high oil pressure

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I picked p a 76 Volare 318 car, runs drives although I am yet to run down the road. Just got the leaking brake line repaired. The PO had recently put a "gauge type" oil sender on it, and I hooked up an aftermarket gage to it. I admit I always bypass the idiot light and install a mechanical gauge, but after triple bypass and getting too the age of 71, blood thinner, and bruising like a baby peach, I really did not want to pull the dist., and deal with it all!
I figure the oil pump relief spring is maybe stuck, question is, anyway for me to diagnose this other than hook up mechanical gauge??? It shows 100 pound cold!

X2. There is no reason to believe that some random sender and some gauge are compatible. "The ones that are supposed to be" are inaccurate enough!!!

Just a guess on my part but I am guessing a mismatched sender and gauge.
It is the sender (looks new) for an electric oil pressure gauge ( not the one for the dash idiot light), and the under dash gauge I added for it is an electric gauge. Only two senders I know of is the one for the dash idiot light ,and the one for the gauge that actually shows pressure. I guess the after market under dash electric gauge uses the OEM sender!?
This is the first time is did not hook up the copperor plastic line an use a mechanical gauge!

It is the sender (looks new) for an electric oil pressure gauge ( not the one for the dash idiot light), and the under dash gauge I added for it is an electric gauge. Only two senders I know of is the one for the dash idiot light ,and the one for the gauge that actually shows pressure. I guess the after market under dash electric gauge uses the OEM sender!?
This is the first time is did not hook up the copperor plastic line an use a mechanical gauge!

Not usually, no. S&W, Autometer gauges all have their own proprietary senders. "If I was to guess" they were OEM, I'd guess they used GM, not Mopar

There is only one way to tell- put a mechanical gauge on the engine and test.
Sometimes ya gotta bruise an apple or too before ya know its ripe.

LOL!
Get a younger and more energetic person to make the test for you. Pass on your knowledge!

Maybe someone installed a high pressure pump? I have a high volume pump in a 390 that burys the mechanical gauge past 100 and goes down when warmed up.

There is only one way to tell- put a mechanical gauge on the engine and test.
Sometimes ya gotta bruise an apple or too before ya know its ripe.

LOL!
Get a younger and more energetic person to make the test for you. Pass on your knowledge!
Find me one!!!!! ha I have not seen any energetic or that have any desire for anything other than puter games!!! ha Out here is the sticks!
Looks like I found this gauge at O' Really... I will get out my magnifying glass and see if I can read the brand!!!! I will ask them to look it in their puter next trip, but it took me half hour to pay them for a Neg. battery cable this AM when we made the trip to town!! 2 guy checking out and answering the phone, one guy in back room, and mgr.in his office and 8 customers! ha again!
This is just a 76 RoadRunner wanna be (Decal car!) , 318 2 bbl low compression smogger, 2:45 gears!!! If it blew up I would not be out much!!!! But, does not take much to make me happy anymore!! If I could chip a tire, I would probably pee in my jeans!!!! ha

BUT it is orange!!!!!!!!

100_2397.JPG

The spec for oil pressure is given hot and normally at 2000 RPM. I wouldn't worry about what it is cold as long as it's not blowing the oil filter off.

You guys might just be right!!!!! 100 pounds is a lot of pressure!!! Is that possible??
Absolutely possible with a stuck relief valve (or one shimmed too high). I've had 2 completely different engine shoot past 100 psi cold at start up. One (the Ford) blew out the oil filter gasket, and the other pumped most of the oil into the head (GM 4 banger engine) in a race and left the mains dry and they seized. So I would not downplay too high a pressure; it CAN bite you big time.

But first, put a known oil pressure gauge to make sure.

Just a thought. If the sender is an oe type. Disconnect the guage and measure the resistance from sender to ground while the engine is running. 10 to 70 ohms should be about the range with about 23 ohms being mid guage (35-45 psi) 10 ohms would be very high like 80 psi and 70 ohms would be low like 0 to10 psi .
This is based on 0 to 80 stock 60s mopar oil guage and my memory and logic. ALL of which could be wrong. ;-)

Just a thought. If the sender is an oe type. Disconnect the guage and measure the resistance from sender to ground while the engine is running. 10 to 70 ohms should be about the range with about 23 ohms being mid guage (35-45 psi) 10 ohms would be very high like 80 psi and 70 ohms would be low like 0 to10 psi .
This is based on 0 to 80 stock 60s mopar oil guage and my memory and logic. ALL of which could be wrong. ;-)
I will test that today! Good info to know.

By the way, the car is ORANGE! ha Damn computer!!!

I could not get any reading, sender bad I guess.

how about some photos

sender is a 1 wire sender correct?

-
Back