Hey Guy's and Gal's (Now with the video)

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Contact seller
New video is here,
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRFX1zctJcg&feature=youtu.be"]Classic HEI Ignition Systems - YouTube[/ame]

And on the www.classichei.com website

I would like to make a little cash on the side to get things I would like to have for my car. (Not needs, just wants)
I can build true HEI ignition systems using the GM HEI 8 pin modules that can be computer controlled (or not, your choice) via the extra four pin weatherpack connector to directly replace the original electronic ECU's and factory coil with a high output e-coil that you can run an .050 plug gap with.
They mount nicely right about where the existing ballast resistor currently is.
I built one for my car and it works really well, as it cold starts immediatly, hot starts WAY better and throttle reponse is improved.
There is a neat little toy by a company called Rabid Gator that has a ton of cool functions for setting base, total and curve of timing and uses the 8 pin module for it's controls that are described here, [ame]http://www.classichei.com/rabidgatortimingcomputer.pdf[/ame]
You don't need the computer to run the system I build, but it can be added at a later date very easily.
These 8 pin HEI ECU's are also used with Megasquirt EFI system for controlling fuel and timing.

What I propose is this.
I could build and sell the units ready to install with easy to follow directions, or trade them for parts I would like to have, that you might not need or want any longer.
This is the unit I did for my own car, and I would like to know what you all think it might be worth as a pre assembled kit with easy to follow instructions?
I know it's not rocket science to put these together, but I also know that a lot of people are not comfortable with electronics and wiring.
Plus there's my time in collecting the correct parts and doing the assembly of the connections.
You can read more about both the HEI unit as well as the computer from Rabid Gator here. www.classichei.com

The connector without wires is the computer com port, and the spade connector is for tach.

I guess this is a classified that you are allowed to comment in?

Thanks for your input everyone.

Attachments

• web1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 628
whats the heat sync from? that an over the counter part?

The heat sync is from a computer power supply and it has arctic silver ceramic heat sync compound applied to the back of the ECU. (The best compound you can get) it's way overkill as the ECU is normally exposed to 200 degrees or more in normal useage conditions.

I read the thread you had on this, and it is a nice install. Did one on my slant six with good results, and your set up looks good. Having the ability to tune it with the specialty gauge should be appealing to different people for a variety of reasons.

You may find that it takes some time to get result from starting a side biz like this,but persistence and dedication are necessary.

Good luck!

So if I wanted to install one of these on my '68 Dart with '73 electronic dist., how much $$ are we talking about..?

That's why I asked about oppinions on worth.
I'm thinking under 100 shipped, with instructions and tech support via email or phone if needed.
Since you already have an electronic distributor it would be a breeze.
Then you could ditch the coil on the manfold, the bracket, the ballast, the factory ECU off your fender, AND all that wire.

I hooked mine up to the dist, then put 12 volts to the Ecoil and tested it before I took anything else loose
I had a blue flame 2 inches long, so I continued installing it.
Best single upgrade I have done since subframe connectors.

I read the thread you had on this, and it is a nice install. Did one on my slant six with good results, and your set up looks good. Having the ability to tune it with the specialty gauge should be appealing to different people for a variety of reasons.

You may find that it takes some time to get result from starting a side biz like this,but persistence and dedication are necessary.

Good luck!

Thanks for your input and advice.
I already own a ground up business that is going on 15 years, so I know how it is.
24 hrs and not even a nasty comment was a little confusing though.
So you know the difference it makes in the ignition then.

Well, the HEI conversion is so easy, I don't really see a need for myself to buy one from someone. Somebody that isn't comfortable with such things, on the other hand, may find it more relevant.

Of course, I run an MSD, with the factory components still in place, ready to plug in, for redundancy and a plug-n'-play HEI with instructions in the toolkit for myself (triple redundant) or a stranded mo-buddy.

Well, the HEI conversion is so easy, I don't really see a need for myself to buy one from someone. Somebody that isn't comfortable with such things, on the other hand, may find it more relevant.

Of course, I run an MSD, with the factory components still in place, ready to plug in, for redundancy and a plug-n'-play HEI with instructions in the toolkit for myself (triple redundant) or a stranded mo-buddy.

I hear ya.
I figured the price would be worth gathering the right parts and doing the electrical connections to make it install ready would be worth it.
Especially with installation directions and tech support available.
Heck, I know people that couldn't install a thermostat.

Plus the fact that there is almost no information on doing it with the 8 pin ECU that the aftermarket computers use.

personally i think i'd rather push than put a poorly designed gm part on my car, these units don't last anywhere near as long as the mopar factory boxes (most likely due to being mounted directly to a hot distributor). i keep a spare ballast resistor and ignition module in my glove box that have both been there over 15 years, dont really see the need to update to a bad design

these units don't last anywhere near as long as the mopar factory boxes (most likely due to being mounted directly to a hot distributor)

That has been adressed with this design. (If that is the case)
Plus you can get them anywhere on a Sunday or holiday without ordering them.
Not lasting as long is simply not true.
It is widely known that the GM HEI is one of the most reliable systems out there.
It also widely known that the original Mopar electronic is prone to failure in the module and/or the ballast.
That's why even you have extras in the glovebox

The rest of your concern's I can't do anything about.:D

Thanks for the comment though.
That's what I wanted, was real oppinions.

I think you should go for it.
Quit saying it uses GM technoligy and build and sell.
Put it in a box and fill it with expoxy thats exactly
what the aftermarket does.
Showcase its benefits and capabilities.
Nobody questions MSD tech, they just use it.

The naysayers and diehards will always hate, leave them in the past
where they belong.
They wouldn't think twice about replacing a suspension part
with a aftermarket "UPGRADE".
They will always be sucking hind tit and most wouldn't
know a good thing unless they seen it on the news or a
tv show told them.

I don't like GM parts on a Mopar, but I have to admit, the HEI is robust. I've not had any failures with OEM stuff, but the parts-store OEM replacements leave me leery.

How much shipped to Saskatoon SK, S7L 7K7?

That's why I asked about oppinions on worth.
I'm thinking under 100 shipped, with instructions and tech support via email or phone if needed.
Since you already have an electronic distributor it would be a breeze.
Then you could ditch the coil on the manfold, the bracket, the ballast, the factory ECU off your fender, AND all that wire.

I hooked mine up to the dist, then put 12 volts to the Ecoil and tested it before I took anything else loose
I had a blue flame 2 inches long, so I continued installing it.
Best single upgrade I have done since subframe connectors.

always gonna get the people that will bash GM/Ford stuff.....even though in some cases it (the GM/Ford part) is more suited to ones goals. very well might be interested in this. pm on the way when i get home....the hounds are wanting there breakfast so gotta go

my thoughts:

i am brand loyal, although my cars have chinese garbage on them as alot of our cars do , due to junk auto zone replacement parts and the like.

if this set-up is throwing that mean of a spark and is really that reliable, im sold on it and would like to try it on my duster.

the duster is my daily driver and i have had a couple ignition issues that include a brand new junk ECU but never a failed ballast, but my factory system has never tossed a super hot spark even with an MSD blaster coil and in fact it has failed me so i replaced it with a factory coil and all has been fine, but not as good as i think it could be. this was probably due to the PO who had it wired backwards.

i cant justify spending 2-400 bucks on a new ignition set-up for a car that is basically point A to point B transportation, but it could benefit with little better gas mileage, reliability and efficiency, which this sounds to be just that, at a much cheaper price.

for a factory restoration, i will only use the factory set-up, but for cars that are driven every day or even see the occasional track time, i think this would be ideal. the old Electronic Ignition Systems are a good system, i have had them on every mopar i have ever owned, but there is definitely room for improvement and performance and this may be a cheap alternative to the high dollar set-ups.

plug and play sounds great to me , sign me up

How much shipped to Saskatoon SK, S7L 7K7?

I will only charge actual shipping and no more.
I am in the 86314 area code and you are looking at about 2 pounds.

Keep in mind that I have another business to run, so responce times to posts may be as long as half a day or so.

One of the next immediate things I would like to do is post a vid with sound of the nasty blue flame these things throw just as a point of interest.
I'm sure some of you already know, but I think it would be a good thing to do.

Thanks guys, I won't let you down.

One of the next immediate things I would like to do is post a vid with sound of the nasty blue flame these things throw just as a point of interest.
I'm sure some of you already know, but I think it would be a good thing to do.

Yup, post one when you can.

Will do.
Maybe even a comparison.

I have to go pretty soon to do my normal job, but I'll be back later this afternoon to answer any questions or whatever.

BTW it looks like we are going to go with $99.95 shipped in the lower 48 for now.
And I will add that to the website when I get back. http://www.classichei.com

Thanks

Can you talk a little about the problem you are solving with your product? What is your product an alternative to? There are probably people that see HEI and have no idea what you are talking about.

Also educate on what other changes one must do to make your product work with their setup, including application clarification.

I have seen a few successful build idea threads that became products, and generated what seems to be a good response. For example the gentleman that is building coil over mounts and upper control arms. His thread lays out what he did, how he did it step by step with pics. This may seem counter-intuitive if you are trying to make a profit. But I think most people will see what you do-respect it, then order instead of messing with it. I think this will especially be true once a few members take the plunge and give their feedback.

Best of luck to you!

How much for the RabidGator? Do you sell them too?

No we don't, and I don't know what they charge either.
I am going to call them and get some of that info though.
They are just starting out, just like I am (but my website works):D
If you want to keep tabs on thier progress www.rabidgator.com

Can you talk a little about the problem you are solving with your product? What is your product an alternative to? There are probably people that see HEI and have no idea what you are talking about.

Also educate on what other changes one must do to make your product work with their setup, including application clarification.

I have seen a few successful build idea threads that became products, and generated what seems to be a good response. For example the gentleman that is building coil over mounts and upper control arms. His thread lays out what he did, how he did it step by step with pics. This may seem counter-intuitive if you are trying to make a profit. But I think most people will see what you do-respect it, then order instead of messing with it. I think this will especially be true once a few members take the plunge and give their feedback.

Best of luck to you!

All this is coming Chris, and I totally agree.
Our website www.classichei.com has more detail than I wanted to flood FABO with, as I don't want to upset the owners over any of this.
If they are ok with it though I can do that. (Would like to actually):D

Thank you

Thanks for your input and advice.
I already own a ground up business that is going on 15 years, so I know how it is.
24 hrs and not even a nasty comment was a little confusing though.
So you know the difference it makes in the ignition then.

If I'd have known you wanted nasty comments , damn pos GM crappolla ,:)

Well it sounds like a very good idea , I was considering the HEI conversion , but did not want to start butchering the wires , If you come up with a basic plug in conversion , I think it will sell well , just have to get those first sales and good reviews
Good luck

If I'd have known you wanted nasty comments , damn pos GM crappolla ,:)

Well it sounds like a very good idea , I was considering the HEI conversion , but did not want to start butchering the wires , If you come up with a basic plug in conversion , I think it will sell well , just have to get those first sales and good reviews
Good luck

Already in the works, I just need to find a source for the coil side of the distributor plugin.

BTW, thanks for the crappolla too. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back