Highest stall speed for a street car

-
Any examples of places that sell the street type converter?

Any good high perf. converter company like Dynamic, Coan, Turbo Action, Ultimate converter, Continental, etc... I'm sure there are more. That's just the ones I remember off the top of my head. Just specify you want a "tight" converter since you drive it a lot.

My next one will most likely be an Ultimate Converter. Lenny is a Mopar guy and super sharp. Never heard a bad word about him. JMHO

Most of my stuff is stick shift but I've known people that have/had 8" converters in street cars, my friend Jeff's Demon had a 8" that flashed 6,200 but he had a W5 340 & 5.13's, he would shift at 8,600-8,800, it was a street car too he didn't own a trailer or a truck for that matter.

He did have a heck of a time getting it on a trailer when he hurt a rod bearing doing 8k burnouts, it would turn 4k just pulling itself up the ramps.

No converter will cause the engine to make more HP. If anything a low efficiency converter may even eat some hp. What a high stall converter does is allow the engine to rev into the power band much quicker, just like when you slip a clutch on takeoff during racing.

yes and no, actually torque converters multiply torque. Most are in the 1.8 to 2.0 times range. That is why an automatic with a modern converter will be as good if not better than a stick in the ET department. MPH is a different story. Since Horsepower is a mathematical equation of torque times engine speed, it is possible to make more HP with a new torque converter.

yes and no, actually torque converters multiply torque. Most are in the 1.8 to 2.0 times range. That is why an automatic with a modern converter will be as good if not better than a stick in the ET department. MPH is a different story. Since Horsepower is a mathematical equation of torque times engine speed, it is possible to make more HP with a new torque converter.

I understand and agree a torque converter multiplies torque. But it will not cause a higher reading on a dyno as expressed above.

I understand and agree a torque converter multiplies torque. But it will not cause a higher reading on a dyno as expressed above.

A torque converter can rob power by slipping. a higher horsepower reading is possible if you go from a converter thats slipping to a real tight one. I do understand your point and I agree with you that a torque converter wont make the engine more powerful.

A torque converter can rob power by slipping. a higher horsepower reading is possible if you go from a converter thats slipping to a real tight one. I do understand your point and I agree with you that a torque converter wont make the engine more powerful.

Your exactly right. That's why a person shouldn't skimp on the converter. I remember a fellow on the board once posting how he picked up nearly 5 mph and dropped a good amount of e.t. in the 1/4 by going from a cheap converter to a high efficiency converter.

:toothy10:um...what IS a stall converter??:-D

im trying to learn all i can here. gonna be takin automotive courses at the Santa Rosa J.C after i graduate in June:cheers:so im trying to get a lil of the info in mind. that way, i roughly know whats goin on haha!

Your exactly right. That's why a person shouldn't skimp on the converter. I remember a fellow on the board once posting how he picked up nearly 5 mph and dropped a good amount of e.t. in the 1/4 by going from a cheap converter to a high efficiency converter.

lol. your right. it cracks me up seeing so many guys spent $8K in a motor, god knows what in the body and paint and then go cheap on a converter. its nuts. its not like a good efficient converter is all that much money when you look at the total picture. and the converter will make or break your combo. it is truley amazing what the right converter for your combo will do for your car.

here , read through here. some very good info here. http://editions.amospublishing.com/...1&f=1&id=5e0d8d52-c564-4a0a-ab2f-4e2b55714725

I have a 904 behind a 340 on my 1971 Dart, , don't know what the hp ratings is. My buddy gave me the 904, had it checked out and it was all new looking internally, put on new seals and paid over 250 bucks for a stock converter made into a 2500 stall. The guy said if you run too much of a stall on a street machine it makes the tranny run way to hot. The guy is good at converters, that's all he does, He's somewhere in Simi Valley CA. I was going to change to a 727 (having it built right now--stock), but after reading all this stuff about the 904 I might just keep it and install a transgo shift kit in it

I have a 904 behind a 340 on my 1971 Dart, , don't know what the hp ratings is. My buddy gave me the 904, had it checked out and it was all new looking internally, put on new seals and paid over 250 bucks for a stock converter made into a 2500 stall. The guy said if you run too much of a stall on a street machine it makes the tranny run way to hot. The guy is good at converters, that's all he does, He's somewhere in Simi Valley CA. I was going to change to a 727 (having it built right now--stock), but after reading all this stuff about the 904 I might just keep it and install a transgo shift kit in it

put a deep pan on the trans and install a large tranny cooler ....

:toothy10:um...what IS a stall converter??:-D

im trying to learn all i can here. gonna be takin automotive courses at the Santa Rosa J.C after i graduate in June:cheers:so im trying to get a lil of the info in mind. that way, i roughly know whats goin on haha!

There is no such thing as a stall converter. LOL
It's a torque converter!

I see and hear things sometimes that make me want to bust up, but I try to be polite.

that was true 30 years ago. if you have you total package together properly then the new converters built today survive just fine on the street. its like anything else though everything has to match. your 2500 could produce more heat then my 3800 stahl if you have your combo all mis matched. infact if the guy took a stock converter and tweaked it to make it a 2500 stahl i would bet that it would produce a lot of heat. that is old school thinking and tricks that are no longer needed. no matter what though if your gonna drive your car hard put a deep pan and an external trans cooler on the car.

here read through this. it explains modern converters and how they do what they do pretty good... http://editions.amospublishing.com/...1&f=1&id=5e0d8d52-c564-4a0a-ab2f-4e2b55714725

-
Back