Holley 600 carb-4160

-

sublimeswinger

SUBLIME Senior Member
Reaction score
Im looking at this carb for my build. How are they? Is there a better one? Im worried about the non adjustable part. Its the 4160

Carbs are like underwear. Wear a few and select what you like.
The Holley if fine. Easy to tune. All carbs have there pros and cons.

Looks like a good old Holley 1850. Good street carb, simple, durable, works well on a mild engine. How much adjustability do you really need? If you want something reliable, this would be a reasonable choice. If you want something to monkey around with until it runs worse and wastes gas, buy one of those really expensive carbs.

He he he w/ or at Cheif.

I would rather get it brand spankin new to avoid any issue. But then again, that's not a guarrnetee ethier. Not that I ever had a problem.

That carb is just as adjustable as any other Holley 4160 series carb, it just doesn't have externally adjustable floats, you have to take the bowl off and bend tabs on the float to make an adjustment. Primary jets can be changed as can secondary springs, accelerator pump cams and shooters.

The secondary metering plate can be swapped for a metering block (holley sells a kit with the block, longer screws, a longer fuel tube and gaskets) with screw in jets and will then be a 4150 carb. Or, you can buy and aftermarket plate that accepts screw in jets. You can also swap on bowls that have provisions for external float adjustment if that becomes an issue.

I have a Holley 600 that has adjustable floats and never had to touch them. It also ran a 13.7 @ 102 with a very traction limited 2.2 sec. 60' on the 360 in my 68 Barracuda.

IMHO, I would spend the $240 from Summit or Jegs and get a new one.

I just put on a 4150 600 cfm double pumper with mechanical secondaries on my 69 340 swinger.Quite a difference especially in bottom end as compared to the original avs.

ok new it is. What about a Demon road jr., i think it called

i purchased a Road Demon and had troubles trying to tune it on the bottom end. I called Barry Grant's tech line and the only help I got was you should have purchased a 650 Speed Demon. I did a little digging and found that the only difference between the 725 Road Demon and the 650 Speed Demon is the main body and main jet sizes. I again called Barry Grant to see if I could purchase a main body and was told no they don't sell them as replacement parts.

IMHO, I would stay with holley, there are 100's of folks that specialize in them and you can get any part you need either from Holley or the aftermarket.

Thanks. My buddy bought a Demon and it came with flow results from the test they so called did. He then had problems, He took it off, and found that the ports or something were clogged with some sort of crap. It came that way from them, so how did they do flow test when it was all clogged up? It sure looks purdy though.

As of late, I have been hearing poor quality control from BG. Don ! 4secondsflat will clear these up for you before you get the carb.

-
Back