High quality lifters???

-

446DART

Reaction score
I bought new valvetrain parts, and cleaned my new hyd. pro magnum lifters and found out that half of the set has a few holes in the bottom??? Really small ones, can´t feel them but visible. We compared to other brand and yes, the same thing, holes. Does it have any affect to my extreme enyrgy cam, or should I ignore them? The speedshop I bought them says don´t worry it´s quite common, he could order a new set, but it would be the same. Is it really so?

I have seen this too and often wondered about the quality of them. Hopefully someone replies who has some knowledge in this area.

11010142pe.jpg

If it's what I think it is, it's an attempt to get oil directly to the lifter face, and keep it there. I havent seen them, but I've heard of them before. A fairly new product I think. When in doubt, call Comp..See what they tell you?

I Didn´t mean "holes", maybe craters is more presice word for what I mean. Maybe the material has been porous or something, anyway those are defenetly something that is not ment to be there. The contactarea between lifter and lobe is small and the loads(?) are high, + I have extreme energy cam, which causes even higher loads. I Don´t want to grind my new cam, have anyone experience about this type of problem(is it a problem at all?)??? Knowledge increases pain?!

There's a big difference in "hole" and a surface imperfection. Any surface imperfection can give you problems during break in. You also should be turning the engine by hand before the pushrods go back in, and verifying that the lifters are spinning in the bores. I have heard about some ground without the proper taper, so they dont rotate..That too will cause failure. I've never seen them, but I have heard of lifters with a small oiling hole in the base of the lifter. It would be a pinhole, nothing large, and is used to feed oil directly to the base of the lifter.
If you see pits or defects in the base surface, send them back, and get replacements before you install them. There is currently only one hydraulic lifter manufacturer in the US, all others are offshore, and quality is marginal at best even with the US versions.

Installed them! And yes. there was only minor surface imperfection, not holes! Works nice now. I´m very pleased with my combo: 440 030", ~10:1, 452 heads milled to 69cc, ported in 270 cfm/0,5" lift, 67% ex, std size ferrea+K-line. comp xe 274 + magnum rollers, Torker II+750 speed demon, 2" CPPA headers+ 2,5" pipes, dynomax. throtle responce exellent, and seems to run well, idles 650 rpm. Waiting summer to come and tracks to open again(april).

446DART said:
Installed them! And yes. there was only minor surface imperfection, not holes! Works nice now. I´m very pleased with my combo: 440 030", ~10:1, 452 heads milled to 69cc, ported in 270 cfm/0,5" lift, 67% ex, std size ferrea+K-line. comp xe 274 + magnum rollers, Torker II+750 speed demon, 2" CPPA headers+ 2,5" pipes, dynomax. throtle responce exellent, and seems to run well, idles 650 rpm. Waiting summer to come and tracks to open again(april).

Keep an eye on them, there should be no imperfection on the base of the lifter, they should have a nice swirl pattern, hopefully you'll be ok, BTW, who did your heads, how much was milled off, what kind of piston do you have, how far down are they, i would think with 69cc and close to 0 deck you would have alot more then 10.1, my 906s are 84cc and pistons are .009 below deck, i have 10.25 comp. with a .039 1009 gasket. my bore is only .020 more then yours.

JoeDust451 said:
Keep an eye on them, there should be no imperfection on the base of the lifter, they should have a nice swirl pattern, hopefully you'll be ok, BTW, who did your heads, how much was milled off, what kind of piston do you have, how far down are they, i would think with 69cc and close to 0 deck you would have alot more then 10.1, my 906s are 84cc and pistons are .009 below deck, i have 10.25 comp. with a .039 1009 gasket. my bore is only .020 more then yours.
Only few lifters had 1-3 "holes"(what was that word???crater???), and sized like this dot . not big anyway. I will check the cam from time to time. I Did the heads "myself", I said to the machinist to mill as much as he dares-> almost to zero deck. And the pistons are flat tops and they exist far, far away down the cylinder :) Doublechecked that CR!
run those heads now about 13 000km...about 8 000ml, before this (full)portjob.
Only setback now is that the sliding yoke bushing is really badly worn, should replace it asap. The driving season is about to end anyway.

-
Back