Hi - a little about me

-

itsdiz

Reaction score
View attachment dual carb slant six.jpg

Tried to load picture fo my hot-rod slant six, not sure what I am doing wrong. I am currently the proud owner of 5 Mopars - my daily drivers, 1994 Dodge Dakota 3.9L V-6, 1993 Chrylser Lebaron 3.3L V-6 convertible, project cars: 1948 Plymouth business coupe and 1954 Chrylser New Yorker Deluxe 4-door sedan with 331 Hemi (what else?), and I have one A-body, a 1970 Dodge Dart 4-door sedan.

My first car was a slant-6 powered 1975 Duster, which I later added a silver and maroon custom paint scheme, stained glass parking lenses and dome light, along with other interior additions. I also owned an orange 340 Duster which I replaced the blown V-8 with a slant six from a 1968 Valiant that I had at the time. This car had air shocks, side pipes, even a hood scoop! I also replaced the orange/black bench seats with black vinyl buckets and rear seat from a junkyard 360 powered Dart Sport. I have also owned the aformention 1968 Valiant, a 1974 "Space Duster" with fold-down rear seat, and a 1961 Valiant V-200. I built the aforementioned hot-rod slant six for this car and ran it for a few years. I originally used a 4-barrel carb on a modified single barrel intake, but then switched to an aluminum dual-two barrel manifold that I got from a guy in Australia. I ran two identical 318 Carter 2-barrel carbs. Since the manifold is split, with three runners going to the front cylinders and 3 to the rear, I simply fabricated a rod between the throttle linkages so as the gas pedal operated the rear carb, the front carb reacted equally.

I built this engine in the early 80s and still have it. It was bored .040 over, has a Clifford (Research) Engineering camshaft, and Ford 289 valves with dual spprings. Tip - rather than using 318 Chrylser valves which have to be cut to length and re-grooved, you can use Ford 289 valves which have virtually the same face diameter, but the stem length is identical to the original 225 (and 170, 198 I believe). All you need to do is have the valve guides bored as the Ford valves have thicker stems. I plan to use this engine in my 1948 Plymouth coupe, but first I want to bore it bigger, and add a turbo and fuel injection. I am attempting to create a Hyper-Pak manifold out of steel tubing, then add a throttle body and fuel injector bungs for a port fuel injection system. My goal is 350-400 HP.

I have been doing some research to try to locate longer connecting rods to increase the stroke, trying to compare comparable big end diameters, etc to see if I can match something up. Does anyone know of any combination that will work for increasing the stroke? I have found very little on the internet, other than offset-grinding the rod journals to increase stroke, no mention of stroker rods or other rods that will fit.

Welcome! Very cool stuff! Got any pics of the Plymouth coupe? :glasses7:

Guess it did work - here is another photo of my slant six and my Hyper-Pak manifold prototype in progress

Attachments

• Slant Six.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 114
  • Slant 6 Hyper manifold.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 122
Welcome to FABO.

Very interesting projects that you have there...

Welcome to FABO, cool trinkets you got there.
How about some pics of the other cars?

Those Aussies are fabulous - they have so much more cool six-cylinder stuff. Thanks for the link, definitely worth checking out!!

These are my projects: 1) 1954 Chrysler New Yorker, 331 Hemi; this will be my custom "lead sled." I found these really cool tail lights in a box, no idea how I got them. I am working on frenching them in using the fabbed piece shown (not complete yet). I also plan to french the headlights, and add fender skirts to the rear.

2) The Plymouth coupe is a 1948 business coupe (no rear seat); this will be the hot rod. I have a 1994 Ford Crown Victoria that will give up it's rear drive, 4-wheel disc brake system for the coupe and plans now are for the hi-po slant six as a power plant.

3) The 1970 Dart was given to my by neighbor, it's rough and a four door, but who can turn down a free car, especially an A-body?

4) The last car is my current project, a 1948 Austin (not Austin-Healey!) A40 Dorset. Dorsets were 2-doors and only made from 1947-1949. Devons were the 4-door model and were made into 1951. It has a 1.2L 4-cylinder. This is my restoration project, it has been in my family since the mid-50s, my mother drove it to school in 1956. According to a group of Austin collectors that I have become a member of, there are possibly as few as 20 of the Dorsets left running original drivetrains. Most of these were chopped up and turned into drag cars, just like the Anglias and Willys coupes.

The convertible is my 1993 Chrysler Lebaron, my daily driver.

Attachments

• Green Machine 2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Rag Doll Topless.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 48
  • PHTO0671.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Received 2006.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 44
-
Back