High compression, big cam?? Help

-

1969Fish

Reaction score
Hey all.

Building a 440 for my drag 70 dart that was 2800 lbs race weight with 440 and me in it. 488 gear 32" tall x 13.5" wide tire. Coil over and ladder bar car.

Rebuilding motor. Got fresh 440 core, steel crank and eddy rpm 84cc heads with mild port. Would like to be around 12.5:1 to 13:1. (How high can you go without milling heads much???) I am gonna run 110 race fuel for now.

What cam/piston would y'all recommend? Would like to make a high compression 440 with a big cam that will make it all work well. I know big cam isn't always good. Just looking for advice on this setup.

I'm not afraid to mill block and intake but would rather not take much off my heads.

Thanx in advance

BK

What rods are you hanging these pistons on? And why is this thread familiar?

You can go 12-13-14 to one with domed Pistons but they get heavy, that's why most like to use flat top Pistons for the lighter weight and better flame travel. Your going to have to check out piston suppliers and calculators to see where you will end up taking bore and gasket into account. As far as cam the compression and head flow will dictate, once that is known call comp, isky, etc.. For there input.

My mate ran a race '69 Dart (3150lbs) 440 with JE dome pistons, Eddy Heads milled to 76cc, flow was 325cfm by MCH, ran a .590 solid flat tappet DC cam, Victor intake and 1050 Dom, was 12.7:1 with fel-pro .039 gskts, it made around 600hp, personally I think he was a bit under cammed and should've gone up at least 1 step, best was 10.1@131, but as said best to talk to some cam/piston people, or engine builders like MRL on this board for more specific advice.

Can you get up around 13 with a flat top piston without milling the heads?

No you can't, not without milling those heads. And we cannot recommend a piston unless we know the pin diameter of the rod you are using.

You can use the 4.350" Ross 80761 14cc dome piston for the 1.094 pin. With a zero deck, 84cc head and .039 gasket you'll be at 12.3:1. They also have a .990 pin piston with the same 14cc dome.

call hughes cams they will get you a right cam for your wants and build correct the first time if you explain it right to them . have all your info readyand what you want to achieve . GL with your build

-
Back