oil slinger $11
valve covers $55
12 point stainless bolts (intake) $22
pan bolts $26
header shipping $26
thick valve cover gaskets (keeps rockers from hitting moroso covers) $43
hooker headers $460
camshaft plug $3
motor mount $16 (need a torque strap these are like jello)
fuel line and heater hoses $45
breather $10
trans lines $18
engine break in add $15
oil filter $15
case of 30w racing oil $54
trans fluid $21
anti freeze $28
install oil pressure gage and wire $25
mount MSD box $25
install engine $350
service trans/pan/filter/gaskets $50
header labor $50
trans lines/cooler labor $60
bushings $7
oil pressure gage $27
pipe nipple $5
air filter $12
MSD distributer $260
misc return -$50
boot/terminals kit $12
ignition tuning labor $20
trans gasket $10

This is the the bulk of the parts, labor, and install of a 416 into my 68 Formula S 340. I supplied a bare bored 0.30 block and some X heads that had been rebuilt by a supplier that used to advertise on this site that supplied me with supposedly rebuilt heads for about $700. The original work was very sloppy on these heads with large valve clearances and cast bushings. I have about $11000 into this motor and install. There was a significant oil leak when I first drove it 20 miles. Rick came to me with his race trailer (70 miles). Fixed that oil pan leak and a small main seal leak which was rectified by drilling a couple relief holes and opening up the rear main cap. Still runs 60 - 70 psi warm. He brought it back to my house in his trailer. Rick LaPoutrre (racingengines.com) is a stand up guy. Takes a while but his work is not hurried and perfect and he stands behind everything he does. Bay City Michigan. I just hope it stops raining this weekend so I can stand on this thing! Thanks Rick!

Thanks for posting that. Refreshing to see real world cost.

This spring when I was budgeting for the motor and install that I had been wanting since I bought the car in 2003 I figured about $6000 for the motor and $1500 to install. It ended up being about $7500 for the motor and $3500 for the install after you figure in all the little things that you don't think about. The little things add up fast. That's why I took the time to type it all in. It is really easy to think that a $3500 short block will get you in the 11's. My car was a good running car with a solid 318 in it before I started this. Now it probably has 2 times the power. Next year the 3.23's are replaced with 3.91's and I will replace the 10 inch drums. I am about our of cash now.

Why not just get a crate motor for that price?

I have seen others that paid this much too. Is just a rebuild better??

Just wondering?

This spring when I was budgeting for the motor and install that I had been wanting since I bought the car in 2003 I figured about $6000 for the motor and $1500 to install. It ended up being about $7500 for the motor and $3500 for the install after you figure in all the little things that you don't think about. The little things add up fast. That's why I took the time to type it all in. It is really easy to think that a $3500 short block will get you in the 11's. My car was a good running car with a solid 318 in it before I started this. Now it probably has 2 times the power. Next year the 3.23's are replaced with 3.91's and I will replace the 10 inch drums. I am about our of cash now.

Sounds about right. I always double my initial estimate. Might get you in the ballpark! Kinda like cylinder heads are sexy but things like head bolts and valve cover gaskets are not. Still gotta get 'em though.

Just wondering?

Crate motors kinda take the fun out of it.

But I bet Locomotion would disagree. He seems to do OK with 'em.

Just wondering?

For me there were a couple of things. I hate to admit it but I own many different brands beside just this Plymouth. I built a 355 small block chevy myself with ported early LT1 heads a few years ago and got (just guessing - no dyno) a little over 400 hp for about $4000 in the motor. Chebby parts are cheap. After that build I figured besides the good feeling you get when the motor fires a crate motor probably would have saved me a few bucks (in parts and garage beers). This motor was going in something special to me. A 1968 Formula S 340 that is very nice. I wanted about as much power as I could get while opening the hood and showing what looks like a mildly modifiedy 340. That's why I went with the ported X heads and the 416 stroker. I may look into porting the original 340 exhaust manifolds and intake in the future and running a "stock appearing" class in the future.

I looked long and hard at the crate motors available. Really the real money I have in the motor I couldn't have done it much cheaper with a crate motor. A 450+ stroker will still cost $6000+

-
Back