HO Scale Model Trains???

-

CudaChick1968

Leanna ~ The Mistress of Metal
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago Billy got out his old HO scale train stuff and is setting it up in the basement just for something to do. (Obviously not nearly enough projects around here LMAO!!!) It's cool seeing the layout that can be put together with no budget whatsoever. A couple old cans of spray insulation made a fabulous mountain.

Anybody out there in FABOLand have any old HO scale stuff they want to get rid of??? Doesn't matter what -- engines, rail cars, scenery, buildings, etc. Reasonably priced would be fantastic, or a trade for some powder coating work would be even better.

I know there have to be more train fans out there. I digged the thread Mary started with the old real train photos -- amazing stuff there girl! Also got a kick out of seeing the pics of the Durango/Silverton narrow gauge. I was hoping to see the guy who always raced the train on his white horse (and won, a few times a day every summer) but he must have been retired by then.

I may have some stuff. I love HO scale trains. My Grandpa has a layout that I grew up with. I will let you know. I am sure there is some stuff for the duster that will need powder coated. Do you do that chrome looking color?

I boxed up alot of my HO stuff for the time being till I get my basement drywalled and a new layout built. I would be into trading some trains I won't use for some powdercoating.

John

Sorry Leanna, no HO stuff. But I do still have the Lionel set my father gave me the Christmas right after I turned 3. He was an engineer for Union Pacific. He passed away just before I turned 8 so it's always been one of my treasures. I'm sure he's the reason I've always loved trains.
Enjoy Billy's old train stuff. It's important.

I've got a ton of HO stuff. Some N, S, and a lot of O scale, too.
I no longer have a layout, but I am considering build one again, sine the kids are all moved out now, and we have a 4 BR house, for just the wife and I.

I've got "O", an old lionel set I bought in the 60's with money I earned throwing newspapers. Just helped another guy fab some mountains and tunnels for his layout out of styrofoam and bondo.

I have a tyco complete ho set from the late 70s I have all the original paper work ect. I got it for Christmas and never set it up. I have been asking $75.00 plus shipping.

002 (2)_640x480.jpg

I have a lot of HO but it is all buried in my basement. I always had fun with it.

CudaChick1968:
Had a huge HO train set when I was a kid. Mountains, tunnels, trestles, complete town with streets, trees, cars and people. Enjoyed messin' with that stuff for years. Sorry to say it's long gone now. Gave most of it to my nephews years ago. Wish I had some left I'd be more than happy to give them to you. Hopefully someone here will have some odds n ends for you.

several train clubs in this area,,,one of the biggest displays i ever seeen,,its been runing since 1961 all hand made,,i havent visited them all yet,,

A couple weeks ago Billy got out his old HO scale train stuff and is setting it up in the basement just for something to do. (Obviously not nearly enough projects around here LMAO!!!) It's cool seeing the layout that can be put together with no budget whatsoever. A couple old cans of spray insulation made a fabulous mountain.

Anybody out there in FABOLand have any old HO scale stuff they want to get rid of??? Doesn't matter what -- engines, rail cars, scenery, buildings, etc. Reasonably priced would be fantastic, or a trade for some powder coating work would be even better.

I know there have to be more train fans out there. I digged the thread Mary started with the old real train photos -- amazing stuff there girl! Also got a kick out of seeing the pics of the Durango/Silverton narrow gauge. I was hoping to see the guy who always raced the train on his white horse (and won, a few times a day every summer) but he must have been retired by then.

Talk about bringing back the dead !!! Wish I would've seen this back a while ago,as I inherited some HO trains from my Dad after he passed !! Just put them into storage as we are trying to down size and move !! How about 200 rail cars, and I think around 20 locomotives ?? If you're still interested Leanna,shoot me a PM and maybe we can work something out !!

Almost forgot, I've also got a LOT of buildings,trees and all that other schtuff that goes with this hobby !!

Well, since it's been dredged up...

You still lookin'?

I've got about 1/2 dozen "mid-quality" pieces that I've decided aren't up to my standards for prototype fidelity.

Mostly assembled Athearn kits.

You runnin horn hook couplers or Kaydees?

These go for 6-10 bucks each used retail at shows.

I'd be happy to get 3 each if I could sell them all at the same time.

The couplers are worth almost $1 a pair by themselves.

Just like building a car, a cool model railroad is a long term project too. Yes the thread is old but the interest is still very much alive!

Thanks for the offer Dennis! I returned your PM.

YYI, I honestly have no idea what you're talking about -- happily ignorant of train stuff LOL (hey, I've got enough to do) -- so I'll have Billy read this later when he gets up. His FABO handle is TheMOBFiat just in case he contacts you and doesn't mention it to me.

Thank you guys!!

I think I have some HO stuff. Yall are welcomed to all of it. I just have to get it dug out. It may take a while.

I have some pics, although I do not model HO. I model large scale (1:20.3).

This is a critter I scratch built using two MDC Big Hustler cabs, some Big Hustler detail parts, some parts I made and all on a Hartland Mack power truck.

Attachments

• CRITTER3.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 199
  • PAINTED2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 194
  • GEARBOX.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 190
  • CRITTERMOTOR2.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 195
  • DETAILS.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 190
Here's more. It runs like a beast. I put some big lead weights in it. We took it to a buddy's garden layout in north Georgia and it pulled over 50 cars.....all that he had. lol It's a workhorse. And yes, the lift bars really work. They really uncouple the couplers when you pull them up. I love large scale because of the level of detail. Lemmie see you do that with HO. Ain't happenin. lol I added some big bull horns on the front since these pics.

Attachments

• DETAILS1.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 196
  • LIFTBAR.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 208
I have lots more pics, but photobucket always slows my computer WAY down and makes it freeze up too. So I rarely go there anymore.

Well, since it's been dredged up...

You still lookin'?

I've got about 1/2 dozen "mid-quality" pieces that I've decided aren't up to my standards for prototype fidelity.

Mostly assembled Athearn kits.

You runnin horn hook couplers or Kaydees?

These go for 6-10 bucks each used retail at shows.

I'd be happy to get 3 each if I could sell them all at the same time.

The couplers are worth almost $1 a pair by themselves.

did anything ever come standard with the kaydees?

I always thought the horn hook came standard on them all and the kaydees were an aftermarket add on ......a nice add on, I have seen auto dis-connect/connect accessories work on kaydees only.....but like you say they are spendy.

New stuff now mostly comes with KD "compatible" which may or may not be that specific brand. A few still include horn hooks, but you have to swap them yourself.

Some of the new stuff is truly amazing, with details down to a year range for modifications and lettering fonts, on top of builder specific and road specific details.

Of course it's not unusual to pay $25-$60 for a single car !!!

Lots of high end stuff come with Kaydees now.

-
Back