Hide-a-key tales

-
Reaction score
So I found this in a car I was parting and remembered when...we weren't old enough to buy liquor but a friend looked of age. This friend had a terrible sense of direction and when he'd go into the store we would move the car to a different parking spot. This friend would come out and wander the lot, often walking past the car. He also had a loud voice and short temper which upped the entertainment value.
One time he had had enough and demanded the keys to the car or he wasn't buying the booze. The driver relented and after my friend went into the store the driver opened the hood and pulled out the hide-a-key. We moved the car. My friend, who made a note of where we parked, was now totally confused as he wandered the lot. When he asked how we moved the car we told him we pushed it.

20170526_161003.jpg

It's also a good place to keep a 50 dollar bill for when your stranded!!
As for your story, I think I would have told your friend that you never moved the car and that he was just confused....that would have really messed with his mind???

Treblig

It's also a good place to keep a 50 dollar bill for when your stranded!!
As for your story, I think I would have told your friend that you never moved the car and that he was just confused....that would have really messed with his mind???

Treblig
We did that as well. He was fairly gullible which, when you're young, makes for a lot of entertainment.

Back in the mid 80s a friend gave me a 68 Impala SW that had an interesting story to go with it. About two years previously he had been driving home from work and it died, leaving him stranded on the roadside. He got a ride home and left it there.

When he came the next day to retrieve it, it was gone. He filed a stolen car report but never heard another thing about it.

Two years go by and he gets a letter from a local police dept. asking him to come get his car out of the impound lot. Apparently some overzealous towing company had snatched it off the roadside not long after it crapped out. When this came out some lawsuits were filed, as there had been some antique collectable toys in the back of the car that were missing.

He no longer wanted the car and so gave it to me, as I had a car trailer and could haul it away. After getting it home I started checking it out and discovered that basically the reason it died was that it was in severe need of a good tuneup. In particular it really needed a new set of plug wires as the ones on the car crumbled in my hands when pulling them off the plugs.

Now I'm finally getting to the part about the hide-a-key. After getting all the fresh parts on the car I was ready to try and start it, but didn't have a key. I'm standing there wishing I had a key, and then suddenly the sun shines down into one of the dark recesses in the engine compartment and I see something. So I reach down in there and pull out a rusty hide-a-key box. I squeeze the box, it crumbles in my hand and there is a new OE key for the car. Incredibly, the car started and ran reasonably well, the A/C even still blew kind of cool.

I always try and carry two sets of keys, but nevertheless, I got locked out of the Red 86 Ranger I used to have, TWICE. Both times was without my "second set."

When I was tearing out the trailer brake wiring to sell it, I pulled the wires out of the frame and "somewhere" a magnetic key box fell out!!! I sure didn't put it there, LOL

I have used hide a key before , but when I need it I can't remember where I put it. Takes about 20 minutes before I find it.
Yote

I never lock my car.
If I am far from home I disable the battery in the trunk. And remove the 2ft coil wire. And the rotor for good measure. It has always been there for me in the morning.
If I am near home,I leave at least one window partially open,disable the ignition system (secret switch) and leave the keys on the floor,somewhere. It has always been there for me when I return.
Oh yeah; I relocated the factory start relay down on the passenger frame-rail, right beside the hot header.
So what has that got to do with Hide-A-key ?
Nothing.
Just don't forget where you put that 2ft coilwire.lol

Not hide a key but is a move the car story. Back when we would cruise a loop up and down Main Street. My best bud Phil had a 65 SS Impala ( his hotrod was our weekend cruiser while my 71 6 cyl. Gremlin was our way to school, work, weekday ride ).
A local girl ( hot chick ) Jeannie had a 67 Lemans vert. His key fit her switch. I forget how/when he discovered this. Anyway... She would often leave hers parked and hop in to cruise with some guy. So I would use Phils key to move her car to the parking lot at opposite end of our cruise loop. After blowing her mind several times I did get caught. When she saw me driving her car all I could do was smile and wave. Busted LOL

Last edited:
Worked with a guy hat had a 80's Cutlass that had some bad rockers.he dropped the car at my house so I could repair it and left a spare key with it. After the repair he picked up the car but for some reason I don't remember I still had the spare key. Fast forward about a year later and he had sold the car to a friend of mine. We drove past his girlfriends house late one night ( April 1st) when it hit me I still had the key to his car. I drove it over and parked it in front of his sisters house as that was where he was living. When he came out and the car was gone he called his sister to pick him up stating the car was stolen. She bought he was messing with her since it was pried in front of the house. It took him a few years to be able to laugh about it.

1st camper 9 years ago. We were in Chincoteague for the annual pony swim. Mother-in-law was with us. We got back from the beach, Mom unlocks the camper and sets the keys inside on the counter and comes right back out and closes the door. She accidentally locked the door handle when she pulled the key out. Luckily I had not locked the outside compartment where the little laundry drop came thru. Went to the site across from us and borrowed their 3 yr old little boy with his dad's permission. Sent him up thru the laundry drop so he could open the door from the inside.

By the time we went camping again, I had a camper and truck key hidden up under my truck. I've never needed it since then. And I rewarded that little boy with an ice cream sandwich

1st camper 9 years ago. We were in Chincoteague for the annual pony swim. Mother-in-law was with us. We got back from the beach, Mom unlocks the camper and sets the keys inside on the counter and comes right back out and closes the door. She accidentally locked the door handle when she pulled the key out. Luckily I had not locked the outside compartment where the little laundry drop came thru. Went to the site across from us and borrowed their 3 yr old little boy with his dad's permission. Sent him up thru the laundry drop so he could open the door from the inside.

By the time we went camping again, I had a camper and truck key hidden up under my truck. I've never needed it since then. And I rewarded that little boy with an ice cream sandwich
A close friend of mine that I ran around w/ as a teenager, had a hide a key on his mom and dad`s 61 impala. He would roll it out of the garage ( DETATCHED) down the hill in front of their house before starting it. He took it one morning and was cruising around the high school. I talked him into letting me go take my drivers test in it, as it was Friday morning, and that's when they tested there. Passed the test , no problem, as I had been driving on the farm for many yrs. No one ever found out I took my drivers test in a stolen car !

-
Back