Holley 4412 500cfm Performance?

-

Jonnylightening

Reaction score
Hey guys just curious as to if anyone knows how to get more performance outta this 2bbl. Im wanting to use it on my sleeper truck and don't really want to use a 4bbl. If anyone knows how to or anyone that can get more performance out of it please let me know

i gotta do some looking up to see what it is, but have to do a little shopping and get a pizza for dinner. Have you done any jetting, squirters, or any tuning mods on it yet?

One of the basics is to check the accelerator pump linkage clearance, if it is too big, it will hurt performance. And make sure that the butterflies are not uncovering the transfer slots at idle.

RustyRatRod is great with carburetors. See if you can get him to jump in on this thread.

You're not going to get anywhere with increasing flow, because you are limited by venturi size and throttle bore size. You can do some fine tuning with pump cams and even go with a 50cc Dominator pump and pump arm. You can mill the choke tower and smooth and polish the transition into the venturis, but I never liked doing that, because it really adds a very minimum amount and the possibility for worsening flow outweighs any gains. Again, unless you change venturi and throttle bore sizes, you'll not change flow much at all, regardless of what some "experts" may argue.

i gotta do some looking up to see what it is, but have to do a little shopping and get a pizza for dinner. Have you done any jetting, squirters, or any tuning mods on it yet?

One of the basics is to check the accelerator pump linkage clearance, if it is too big, it will hurt performance. And make sure that the butterflies are not uncovering the transfer slots at idle.

RustyRatRod is great with carburetors. See if you can get him to jump in on this thread.

No I just got it this past fall, just tryin to plan ahead. I'm building a mildish 451, but i'm throwin it in my d100 and I want to make it as stock or gutless looking as possible.

The 4412 was a good replacement for Ford 2 barrels. I adapted one to my 69 Roadrunner-383 back in the day and didn't notice much difference over the stock AFB. Back in the day they sold for $49.95. lol

The 4412 was a good replacement for Ford 2 barrels. I adapted one to my 69 Roadrunner-383 back in the day and didn't notice much difference over the stock AFB. Back in the day they sold for $49.95. lol

Well that aleast gives me some hope. I know though if I'd put a 4bbl on it itd scream like no tomorrow, but I just wanna make it "look" sluggish. My plans are to build the 451, modded 516 heads, manifolds, bigger cam, etc. Also I got it for a real good price...FREE!!

There are companies that mod them to flow into the 800 CFM range. It ain't cheap.

Well that aleast gives me some hope. I know though if I'd put a 4bbl on it itd scream like no tomorrow, but I just wanna make it "look" sluggish. My plans are to build the 451, modded 516 heads, manifolds, bigger cam, etc. Also I got it for a real good price...FREE!!

Then throw a 4bbl on it and don't open the hood!

This was the ticket years ago for Ford 221,260,289,302 Falcons and Mustangs Mainly because it was a direct bolt on and it was an increase from 350 cfm to 500. And they did perform better. They were a popular replacement for truck 352's and 390's. As RRR said there are company's out there that do a lot of work on them for race classes that are limited to 2 bl carbs.

This was the ticket years ago for Ford 221,260,289,302 Falcons and Mustangs Mainly because it was a direct bolt on and it was an increase from 350 cfm to 500. And they did perform better. They were a popular replacement for truck 352's and 390's. As RRR said there are company's out there that do a lot of work on them for race classes that are limited to 2 bl carbs.

Please remember that Holley "500" cfm 2 bbls ARE NOT 500 cfm!!! when compared to a Holley 4bbl. They are measured at different vacuum drops, IE 1.5" vs 3"

I think Holley "500" 2bbl are actually more like 350-390

Also, different manufacturs do things different as well. A 650 Carter used to be flowed "wet" so it's actually more flow than a 650 Holley which is flowed "dry."

if you are concerned with fuel mileage don't use this carb ! with a 50 cc accelerator pump its hard in stop and go traffic on fuel ,when they modify it they go with the 30cc pump with bigger jets , throttle plates are 1 11/16 stock and 1 3/4 modified to flow 670 cfm .and the modified carbs make 500hp on the stockcars,when used with single plane manifold.

IF you can find one , Holley made a 6425 two bbl 600 CFM with annular boosters model 2300 looks just like a 4412 . Used for circle track racing mainly but a beast on the street, I got one setting on the shelf . If you could tame it , would make a real sleeper wake up .

-
Back