High Volume Oil Pump + Windage Tray = Great For Stock Pan?

-

YoungBlood

Jolt the Squares
Reaction score
It's not likely that a high volume oil pump would suck a stock oil pan dangerously dry, but if I added a windage tray (and valley pan per-say) wouldn't that not only help with a little added power but also help get oil back to the sump rapid-like correct?

The 8 qt. moroso street/strip pans are $215 and are really sweet, but DANG do they hang low and a good windage tray can be had for $70-$80.

Or is a windage tray necessary with a HV Oil Pump and stock pan? (assuming the car is driven a lot)

What are you planning to do with the car?
I wouldn't run a HV pump with a stock pan. A windage tray is a good idea. The pan I have is this one http://www.milodon.com/oil-pans/road-race-oil-pans.asp
This is Milodon's new road race pan. Here is the thread for it http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=116154
The oil pan I had at first was this one http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MIL-30936/ but I changed to the road race one because it doesn't hang below the K frame. For either pan you go with a HV pump and windage tray work great with these two pans.
Also autoxcuda is using the HV pump and windage tray in the road race pan, I'm using a standard oil pump and a crank scraper in the road race pan.

Why the reason for the HV pump?
And I have done this same thing, and not had any oil pressure bobbles......... But maybe someone else has?

1970duster, thanks for the info and links. The milodon pan in the summit link you used to have doesn't look as deep as the moroso street/strip pan. Actually, at second glance its nearly 3in shorter. Kinda like it...

The car is gonna have lots and lots of 75+mph freeway time for 1-4 hours one way. Not racing, just aggressive cruising I suppose. Anyone do I-90 in WA in the summer? Oh yeah...

Why the reason for the HV pump?
And I have done this same thing, and not had any oil pressure bobbles......... But maybe someone else has?

The reason is I want to go 408 and the melling m72hv pump is recommended.

If I decided to stay 360 is an hv pump not recommended? The same melling hv pump "should be used on all high-performance LA and Magnum engines" according to HOW TO BUILD BIG-INCH MOPAR SMALL BLOCKS; the quote is not referrinng to 'just strokers'. Do mild street applications not count?

Get a Kevko pan...has a crank scraper...6 quarts, trap door, and doesn't hang low. They go for about $200 with the correct pickup.

The HV pump is really only needed with large bearing clearances...some people build racing engines "loose" for less parasitic loss. With good machining to put you inside the factory tolerance for bearing clearances (and no other oiling mods like full groove bearings), and the factory pump would be fine, and actually make more power (less drag). Even with a stroker, the only real change is the feed rate of the piston in the bore. I would not worry about that even (splash oiled out of the oil squirters)

Youngblood, for what your doing I'd go with the road race oil pan. Like I said autoxcuda uses the road race pan, windage tray and hv pump in a 408. I'm using a stud girdle, crank scraper, and stock oil pump in the road race oil pan all in my 340. That being said I use full Syn oil from Mobil 1

I have a Kevko pan on my yet to be installed 340. Adds an extra quart of oil to the volume, and adds some oil control devices (generic scraper, trap door etc) and still stays even with the K member. Not nearly as cool as the Milodon road race pan, but also not nearly as expensive. I had to modify the pickup to run the stock windage tray, but it was pretty easy. Definitely an improvement over the stock pan.

I'm using Mildon stock replace pan and a winage tray and the hv oil pump. I have no problems and I do 4,000 plus rpm's on the freeways and wong it out once flat out til the rev limiter kicked in at 6,500 and I kept it around there for a good 10 seconds.

The factory used to sell its 340 that way. I did remark the dipstick to read full with a fresh 5 quarts and a new oil filter, was past their fill line.

-
Back