High compression with aluminum heads and pump gas???????

-
Renegade Fuels recommends 11:1 compression with their Hot Rod 102 octane unleaded. So that is a much higher octane rating than premium pump gas and they only recommend 11:1 compression ratio.

I'll have a 10.5 CR big block on the dyno in a few weeks. We'll probably be using the Hot Rod 102 or maybe a mix of it and pump gas. I wouldn't run it WOT on just pump gas. I just don't think pump gas is good enough for a big bore engine at 7000 rpm, especially without any of the electronic crutches that the OEM's have.

There's too many variables to generalise..

On a side note - The Ferrari 458 has 14:1 comp. The GT3 Porsche is 12.9:1.

Hi Tubtar,

I was wrong. In Brazil we have 95 at Podium Pump Gas but we have a federal law that forces that all types gasoline must be 25% of Ethanol. Price is around U$: 1.30 per liter.

This is a problem when Brazilian costumers buy a Edelbrock carb. Normally we have a lot of problems with corrosion...

Attached a table with comparison between most popular types of gasoline in Brazil.

Diego

I had a carb built for ethanol since I run E-85 , but with 25% I am guessing you need to richen it up over what it would like on straight dinosaur fuel.
That is enough to be a real concern for corrosion too.
I think the US is the at the pump octane pussies of the free world...........I have been around a bit and it seems like everywhere I go has much higher octane available at every station. Here , you can find it in spots but you have to know where to look.

Also my Jetta is 10.3:1 and runs on 87.
That's nothing to be proud of , Son. lol

Just had my heads redone , 11.4 :1 is now calculated compression ratio , EDELBROCK Alu heads , now closed chamber 55cc , forged Mahle pistons , comp 262 cam with 1.6 rockers . Will find out Thursday how it runs . Think I'm going to need 94 octane again , been running 89-91 octane before fixing the open chamber heads .

-
Back