holley 1920 bowl vent question

-
Reaction score
Just finished the rebuild on wifes Holley 1920 from her 73 Swinger /6 - but something seems missing . The valve doesn't open or pop up like I think it should . Its not the rubber top hat older style but the place disc with rubber gasket . Seems like it should have a spring pushing it up, but it was just sitting in there. I looked in the Holley manual and hunted pictures here in the forums but couldn't find a "for sure" answer . And if it does need a spring where can I order one (they want me to buy a whole used one just to lok at our local junk yard) ? Any help is appreciated. thanks -dt

On the '71-up ('70-up in California) 1920, the little plastic stub at the top of the bowl vent should be very lightly loaded into the popped-up position and at curb idle there should be 0.015" clearance between the operating link and the plastic stub. If no spring loading, take it apart and figure out visually what's broken or missing. I don't recall if it's a small coil spring or another type of mechanism that provides the loading; nothing is called out in the way of service parts for the vent valve.

I couldnt find a spring listed or in the diagrams ( just the vent bowl spring , the one on the arm which pushes it down as opposed to up ). the carb currently has nothing at all there and it just sits in there . So something must be missing . Hate to have to buy another carb just to see and get whatever partt is missing but its not in any of the rebuild kits either that I can tell . This carb seems tight and should work well if I can get the vent operational .

so does anybody know for sure - is there a spring missing from underneath my bowl vent assembly that pushes it up and is there anyway to get one without buying a whole new carb ?

Doug,
there is suposed to be a spring in there as i recall. i dont know where to get one. if your dealing with that pick a part yard in hendo, they are crooks. they will charge you what they want unless you point out the posted price on the board on the entry shack. i think a carb should be $25 plus a core. for the core buy the carb, gut it for what you need and then take it back for the core charge. that may be the only way to get your spring
Paul

thanks everyone . darn I kind of figured thats what was missing though . just it (the spirnt ) just sit on the bottom of the bowl and come up to the vent and valve valve (so probably a pretty tall spring ? )

No, actually it's a short, fat, weak, coil spring that is just under the vent valve. It's approx. 1/2" in diameter and 3/4" long.

-
Back