Hilborn Fuel injection - small block Mopar

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
A friend that deals in Mopar parts found this at a swap meet covered in 30 years of shelf dust in a banana box, with this fancy belt driven fuel pump. All the hard parts say Hilborn. Anybody ever seen a set up like this or know anything about its use???
123_1(1).jpeg

123_1(2).jpeg

123_1(3).jpeg

123_1(4).jpeg

123_1(5).jpeg

123_1.jpeg

Drag race or Sprint car use only. They either idle or are wide open.

Yep, I race only. Idle circuit and tune to wide open throttle. Known as manual fuel injection. All the short track modified’s ran them in the burg I grew up in. Really cool piece. If you had a high end, max effort engine, thats what you used. Really well suited for alcohol fuel.

I believe Hilborn closed their doors recently... for good.
Yup, that's what happens when Holley acquires someone.
Holley Shuts Down Iconic Hilborn Brand After 70 Years
Very cool piece, though. Tough to get parts for, but like rmchrgr said- they've been converting them to EFI for years now. I'd have snapped it up, too- small block Mopar units are tough to find. Don't know what I'd use it on at the moment, but it would have a place of honor in my office!

Last edited:
fellow around here had one on a Chevy II, cool nite, dark, see blue cloud hovering above the stacks. coolest thing I've seen!

Search "Alkydigger". He does all kinda Hilborn style EFI stuff.

Funny this came up. My brother just picked up this flow bench for testing these… We’re working on how to use it for the Lucas injection we use, and maybe do some of the hillborn, watermen and such down the road…

IMG_3906.jpeg

Funny this came up. My brother just picked up this flow bench for testing these… We’re working on how to use it for the Lucas injection we use, and maybe do some of the hillborn, watermen and such down the road…

View attachment 1716227847
You say "just picked up this flow bench" like he got it at the WalMart. lol

Stan, that would look good in the Colt...kinda like Rod Shop's wagon. I know, wrong heads.
Yea I know, but would cost as much as I have in the Colt just to buy the engine!
There was a Weslake engine just a few years ago, went for like 3 or 4 thousand if I remember correctly.

Looks cool but good luck getting it to work. Those stack systems will only run on alky, they don't work with gas. You'll need to find an old timer with a big box of pills to dial it in for you. Lots of compression, fixed timing and a high idle speed will be your friend. If your tuner is really good you'll be able to pull to the line, do a burnout and launch the car without it stalling or dying on you!

If the OP is thinking about actually using the system, he should get in touch with Kinsler.
Kinsler Fuel Injection
They're one of the only places I've heard of that still have the knowledge/expertise, parts, and willingness to work with the old Hilborn, Crower, and Enderle mechanical systems.

Looks cool but good luck getting it to work. Those stack systems will only run on alky, they don't work with gas. You'll need to find an old timer with a big box of pills to dial it in for you. Lots of compression, fixed timing and a high idle speed will be your friend. If your tuner is really good you'll be able to pull to the line, do a burnout and launch the car without it stalling or dying on you!

Stack injection works for gasoline. Done a lot of them and I went back to gasoline myself from alcohol. Alcohol is over rated.

If the OP is thinking about actually using the system, he should get in touch with Kinsler.
Kinsler Fuel Injection
They're one of the only places I've heard of that still have the knowledge/expertise, parts, and willingness to work with the old Hilborn, Crower, and Enderle mechanical systems.
They are good, but super expensive. Check out this guy also..

We had a customer bring in a small block Chevy with a vintage Hilborn setup that had been converted to EFI. The guy who did the conversion charged him a bunch of money and gave him a smoke show about how great it would run. Ran like crap. Couldn't even get it to idle cleanly. So paying a bunch of money to someone is no guarantee that this stuff will work.
I've worked on several Hilborn setups over the years and they have all run like crap at idle. They typically run okay at WOT, but they have all sucked at low speeds. Guys love how they look but I'd never recommend them for the street. Even when converted to EFI. If you want stacks on the street step up to Borla.

-
Back