Here we go again. Its acting up worse this time!

-

73_Dart

Reaction score
Well, just starting yesterday it started flooding itself out again. It had done it before a couple months ago and it corrected itself. This time it is alot worse. I can only start the car for a couple minutes, and it will flood itself. When I finally do get it started and running, it is a really LOW idle, and when driving it has no power what-so-ever. It also started smoking today, and the oil light comes on when the gas pedal is not pushed down. It is my 73 dart, 225 auto, 1 barrel carb. All stock.
Anyone know what could be happening? PLEASE HELP ME, it is my only car and I need it for school!

Is dirt from the tank or bad fuel lines getting into the needle and seat?

Watch running it like that. Your gonna fill the oil with gas. Not good.

X2. If you've never dropped the tank and cleaned the entire fuel system, now is the time.

That is one thing I was wondering about. Just getting peoples opinions that know more than me, before I tear apart something that doesnt need torn apart.

Pull the needle and seat clean it and see if it fixes the problem. If it happens again pull the tank and clean it. Check the rubber hoses in the system too.

Also,pull the oil stick out and give it the ole wifff test.If you smell gas,change the oil & filter:study:

I have never done a carb, so how do I get the seat and needle out? (Sorry if it sounds dumb, but I just want to be sure how to do something before I dig into it.)

It is farely new oil, It only has maybe 200-300 miles on it since I put it in. The one day I could smell gas in it, then today I couldnt.

Where the gas line enters the carb is that brass fitting. Un hook the fuel line and pull that brass fitting out. That's the needle and seat. You'll see how it works once its out After its out blow it out with air or carb cleaner. Some times you can't even see the dirt bit its enough to hold it open and flood it.

Double and triple check the oil. Gas and bearings don't get along well.

Okay. Thanks. I will try to do it tomorrow, its to late to do much now and its raining.
Thanks again for the help! I really appreciate it.

Mine had gas leaking into the float, but if yours corrected itself once, it isn't likely that you have that problem.

I took the needle and seat out, and cleaned it. It seems to run pretty good now. Just It is still smoking. I took the lid off the valve cover and found some gunk heres a picture...
It has the consistency of pudding. Could it be a addative to the oil, and would it have something to do with my problems?

CIMG1988.jpg

CIMG1989.jpg

CIMG1990.jpg

That is MOISTURE in the oil..change the oil emmediately and make sure the operating temp is up around 180/190'. You may have an intake gasket or head gasket leaking H2O into the engone?
Anyone else had this besides me?

That is MOISTURE in the oil..change the oil emmediately and make sure the operating temp is up around 180/190'. You may have an intake gasket or head gasket leaking H2O into the engone?
Anyone else had this besides me?

i agree..

what does the smoke look like? black, blueish or white?

If you have the cylinder head off anyway, a cheap way to increase power is to have a bit planed off the head. You can take off as much as 0.080" or more, but around .040"- .060" is better for regular gas. To increase compression a lot, you should find the displacement of the combustion chambers and dial it in.

I dont have the cylinder head off. Not yet anyway. Might have to if I have a blown head gasket though.

I wont have enough money to get it planed. It will be pushing to do the head gasket if that is the problem. Or whatever else is wrong with it.

Well today it ran like 90 year old legless man. I got it running long enough to move it into the back yard, and that is where its staying until I figure some more things out with it.
May be buying this kit to redo gaskets ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0785226848&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT )
what do you guys think of it. Will it be fine to just freshen up the motor some? Hopefully get it back up and running. So i can go to some shows and cruise ins this summer.

before you rip intro the motor check things out to make sure it really is a head gasket.

at this point it can be just about anything

How often has it been driven lately? If it's not very much, that could explain the moisture buildup in the oil. Engine oil has to see a high temperature for an extended period to burn off moisture and other contaminants. Also, if the smoke is blue, it's oil, not water. Oil smoke is blue, carburetor smoke is black or grey and water is white because it is not smoke at all, it's steam. If you simply keep jumping back and forth between guesses instead if diagnosing it properly, you may never get it fixed.

Im sorry. I am just upset with it right now. Been having A LOT of problems, get them fixed, and something else goes wrong.

I drive it every single day. But I only drive it 1-2 miles to school then home. Maybe around the block on the way home just to look at stuff. But its not driven really far. I cant even get it running now to drive it.

Your short trips can cause moisture as the engine doesn't get a chance to warm up completely. Have you had to repace the muffler often?
Other causes of moisture is a defective thermostat, bad pcv valve or crankcase ventilation cap may be clogged. , and of course a blown head gasket. If It was head gasket it would be blowing lots of white smoke and will have a "sweet" smell coming out of the tailpipe. This can be checked by putting u.v. dye in the radiator and checking the inside of the tailpipe with a u.v. blacklight after running the engine.

Been having A LOT of problems, get them fixed, and something else goes wrong.

welcome to the world of a 40 year old car.

it takes time and money but you will get it where ya need it to be..

Then if it was not blowing WHITE steam or skipping when it ran last, I would not suspect a blown head gasket. It sounds like you need to drive it more. Doesn't even sound like the oil get up to temperature. If it does not, it will never boil all the moisture and contanminants out. When you get it running again, drive it. Take it for a Sunday drive and put some miles on it.

Thats one problem though. I cant even get it running now. It will start up and run for a few second, and then die. It sounds terrible to. Really low idle.

-
Back