Hi from Arizona/New Mexico

-

MCPObr44

Reaction score
Hello
Thought I had better introduce myself here before asking questions in the main forum. I only have my 1971 Valiant 4 door but I am a do it yourself type guy and I always register on forums such as this so I can participate in the community and learn. I am 25 years old and currently daily driving Valentine (my Valiant) to and from college as I work on my electronics technology degree. Looking forward to lots of greasy fingers and a smooth running car with your guy's help.

Thanks!
MCPOBr44

welcome aboard bud

i just replied to your brake post

toss some pics of valentine up for us

Welcome! Pictures are welcome also of your car :)
Along with greasy fingers will come a few busted knuckles :D

welcome aboard bud

i just replied to your brake post

toss some pics of valentine up for us
I would but I am kinda embarrassed. Valentine is pretty rough and is a work in progress. I hit a deer a month ago which destroyed the grill and bashed the passenger fender pretty bad. It's all in pieces as I get that fixed and isn't really photogenic at the moment.

But speaking of photos, I intend to take a really high resolution one of the 9 inch drum when it's back together and post it here so people can find it and use it for reference. I noticed that specific one doesn't have many pictures floating around on the interwebs yet. Don't worry, Valentine will be making an appearance just as soon as he is presentable.

sounds good

deer damage sucks , but now you can do her up however you like

are you dead set on using the 9 inch drums?
there is nothing wrong with them, but for about 500 bucks you can install a scarebird brake conversion, and have front discs
(i really should know better then to ask a college kid is hes got an extra 500 laying around)

Hello and welcome from the East Valley in AZ. You are a rare breed. A 25 year old, old school Mopar lover who works and goes to college. Post the pics. Most here are not judgmental and are here to help.

sounds good

deer damage sucks , but now you can do her up however you like

are you dead set on using the 9 inch drums?
there is nothing wrong with them, but for about 500 bucks you can install a scarebird brake conversion, and have front discs
(i really should know better then to ask a college kid is hes got an extra 500 laying around)
Unfortunately yes. Heck 500 bucks is half of what I paid for the whole car. Dropping that much for disc brakes is a super big hurt that I couldn't handle at the moment. Maybe someday when I have a better job I can afford that, and it will probably be right around the time I need to do my brakes again. Until then I am just happy with being able to safely stop in any fashion.

Hello and welcome from the East Valley in AZ. You are a rare breed. A 25 year old, old school Mopar lover who works and goes to college. Post the pics. Most here are not judgmental and are here to help.
well..... unless u want to build a 318, then a little judgement will be passed.... :D
:lol:

Welcome... good to get some more people o here with smarts!!! Get used to the stopping distance needed with the 9 inchers, not like a modern car you know! The disc is a great upgrade when it is feasible for you.

totally understood
you know, paladin makes a good point
post up some pictures of the damage and you might be able to find a fellow member who can help you get the parts to fix it

Alright in that case, here is Valentine for better or worse.

_IGP4004.JPG

Here is the pretty side of the car, ignoring the radiator stuff I have by the wheel. It looks so small but I fit in there surprisingly comfortable even if I am a huge guy and 6'1 to boot.
_IGP4007.JPG

Here you can see the deer damage and what's left after I tore the shattered remains of my grill off. The deer was moving left to right in front of me and I was cruising at 55 when it hit that front right side and went careening off the road. I have some body work to do, and still need to finish replacing my radiator.
_IGP4008.JPG

Here you can see more of the fender damage. Pardon my brake dust!
_IGP4010.JPG

View from the back. It's pretty clear I have some reupholstering to do. The Arizona sun is relentless.
_IGP4012.JPG

By some amazing miracle, the headliner is flawless. That sun vizor could use some help though, and is on my list for replacement.
_IGP4013.JPG

I recently repaired the instrument cluster. Before it was having that classic "no fuel or temp gauge" issue, which I resolved with some soldering and a replacement part. The sending unit in the tank was bad too but some soldering and gasoline down the armpit fixed that problem. No I didn't solder it while it was coated in gas!!! ;D
_IGP4015.JPG

Door panels look pretty dang good too, just like the headliner. Although that little plastic piece of trim behind the door latch could use some help.

Eventually I will have this car back together and 100%. I am thinking of painting it the same color as the interior because I am not a big fan of white. It shows dirt too easily. I didn't take a picture of the engine compartment because that is flat out TOO embarrassing, seeing as it is a solid puck of grease and oil. The car has a 225 slant six in it. Hope I didn't forget anything!

Actually the car doesn't look that bad compared to others I've seen here on FABO...LOL!! Does need a little work but as long as you have the energy it shouldn't be a problem. However......because of the condition of the dash it looks like the car was involved as a test vehicle for one of the New Mexico/Arizona Nuclear Bomb test sites???

https://www.quora.com/Where-has-the-U-S-tested-nuclear-weapons
Otherwise nice car!!
Treblig

Welcome to FABO, did I read that odometer right? 28967.4? That original miles? The digits do look pretty straight across.

Actually the car doesn't look that bad compared to others I've seen here on FABO...LOL!! Does need a little work but as long as you have the energy it shouldn't be a problem. However......because of the condition of the dash it looks like the car was involved as a test vehicle for one of the New Mexico/Arizona Nuclear Bomb test sites???

https://www.quora.com/Where-has-the-U-S-tested-nuclear-weapons
Otherwise nice car!!
Treblig
hehe yeah the dash pad is pretty bad. Like I said, the Arizona sun is completely relentless.
Welcome to FABO, did I read that odometer right? 28967.4? That original miles? The digits do look pretty straight across.
The odometer does work perfectly, but I would guess it has rolled over once.

-
Back