Hitchhiking

-

breakstuff

Reaction score
We were discussing how people used to hitchhike back in the day and how you don't see it anymore. I remember as a kid we'd pick people up if we had room in the car for them. Why do you reckon it's not common anymore? Nervous people? too many slasher films? People are just plain nuttier than they used to be?

People are sick in the head today. Its not like it used to be where just a few people were kinda crazy. Now people are sick in the head to the point that nobody trusts anybody anymore. With things in the news like murder, kidnapping, movie theatre shootings, all that. The world has changed and peoples minds have changed. Ill still pick people up depending on the situation like if its raining or something but i tell them to hop in the bed of the truck and ill take them as far as i can

Back in the mid to late fifties us kids would hitch hike 8 to 10 miles
to town to see the movies on Saturday. This was in Southeastern
Kentucky. It was very safe during those times. The weekly
serial at the movie was Buck Rogers.

I wouldn't dare hitch a ride nowadays and I would never pick up
anyone unless they were in uniform. I will take a chance on
a soldier.

Your kidding, its illegal to hitchhike. If so, we need to change the Constitution, lol

As far as I know hitchhiking is just illegal on the expressways here in Michigan. The on ramps its OK but not the main freeway.

When I was a kid, my parents often picked up hitch-hikers, but they always knew who they were, being in a small town in upstate NY. When I got my first "real" job at a service station while in H.S., I would ride the bus home from school, eat, change, and often would walk the mile to the "hard road" and hitch-hike the 7 miles back to town. One guy picked me up a lot because he was on his way home from work. Did some while in the army too.

In 1968, the middle of my peek hitch-hiking years, the U. S. population was about 200 million, since then the U. S. has increased by over 100 million (currently about 314 million). My point? There are a lot more crazies, partly because there are a lot more people. And... yeah, it is a very different world. Didn't have 24 hr cable back then reporting all the awful news from every corner of the world either.

When I was a kid I would hitch to the city swimming pool rather than wait on the stage coach and later hitch to my Jiu-Jitsu Karate dojo instead of walking the 3 miles like my father wanted me to.

When I drove I would always pick up "heads" and uniforms hitching. Now, with all the nut case news reports I will pass up what looks to be just a person needing a ride because I can't legally carry a loaded gun with me.

And no, I'm not looking to shoot somebody but have had a few hitchers in the past I was very happy to drop off.

This is why I don't pick up anyone. Eileen Wuornos killed 7 grown men.....

Attachments

• th_Aileen_Wuornos.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 212
  • th_aileenwuornos.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 225
  • th_psycho-females-aileen-wuornos.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 214
I kinda think the whacky people are at about the same level. It more know now-a-days because people now have 24hours news coverage, internet, and social media.

People are sick in the head today. Its not like it used to be where just a few people were kinda crazy. Now people are sick in the head to the point that nobody trusts anybody anymore. With things in the news like murder, kidnapping, movie theatre shootings, all that. The world has changed and peoples minds have changed. Ill still pick people up depending on the situation like if its raining or something but i tell them to hop in the bed of the truck and ill take them as far as i can

I really dont think the ratio has changed. Just the number of people has increased, saine and crazy alike.
If you were a hitch hiker back when, and a vehicle came along one every few minutes, odds are one of them would stop. Today there is a constant steam of vehicles and none of them stop. Most are in too big a hurry and/or assume someone else will stop.

last one i picked up i was glad i had a firearm on me. he was going about 6 miles past where i live so i agreed to take him where he needed to go......no one was at that place, jumped in my truck saying that this place was in route back towards my place. told him i needed to get home and was just going to drop him off on the main road, he was going to have to walk from there. guy came unglued. pulled the firearm out of its holster and told him enough was enough, get out.

In Pa., hitch hiking is illegal. I found out when trying to get to work in the last big snow storm we had, when my car got stuck in my driveway. I was walking in 2 feet of snow with my thumb out when a cop pulled up. I received a citation and fine.

In Pa., hitch hiking is illegal. I found out when trying to get to work in the last big snow storm we had, when my car got stuck in my driveway. I was walking in 2 feet of snow with my thumb out when a cop pulled up. I received a citation and fine.

But no ride??
bastard could have at least given you a ride....
i have picked up this person a few times. he walks with a pair of canes. some how he manages to get from reardan to ford, about 16 miles or so. when ever i see him i pick him up. last time it was pouring so hard i almost did not see him. i do offer rides when it is in the single digits and see people walking out by me, i live in a rural area.

I stopped picking up hitchers when one guy slashed my rear seats because he said he thought my car was too nice looking and he was jealous. I did nail him with a small claims suit and received justice. It's just not worth risking all the hassle and possibly worse. Though I would definitely pick up someone in uniform - but they aren't supposed to be hitching in uniform! (28 years in the USAF myself). So if you see a serviceman in uniform, pull over and ask them if they would like a ride.:blob:

I don't buy that there is the same percentage of crazy people out there today as there was 30-40 years ago. I think there has been a huge increase in people becoming "dehumanized" in this country. You see it everywhere anymore. 40 years ago if kids had issues in school they had fist fights. These days they go nuts and kill classmates. I used to hitchhike all over in my home county as a young teenager without worry. My buddy and I even hitched from NYS out to the west coast right after high school. The only incident that I can ever recall was getting picked up by a dude in a PU and sitting in the middle and having him grabing me on my leg - which didn't last for long... The country is much more dangerous today than it was 40 years ago and it is not just because we have more people..

I'm a cop and I'm telling you that's jacked the f***k up.

Around here a lot of people hitchhike. I've picked up a guy once way out in the boonies but I wouldn't ever do it with my family with me.

-
Back