high milage muscle

-

Muad'Dib15

Reaction score
http://www.hemmings.com/subscribe/current_issue.html?publication=MUS
I went to a grocery store yesterday and while I was there, I checked out the new hemmings muscle car magazine. The cover "topic" is high milage muscle cars with the cover story being a 1969 Charger Daytona with 250K miles. It kinda made me wish I knew about that topic so I could have hopefullly had my car on there. :D (270K)

Anybody else have a really high milage A body here?

500,000 or so, maybe more?

Heres the deal. I purchased the car ( 1979 Dodge Manum) from the 1 and only owner of it. He purchased the car off the show room floor. The record keeping was unbeileveable. Everything was recorded down to spark plugs, wires light bulbs radio repair windshield wiper blade replacement coolent changes, rear axle oil changes...it was nutz!

The car was purchased (IIRC) mid-ish '79. In 1989, he stop recording miles with over 325,000. He then gave the car to his Daughter for 4 years of collage about a 1-1/2 hour drive off Long Island into upstate New York. He rolled his eyes and said, She was home every freakin weekend for money and laundry.

Then his son got the car for 4 more years of collage at the same school. And good Lord knows what boys do when they get wheels and are free to do what ever... He laffed at some of the crap his son did. Pictures sent home from St. Louis, Canada western Penn. I laffed and said, "Oh, you mean he went places huh?" He giggled and said you have no idea! Though he didn't come home as much."

After 8 years of collage, he told me he used thecar as a daily driver to and from work. So I enquired where and what he did. He said he was a Fireman in south Jamacia Queens.
Humm, Babylon to Queens I asked. Yep! He said. That is approx 35 miles 1 way.
For how long? 10 years.

Hum, 70 miles round trip for 1 day, times 5 for one week is 350 miles per week, times 47 weeks per year (Minus 4 weeks vaction?) 16,450 per year times 10 years is 164,500 miles in traveling to work alone. For about 350,000 miles total not includeing the 8 years of collage. Oh which was in Oneonta, NY. I'm guessing , wait.....mapquest suggested 321 miles, 1 way. How many weekends in collage? For 4 years? Home everyweekend? Not to mention driving around. Then his son? Ha ha ha. Who knows what really happened there. Kegs in the trunk, girls in the back, buds up front and no maps tot travel on. Ha ha ha

Forgeddaboutit.

The engine went into a '74 Duster and turned a 15.14 @ 89 mph untuned on a cold Nov. day at ATCO with a sure grip equiped 3.21 geared rear and 225/70/14's, stock '79-904 trans, stock small valved heads.

I added a 600 1850 Holley on top of a LD4B edelbrock intake, crane cams 216/228-.454/.480 lift on a 112 C-line and a Jegs 2-1/2 exhaust kit. An electric fan was also used.

-
Back