Hey Big Block Guys!

-

67Dart440GT

Seriously Long Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am getting a bit closer to sending out my 440 to the machine shop. I found a guy who works in the back of a bumper to bumper that is retired and does the machine work part time. Seems like a great guy. I have a ton of questions regarding the build of the 440 so any tips would be great.

First of all this rebuild is going to be alone the "stockish" specs. I want a good runner and am not interested in racing or dragging the car. Just something to get in a drive so streetable is a priority although I would like a little "pep" when needed :)

First of all I was quoted about $1000 for an engine kit from the builder. This included almost everything to finish the motor including oil pump and such. This was also supposed to include forged pistons. I cannot remember the brand so that will have to be investigated.... sound like a good price?

Secondly... I am interested in building the motor myself after the machine work is finished... IF it will save me money... how much will assembly cost? I actually don't mind paying for the assembly as TIME is very tight for me. I also wouldn't mind having the insurance of the builder after the motor is done. Any opinions?

What are your opinions on pistons and cam's? Any suggestions for a mild street motor? Are complete kits the best way to go?

Lastly this engine builder is not completely familiar with Mopar stuff, he says he has done several as a motor builder for 30+ years, but this is a BIG cheby area... Anything I should suggest to him? Thanks! Motor should be going out sometime in January.

last motor i had done by the machine shop cost 500.00 to ***.and i ran like a pos so i took it apart and had a shop check it over and fix all the machine work problems and put it tog. myself last time..now that being said im now going for my 1s big block stroker motor and will do as much as possible. but this build im shooting for 750hp so i may just let somebody else put it tog. and dyno it when done..but just a basic good short block build thats not a hi powered really high dollar parts id do myself..but thats just me mike

If he has 30+ years then he should know by now that motors is motors, if he doesnt think highly of his own abilities I would be looking for someone else. I paid my own machine shop/engine builders $250 to assembly a short block a long time ago as I was working a massive amount of overtime, no telling what they charge now but I would think around $500 to assemble a complete long block would sound fair. Maybe Comp Cams would be worth looking at for a mild streetable cam.

Just to clarify he never seemed to "not know" Mopar engines. I just wanted to get any tips or tricks I could make sure was getting done to the engine.

I paid 600 to have my BB stroker assembled. A stock motor I assemble myself, Not that hard if you have the tools and a bit of know how. 90% of putting a motor together is having the machineing done right.

I would ask if he will be using torque plates when boring and honing. Even on a stock build nice straight round cylinders is a good thing.

I believe one of the common forged pistons cataloged these days will only make about 8:1 compression with the common open chambered heads. Even for a mild street build with cast iron heads, I would still much prefer 9.5ish to 1. Double check to make sure on the piston choice.

I believe one of the common forged pistons cataloged these days will only make about 8:1 compression with the common open chambered heads. Even for a mild street build with cast iron heads, I would still much prefer 9.5ish to 1. Double check to make sure on the piston choice.

Thanks for the tip :) I will check into it. I have a set of 452 heads to go with the motor if that matters. It's a 74 Hp 440. Has a double roller, windage tray... not sure what else the Hp 440's came with.

not sure what assembly costs--ive always done it myself .

"I found a guy who works in the back of a bumper to bumper that is retired and does the machine work part time. Seems like a great guy. "

I would not do that--no way---im just being honest--take it to a reputable Machine Shop--not some guy . Do it right or you will be pulling the motor back out , or worse--have an engine failure.

Call up one of these MOPAR businesses for a rebuild kit / parts/ advice - Mancini Racing , Hughes Engines , Best Machine Engines , they will get you the right parts and help with your parts selection. I dont trust any of my local shops for part selection---they simply do not know mopars .

im a firm believer in talking with Mopar specific dealers when it comes to buying the right stuff.

why would you want some guy that builds 179 chevy small blocks in a year and maybe 2 mopars a year specifying your chrysler build ? Not me !

i agree on the 9:1 up to 10:1 comp ---use your 452 heads (rebuilt of course) -id use a hughes hydraulic cam in it --they will tell you exactly what you need for your engine

No such thing as a reputable machine shop around here! We have ONE.... Pakes engine and machine... I went in and asked them for prices, machine work, assembly... and so forth... I asked for a price on assembly... Sorry we don't do that anymore.... Who the hell would pay an ENGINE shop to machine their parts but not have the confidence to assemble a motor? I have actually had good luck in the past with the bumper to bumper machine shops... they have also done a lot of head work for a friend of mine with no issues. It seems like no matter who you ask about a machine shop "someone" has something bad to say about them regardless.

not sure what assembly costs--ive always done it myself .

"I found a guy who works in the back of a bumper to bumper that is retired and does the machine work part time. Seems like a great guy. "

I would not do that--no way---im just being honest--take it to a reputable Machine Shop--not some guy . Do it right or you will be pulling the motor back out , or worse--have an engine failure.

Call up one of these MOPAR businesses for a rebuild kit / parts/ advice - Mancini Racing , Hughes Engines , Best Machine Engines , they will get you the right parts and help with your parts selection. I dont trust any of my local shops for part selection---they simply do not know mopars .

im a firm believer in talking with Mopar specific dealers when it comes to buying the right stuff.

why would you want some guy that builds 179 chevy small blocks in a year and maybe 2 mopars a year specifying your chrysler build ? Not me !

i agree on the 9:1 up to 10:1 comp ---use your 452 heads (rebuilt of course) -id use a hughes hydraulic cam in it --they will tell you exactly what you need for your engine

Thanks for the links... I will check into those also!

i would go to your local tracks and look for the cars that people have dumped a large amount of money into and ask them who did the work on their motors. I want the guy who has been in buisnes for a long time building big money motors working on my engines even if it is stock.

oh - i see - my mistake . I didnt know "Bumper to Bumper " was a machine shop .

It sounded like a o'reilly or auto parts store.

oh - i see - my mistake . I didnt know "Bumper to Bumper " was a machine shop .

It sounded like a o'reilly or auto parts store.

They actually have a lot of machine shops in the bumper to bumper stores around here. Three that I know of. And one of them isn't an actual store, it is just a machine shop that's all they do. This guy does most of the head work, then sends the block to them for the machine work. Comes back to him and he assembles the engines.

around here assembly prices are 800-1000. there are a few shops with 1960s pricing, that i just dont trust. i went into one and there were cans of busch on the machines. they do work cheap i know guys that have used them with good and bad results. they gave my brother a price of 150 to assemble his 360. he was all over it. i told him no way. when you learn the right way, you know the work involved cleaning and checking and a price like that just makes you wonder.

First of all I was quoted about $1000 for an engine kit from the builder. This included almost everything to finish the motor including oil pump and such. This was also supposed to include forged pistons. I cannot remember the brand so that will have to be investigated.... sound like a good price?

For a grand, I suspect those pistons won't have much squeeze. Then again, if all you want is a mild build, running mid grade gas is a reality.

For a grand, I suspect those pistons won't have much squeeze. Then again, if all you want is a mild build, running mid grade gas is a reality.

Yup, all I am looking for is a good runner. I can go fast when I hit the lotto :)

-
Back