cuise around car, I bet the 7.25 will survive cruising. Id look for a 8.25 before spending 800 on an 8.75... with custom SBP axles.

OK, appreciate the info and advice.

-
Back