High Volume vs Standard Volume Oil Pump

-
I've seen a few pickups that were WAY too high in the sump on non-mopars...perhaps this sorta thing could attribute greatly to a HV pump sucking air at high rpm?

Yup, I've seen that a lot myself, especially on Fords for some reason.

It's a bit of work, on most engines, but the best way to see if you <NEED> a high volume pump, is to see what oil pressure you have at about 4-5,000 RPM. Then increase the relief spring pressure. If the oil pressure is now higher then it was before, then the stock pump has enough volumm. If the pressure did not increase, then the stock pump does not have enough volumm. This is easy to do on a big block or slant six, since they have external oil pumps.

Easier than that. Slowly increase the revs on a warm engine. You'll see the oil pressure rise with RPM and then hold steady. This is the point where the pump is supplying more oil than the engine can use and the relief valve opens. On most healthy engines, this will occur below 3000 RPM.

If you use a stiffer relief valve spring, the valve won't open until a higher pressure/RPM. If you use a higher volume pump you'll just pump more oil back into the pan.

I have had lifters collapse and oil pressure drop down to nothing under hard acceleration in a 340 w HV pump and stock pan turning 7200. Dont believe pan was pumped dry, but oil deff was not at the pick up. A few episodes of that and I spun a rod bearing. Therefor I personally will never use a HV pump again w a stock pan. Probably would have lived much longer if I had not turned it over 6500. Running a kevko pan 2nd time around and am having no oiling issues up to 7500.

My first head porting experience created a 340 that would turn 7200 rpm(heads were not as impressive as it sounds) My first two runs down the track, would cause my hyd lifter to clatter all the way back to the ET Shack! added an extra quart of oil (over filled) and the problem when a way.

those of you on the Stock oil Pan/ High Volume Pump= suck dry could us the above as an example.

I added the extra Q because i thought it was uncovering the pick up tube at launch.(Young and just starting to race) Now latter on in life i know that it was NOT uncovering the pick up at launch.(60 foot times were 2.8x:happy7: ) personally i think it was the aeration of the oil at the oil pump at high rpm.

A radiator needs a pressure cap to keep the water from boiling. or to raise the boiling point. If you have a pick up tube that is causing a restriction aka creating a vacuum(lower pressure in the pickup tube) you could cause the pump to cavitation and cause micro bubbles, foam kinda. That would cause your lifter to clatter (not pump up) and as was said above damage bearing in the long run.

Swinger340 I'm glad to here your turning 7500 with you Kevko pan. as that's the one i will be using this time around. I still wish some one would come up with a larger pickup tube for the stock chassis cars.

Even if they did, you would still have to deal with pickup thread diameter for the pump.

-
Back