high amp alternator?

-

17dartandbroke

Reaction score
I want a good one wire setup that can run an electric fan, electric fuel pump, and electric water pump on the street.......with headlights and a radio as well. I have an external regulator, but would prefer one with a built in regulator. Who sells a good 100 - 120 amp setup for a small block chrysler. Is there any sort of bracket that I need to run one of this sort? And, since my battery is in the trunk can I run the one wire to the starter relay?

thanks,
Daryl

17dartandbroke said:
I want a good one wire setup that can run an electric fan, electric fuel pump, and electric water pump on the street.......with headlights and a radio as well. I have an external regulator, but would prefer one with a built in regulator. Who sells a good 100 - 120 amp setup for a small block chrysler. Is there any sort of bracket that I need to run one of this sort? And, since my battery is in the trunk can I run the one wire to the starter relay?

thanks,
Daryl

I just installed a PowerMaster 1-wire in my car:

alternator.jpg

It's rated at 80 amps, and is a bolt-in - it uses the stock brackets. It's a 1-wire, so all you need to do is run the one wire back to your battery.

They've also got 140, 170 and 200 amp units:

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/mopar.html

Keep in mind if you go with a higher output alternator you're gonna have to upgrade your wiring.

Thanks for the info. So, for the one wire I should use the 2 gauge all the way back to the battery? I just installed a Ron Francis harness on the car. Do you think that would handle a 100 amp?

17dartandbroke said:
Thanks for the info. So, for the one wire I should use the 2 gauge all the way back to the battery? I just installed a Ron Francis harness on the car. Do you think that would handle a 100 amp?

I used #4 AWG marine battery cable. It's stranded and easy to work with.

I have no idea what a Ron Francis harness is.

17dartandbroke said:
also, if you dont mind me asking what did you give for your alt?

It was around $130, if I remember correctly.

I am going to convert to a GM style 12si alternator on my Dart. Why? Because they are reliable, they work great and they are dirt cheap. There are high amperage after market units available too. Or, you can just get a case from the junk yard and buy a kit to rebuilt it as a higher amperage output. Not sure what has to be done to the mounting brackets to bolt one on, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Also, a 1-wire alternator is not necessarily a good thing. Sure, they are easier to hookup... but you loose the remote voltage sensing capability. Remote sensing compensates for voltage drops in the wiring. It's worth the extra effort of running a couple more wires.

I had my stock 60 amp rebuilt locally. They put all 100 amp guts in it. $130

I'm currently building a main bussbar for the engine compartment. That way I'll only have two wires coming from the trunk.One supplying power to the buss, one direct to the starter.

Remember Mopar used to make Ambulance's grab on from a parts store for one of those or from a police car! Cheaper and still Mopar easier to hookup then converting to other makes

plumcrazy73

-
Back