High Voltage & Jailbreak ('73 & '76 Dusters)

-

1972Swinger

Reaction score
Here are the Duster brothers I have mentioned a few times. Hopefully sometime this week I will be getting the '76, and later get the '73.

Lowdown:
Found these while pursuing a black 1972 Duster parked at a nearby house. Turns out the guy who owned that car also owned these. They were meant to be parted out, but luckily he lost interest in that. (The '72 is still sitting at that house, with a tree growing up in the front bumper.)

Anyway, after finding these fellas parked behind a garage, I have tried to buy them. At first he didn't want to sell, then he said I could buy the '73, and after that I could buy both. $300.00:supz:

Only condition is that I have to yank the disc brakes and A/C parts off the '76, and the power steering from the '73. No problem. He didn't even know everything he needed for the conversion, so I will pull them for him.

The 1973 car is a GOLD Duster with no interior. Side glass is missing, and has manual front drum brakes. Slant six, column auto, unknown rear. (Couldn't get to it.)

'76 is just a base duster with a slant six, 3spd transmission (WOOHOO!!), and 7-1/4" rear. Weird thing is that it is big bolt pattern with front discs.:scratch: Also has A/C but no power steering. Combine that with the 3spd and you get one weird machine. Originally blue on blue, now has a spray bombed black interior and raunchy peeling red outside. Some badass peeling, rusted Cragar S/S wheels clinch the look.

The title comes from the name I already thought up for the cars. The GOLD Duster is named High Voltage, after its yellow color (and AC/DC album of the same name). The '76 is named Jailbreak after the AC/DC song, and that I "Jailbroke" it from its rotting hell.:-D

Neither cars have titles, but a good friend of mine is a cop, and will run the VIN's for me. I am going to get a Bill of Sale for them. Printed off the internet. 'Nother weird fact. I know the kid who owned these before him! I am actually good friends with him. Sit with him at lunch at school. His plan was to part them out too.

Plan:
Use parts off the '73 and sell.
Maybe keep the '76 and go vintage style with it. (SHACKLED TO THE SKY!!!)8)

First pic is the '76.
Second is the '73 GOLD Duster.
Third is one of the Cragar's on the '76.

nice score on the cars! the 73 looks to be the nicer of the two but it might just be the color that looks better

Here are the Duster brothers I have mentioned a few times. Hopefully sometime this week I will be getting the '76, and later get the '73.

Lowdown:
Found these while pursing a black 1972 Duster parked at a nearby house. Turns out the guy who owned that car also owned these. They were meant to be parted out, but luckily he lost interest in that. (The '72 is still sitting at that house, with a tree growing up in the front bumper.)

Anyway, after finding these fellas parked behind a garage, I have tried to buy them. At first he didn't want to sell, then he said I could buy the '73, and after that I could buy both. $300.00:supz:

Only condition is that I have to yank the disc brakes and A/C parts off the '76, and the power steering from the '73. No problem. He didn't even know everything he needed for the conversion, so I will pull them for him.

The 1973 car is a GOLD Duster with no interior. Side glass is missing, and has manual front drum brakes. Slant six, column auto, unknown rear. (Couldn't get to it.)

'76 is just a base duster with a slant six, 3spd transmission (WOOHOO!!), and 7-1/4" rear. Weird thing is that it is big bolt pattern with front discs.:scratch: Also has A/C but no power steering. Combine that with the 3spd and you get one weird machine. Originally blue on blue, now has a spray bombed black interior and raunchy peeling red outside. Some badass peeling, rusted Cragar S/S wheels clinch the look.

The title comes from the name I already thought up for the cars. The GOLD Duster is named High Voltage, after its yellow color (and AC/DC album of the same name). The '76 is named Jailbreak after the AC/DC song, and that I "Jailbroke" it from its rotting hell.:-D

Neither cars have titles, but a good friend of mine is a cop, and will run the VIN's for me. I am going to get a Bill of Sale for them. Printed off the internet. 'Nother weird fact. I know the kid who owned these before him! I am actually good friends with him. Sit with him at lunch at school. His plan was to part them out too.

Plan:
Use parts off the '73 and sell.
Maybe keep the '76 and go vintage style with it. (SHACKLED TO THE SKY!!!)8)

First pic is the '76.
Second is the '73 GOLD Duster.
Third is one of the Cragar's on the '76.

You DA MAN!!!:cheers:
Nice cars!! Great Save!!8)

Woohoo!8)

Big problem though. Turns out the '76 has a 4spd, not a 3spd. (Don't blame me, when it was loaded on the trailer the guy yelled that it had three shift rods. I couldn't find reverse until I messed with it for a while.) Because of this I am going to have to yank it, and the rear end, and give them to him.:angry7:

Only good thing is that he is giving me the column shifter and 3spd out of his black Duster, and those will go in the Dart. Won't have to cut anything up.

They are a bit rougher than I expected, but oh well. Not sure what my course of action is right now. Just need to think for a while.

STARTED THE '76!!!

Okay. So Saturday was a kickass day. I start out by getting a bunch of the A/C garbage off the '76. Well my brother and two of his friends are over and say screw it and lets try to start it.

This thing has like 3 or 4 year old gas in it, ancient fuel filter, etc. I run home and get the battery out of my Dart, they fill up the radiator and fix the distributor cap. My brother uses a screw driver in the ignition since the cylinder is gone. With a shot of ether in the carb, it starts!!!!!!8)

But it would only idle. The carb was locked up in the idle position. So as fast as a damn NASCAR pit stop we swap the carb off the GOLD one onto the '76, and fire it up again! My brother then drives the thing around my grandmas yard. Thing is that the drivers side torsion bar is broken, so the tire was rubbing the fender the whole time.

I still can't believe it started. Oh, and it has Gabriel Hijacker air shocks on the back too. Aired them up to 35 PSI. Look sweet. There are also a set of add a leaf helper springs in the back which add some rake too. Sweet

SUCKS I HAVE TO GIVE HIM THE 4SPD!!!!:bootysha:

COOL that is always awesome!!! I started a wisconsin engine the other day that has been sitting for I know 8 years... Put new points on it and it fired up and ran like a new motor, I was stoked too

Maybe you can take two and make one ? Almost all of the body parts are the same, front fenders etc - I'd do an evaluation and then pick the better of the two and go with it. I'm kind of in favor of the 73 body. Sucks you have to give this guy back a bunch of stuff like the brakes and tranny, that's stuff you'll need !

Good luck with it !

Nice score on those dusters! Looks like they got plenty of good metal on 'em
I did the same thing with my dart, bought it out of a storage unit it had been in for years, after a new cap, rotor, plugs and wires, poured some gas in the carb and she fired right up. Those slants are indestructible!

Love those names, I take it you're an AC/DC fan :thumbup:

Got some stuff done this week. Changed out the grille to the '73s with the '76 orange lenses. Looks cool. I really like it. Going to epoxy a few cracks this weekend.

Also took the two leaky tires up to the local tire shop. The front passengers isn't saveable. (I was afraid of that.) The wheel is really bent in one spot, and is nothing but a door stop now. Not to mention the tire was bad anyway.
The drivers rear tire though is good, but the rim is pretty rusty. It beaded fine and sealed, but when I checked it today it leaked. $13 wasted!

Here is the best part. The drivers floor pan in this thing is non-existent. I needed to cover it so it could be driven around. I ripped up the carpet, and used some rusty sheetmetal from a round hay-bale feeder to make some half *** floors. It isn't pretty, and isn't perfect, but it will work for now until I can make some real ones or I sell the car.

Not sure on the future for them. Half of me wants to sell them, but then some wants to keep them. DON'T KNOW!!

Love those names, I take it you're an AC/DC fan
Yep. How can you tell? :)

Hey dude. Looking good. Thats way cool that the one runs. Just an FYI, you may want to remove a certain "F" ford before the mods see. You only get one, unless they like you. lol

Just out of curiosity is that an old 656 international tractor back there, the grill kinda looks like it

Just out of curiosity is that an old 656 international tractor back there, the grill kinda looks like it
Nope, it's an IH 504. We are having carb problems with it right now. My grandfather bought it from a guy who had flipped it and broke the transmission in HALF! Welded it back together and have been using it forever. Sitting back behind it is my '53 Farmall Super C that I hope to restore one day.

So a couple of days ago I was messing around with the red '76 Duster putting a new fuel filter on it. Something I noticed was that the intake didn't have any corrosion on it, so I ran a magnet over it, and it was aluminum!! At that point I didn't connect the dots, but wondered how an aluminum 1bbl intake had found its way under the hood at some point.

Today while wrenching on it again, I realized the hood frame didn't have any rust on it, so I ran the magnet against it. IT IS ALUMINUM TOO!! That explains the overdrive 4spd transmission, and kind of explains the manual steering with A/C.

I own a Feather Duster!! Can't believe it! Ever since I was interested in Dusters, I have always wanted to own one. Too bad this thing is in too bad condition to restore. I would do it in a heartbeat! Man...

(And to those who are wondering why I didn't check the fender tag: It is rusted beyond readability.)

-
Back