Hobbies.....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Sure can be expensive. Wife took up quilting. She has a 3k machine, a fabric cutting gizmo.....

http://www.accuquilt.com/fabric-cutters/go-fabric-cutter.html along with $500 or worth of dies (with more coming)

as well as several tackle style boxes full of odds and ends. She went to an estate sale a few weeks ago, this elderly woman had a 4000 square foot "hobby room" and was selling it all. Gave Ernie $400 or so, she spent it all on fabric. We now have half a dozen good size tubs of fabric.

Neighbor gave her a 1950's era sewing machine....she had a shop go thru it and tune it up. She is bugging me to get her another sewing machine, a simple non-embroidering one to carry to her club meetings. She belongs to one club, her friend is starting another one up closer to home.

We went to a shop in Athol ID a month or ago. They were using a long arm......$9500 sewing machine.....And we thought cars were pricey.....

But it is nice her interested in something. She has made a couple of small quilts already. Her first big one is nearing completion, do not think it will be ready for the quilting show next month but you never know. She has a few projects that she is working on while she is trying to finish her quilt.

I'm very fortunate in that respect.

About 3 1/2 years ago, my wife started making polymer clay babies.

The second year I knew we had to claim the income on our taxes, because she had ...wait for it...$6,000 in ebay receipts, next year was 10K, and last year 12K.

Her goal for this year was 20 but she got elected as show coordinator of her "guild" and had to plan the displays at the convention and arrange loging for out of town members. She still may do 10K+.

I had no idea one of a kind dolls was such a lucrative cottage industry.

Hopefully your wife will fare in a similar way :)

Sure can be expensive. Wife took up quilting. She has a 3k machine, a fabric cutting gizmo.....

http://www.accuquilt.com/fabric-cutters/go-fabric-cutter.html along with $500 or worth of dies (with more coming)

as well as several tackle style boxes full of odds and ends. She went to an estate sale a few weeks ago, this elderly woman had a 4000 square foot "hobby room" and was selling it all. Gave Ernie $400 or so, she spent it all on fabric. We now have half a dozen good size tubs of fabric.

Neighbor gave her a 1950's era sewing machine....she had a shop go thru it and tune it up. She is bugging me to get her another sewing machine, a simple non-embroidering one to carry to her club meetings. She belongs to one club, her friend is starting another one up closer to home.

We went to a shop in Athol ID a month or ago. They were using a long arm......$9500 sewing machine.....And we thought cars were pricey.....

But it is nice her interested in something. She has made a couple of small quilts already. Her first big one is nearing completion, do not think it will be ready for the quilting show next month but you never know. She has a few projects that she is working on while she is trying to finish her quilt.

Awesome hobby, my mom does this , she made a quilt for my 40th birthday. It incorporates the colors of the master bedroom rather nicely Your wife can make some serious cash doing this, as these are unique hand made one of a kind items.

Maybe if you ask her, and show genuine interest, and maybe help her, she can make you a smaller car or mopar themed quilt to cover up with in the wintertime while watching TV in your favorite chair. Be supportive of her hard work, always remember that she derives the same enjoyment and satisfaction from her quilting as we do from our car hobby, plus its just plain cool.

Matt

Here's one my mother made a few years back for my father. If you look real close in the picture you can see the lines from each pieces. this is several triangles put together to make those designs both in color and the black.

Attachments

• 067.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 188

The second year I knew we had to claim the income on our taxes, because she had ...wait for it...$6,000 in ebay receipts, next year was 10K, and last year 12K.

Her goal for this year was 20 but she got elected as show coordinator of her "guild" and had to plan the displays at the convention and arrange loging for out of town members. She still may do 10K+.

Nothing like a bit of income form a hobby. I do not know what her plans are at this point. I do know she has had someone ask her about how much she would charge to make them a quilt. She needs some more time under her belt before she ventures down that road.

She is trying to get her guilt done for the show but it does not look good. I believe there is another quilting show a month or two later so maybe for that one.

By any chance could you post a picture or two of your wife's dolls?

One of the women that is in her club makes baskets. Think Ernie ordered one of the kits to give it a try. As I type this she is searching for a deal for the batting for her quilt....

Awesome hobby, my mom does this , she made a quilt for my 40th birthday. It incorporates the colors of the master bedroom rather nicely Your wife can make some serious cash doing this, as these are unique hand made one of a kind items.

Maybe if you ask her, and show genuine interest, and maybe help her, she can make you a smaller car or mopar themed quilt to cover up with in the wintertime while watching TV in your favorite chair. Be supportive of her hard work, always remember that she derives the same enjoyment and satisfaction from her quilting as we do from our car hobby, plus its just plain cool.

Matt

She is on the lookout for auto related fabrics to make me a quilt. Tony Fields sent us a disc with a bunch of pictures of a quilt he has. It was made out of car show type of shirts. Sparked her interest.
I am very supportive of her hobby, I will lend a hand when she needs it. Sometimes the best thing I can do is to just stay out side and let her work.
She has a lot of ideas rambling thru her head as to what she wants to make. Linda, the woman that got her interested in quilting, and her have gone to several estate sales hunting down fabric. They have gone on several shopping trips as well. It is a good feeling to see Ernestina so interested in something. I was hoping she would pick up knitting. My Mother used to knit. I have a dozen or so beautiful sweaters that she made for me. Ernie did go to a class but just was not that into it.....

Here's one my mother made a few years back for my father. If you look real close in the picture you can see the lines from each pieces. this is several triangles put together to make those designs both in color and the black.

Quilt looks great.

I love making models from WWII Revel Airfix Hasagawa etc. My Dad was over seas in WWII, he was a dispatch rider. One day he was sitting on his butt as he said on this hill near the east coast of Italy about half way up the boot. I know the town but I can't find my atlas. Anyway he hears this noise and knows it's a fighter but can't see it because he's looking up. Finally he looks down in the gully and here's this German Messerschmitt 109 blasting through the deep gorge at full throttle going as fast as it would go. It was so close to dad he said he could see the pilot as plain as day..for a second. So the first aeroplane I got was a 109 when I was about eight or nine. I've built a ton of models but the 109s out number the rest lol. Being a model builder I get a huge charge out of this vid.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL9qH27WUvc"]Hitler wants to build an Airfix Spitfire (Der Untergang Spoof) - YouTube[/ame]

Besides music and cars...
Wood working, model building, model railroading, photography, and collecting transportation memorabilia.

Besides music and cars...
Wood working, model building, model railroading, photography, and collecting transportation memorabilia.

Atlas O gage scale.2 rail is what i have. I have locomotives i have built from kits.

Also models, and slot cars.

Reading this is dejavie.
My wife has 10 sewing michines & when I ask how come you need so many she tells me they are all special like your tools they all do a curtin job. I cant argue with that.

We had to move furniture out of two rooms so we could fit everything inn.

So we have hit a comprimise I stay out of the sewing rooms & she stays out of the shed. PERFECT

Atlas O gage scale.2 rail is what i have. I have locomotives i have built from kits.

Also models, and slot cars.

Used to be into HO scale stuff. If I had the space I probably still would be. My Uncle gave my an old Fleischmann Locomotive

View attachment locomotive.jpg

very similar to this one. Was still in the original box. My Dad and I only used it on our Christmas layout one year, other than that had no run time on it. My Ex was with me when I had it appraised. Thing was worth close to 3k if I remember right. Well, she left and so did it. Would like to get back into some day....

Reading this is dejavie.
My wife has 10 sewing michines & when I ask how come you need so many she tells me they are all special like your tools they all do a curtin job. I cant argue with that.

We had to move furniture out of two rooms so we could fit everything inn.

So we have hit a comprimise I stay out of the sewing rooms & she stays out of the shed. PERFECT

Sounds like a good compromise to me.....

mine is R/C airboats
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd5xfq800i0"]71Dartswinger Cutting Loose / 2010 RCAA Fall Fall-Out - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i6e15WDCvY"]212.MOD - YouTube[/ame]

this is 2 of the 5 i have

I haven't but one guy who builds scale ones did it went down in about 5 ft deep ( all of mine have air tight compartments or flotation built in)
so he waded in and picked it up after he found it. we have water proof compartments for radio gear so most of the time no damage.for the motor just pull plug turn over to get water out and start back up.

Talking about your wife and dolls, my wife collects, Trades, Sells Barbies,and Barbie style dolls and the Monster high dolls. It's like she has her own deal like us guys do buying selling and trading mopar parts, Last week I went with her to a Convention in Vegas and had a good time hanging out with all the guys talking cars and BS wile the wives did the doll thing, Had a good time and even won me some more car money, She was asking me a short wile ago how much I would have in the car and she told me that's was fine she had more in her dolls than I would in the car and I told her 10,000 but she said that was bought and value of her dolls LMAO, I thought cars was expensive

-
Back